What's the purpose of a skirt?

Actually, originally, skirts weren't meant for women. Look up the history on them if you're interested but women, like many other things, took them over and have worn them for centuries. The thing is though, is that I tend to see them worn more often on the beach and at pools than anywhere else. Yes, true, they can be worn elsewhere, but the majority are at those two places.

So, what is the purpose of a skirt?

Most Helpful Girl

• There are different reasons to wear a skirt. Personal enjoyment, professionalism, weather, or to get a guy.

Some girls just like wearing skirts because they're cute and they like the style of skirts. Personally, I think they're more hassle than they're worth just because I have to constantly worry about wind and how I sit and they hardly ever have pockets.

Sometimes we wear skirts because they give off an air of professionalism. In these cases we would wear them to something like an important event or an interview. Basically, just wearing them to show we be well dressed.

Obviously skirts are cooler than pants. So if the weather's really hot it's usually a good time to wear a skirt. Also when the weather's hot we start going to places like the beach and the pool.

Some girls just want to show off their bodies. You'll know the difference because skirts worn for this purpose are usually twice as short as any normal girl's skirt. All they really want is to see how little fabric they can get away with wearing.

That's probably it as far as skirts go.

What Girls Said 1

• What do you mean by skirts weren't meant for women? It's just like wrapping a piece of cloth around you and that's a skirt which I am sure has been around since humans first started wearing clothing to protect themselves. I mean women sure as hell weren't wearing pants, at least not in the U.S. for quite some time back in the day. Why do you even care really?

What Guys Said 5

• There is no purpose in it other than looks, just like most women's clothes. It's all about sacrificing function and practicality for what's stylish.

• Function and practicality?

• Just the same, I wouldn't expect a girl in a skirt--long or short--to get on the back of my motorcycle, or to climb a tree, or to join in if I said I wanted to drop what I was doing and work out on the spot.

• They might, depending on how much they care

• Well, I've seen ones that are made to wear as a bikini cover-up, but most are meant as non-beach attire, N when a lady wears one, with a nice top or even a button down or blouse, it looks very neat N professional for work or dressing up, but most importantly the look very feminine, N it's sexy because it's so lady-like.

• Mostly it covers up imperfections in their figure while still enhancing the overall silhouette.

• Maybe you are referring to kilts? Men have worn them long before the skirts were around. Perhaps it took a long time for women to have them because the Celts were local to Northern England.

• to make it easier for a guy to insert his penis into her vagina