"With my own bare hands" . . . ?

Does it really make such a huge difference to guys if a girl is wearing rings on her ring fingers? (NOT engagement or wedding rings, of course...) I read somewhere that girls are expected to keep their hands bare unless they're married or engaged because it discourages guys from approaching them. Is this true?

• Yes, having rings on your fingers intimidates/discourages guys from approaching a girl.
  • No, having rings on your fingers does not intimidate/discourage guys from approaching a girl.

Most Helpful Guy

• One might be confused to think that you are married.

Other than that, I don't think it will be a discouragement.

• Thanks. Would it be confusing just to have a ring on my left hand in general (not on my "ring finger")?

• That's what I thought, though the article seemed to point out that guys will see bling and run, regardless of which left-hand finger it's on.

• Nah. I consider that last bit of information to be false. I'm sure some guys might disagree with me.

What Guys Said 5

• If you want to encourage guys to approach, there are parts that it would better to keep bare than your hands! :P

• LMAO! I'm sure. I'm more of a subtle gal, though, lol.

• ==> which, of course is just weird, so I didn't want him to ask me out by the fifth time he acted all obsessed about it.

Anyway, I saw the article and wondered how important the ring issue really is. I've always worn them as part of a fashion statement, but now that I'm professional, etc., I only wear the one sentimental ring on my right hand every day.

• Eh. I can't imagine that deters anyone. If anything it gives a conversation starter as the one guy demonstrated. Odd that he got all crazy about marital status. Not a typical guy move.

Anyway, feel free to friend me if you'd like to chat further. This is amusing stuff for sure!

• Depends, if the rings are obviously not wedding/engagement rings then it's fine. The problem is that sometimes it is very hard to know, a lot of rings could be a wedding/engagement ring.

• I often look at girls left ring finger because a lot of girls seem to wear promise rings. Plus, there's those that are married and wear their wedding band on that finger. So, yeah, it would discourage me anyway.

• Thanks. "Promise rings" -- like an engagement ring? SO no rings on either the left or right hands?

• Thanks for clarifying. I'll have to read up on the promise ring thing. It's not a concept I grew up with, lol.

• lol no problem.

• There are two girls I know who wear a wedding ring on purpose so they don't get approached by guys.

They are single and are sad about it, though.

Go understand, haha.

• Wait, they're single, want relationships, but wear rings to scare guys off? Hmm. Confusing.

• Haha, yeah, was just teasing ;) But those two are confusing and confused at the same time, I think.

• Yup! :-)

• I asked a girl I had a crush on (and even asked out) why she had a ring on her middle finger. She didn't give me a clear answer..and she turned me down. Oh well, at least I tried, right? (she has a boyfriend)

• Maybe the ring was too big for her ring finger?

• Doubt it

• I mean, girls don't usually get one for their middle fingers -- they usually pick a size that fits either their ring finger or their index finger. A few times I've seen a girl wear a ring on her thumb, but that's supposed to be symbolic in some way as well. I can't remember how, though. I'd heard about it quite a while back...

What Girls Said 1

• A lot of guys, especially at older ages, look at a women's left hand ring finger to see if there's a ring on it to determine if they should approach her or not. A lot of guys take a ring on that finger as a gin that she's married. I think rings on any other finger is fine though.

• Thanks. The article says not to keep any rings at all on your left hand, which seems a little silly, but I wanted to get the GAnG's opinion on it in case there's actually some legitimacy to the suggestion. :-)

• I mean the other four fingers...

• Ohh then you're fine.