Getting my first tattoo. Advice on do's and don'ts?

So I'm getting my first tattoo on Saturday and was wondering if anyone had any advice on dos and donts before during and after you get the tattoo (especially about the pain ha ha that's the only thing I'm worried about is how bad its going to hurt thanks

Most Helpful Guy

• Avoid getting them on the surface of vital organs, and avoid getting them done in a gay bar or from any guy wearing brown lipstick.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't have one but everyone I've ever talked to has said that you should eat before getting it. It makes sense to since pain lowers your blood sugar. As for how bad it'll hurt, that all depends on how well you can take pain and the tattoo.

• Eat before hand

drink plenty of water

breath during so you don't pass out

talk to the artist or to a friend to distract yourself

psych yoursef up and remind yourself that you are strong and can handle it.

• I got a lip tattoo, did not hurt at all. For pain, it just depends on the person and where you are getting it. I know the shop I went top had a topical solution they could place on the area to help numb so it would not hurt as much.

• What are you getting? Mine hurt, but not enough not to get one. The second time wasn't as bad cause I knew what to expect. For me the outlining hurt the most. The artists said mine was a really sensitive area, on my hip.

• Don't get a tattoo that you wouldn't want when you're 50. It could end up very embarrassing.

What Guys Said 1

• Depends on your pain tolerance. My advice would be to talk with your artist while he's doing it so that you don't focus on him sticking the needle in you to much.