If you have dark hair, will semi-permanent hair color show up?

I heard that semi permanent color can only darken your hair but it can't lighten it, is this true? My hair is off black/darkest brown with a reddish tint. If I use a semi permanent color that's lighter than my hair, will it dye effectively and be that color?

Most Helpful Girl

• most hair dyes have pictures of what your hair will end up like depending on your hair color,a friend dyed her dark brown hair to ginger,without bleaching,and it turned out well.

What Guys Said 1

• I wish I knew these things before I let some idiot dye my hair lol.

What Girls Said 6

• yea.. try natural intistics it will lighten up but "temporary " colors don't really work for lightening

• if you have dark hair, and want to lighten it up, you should bleach it. there is no way to go from a dark brown, to a blond. unless you go from the dark brown, to a bit lighter one, and so on, until you reach to the color that you wanted.

• I have darker hair and I always have to bleach it to make the color show.

• I have black hair and I tried dying my hair before with a lighter color but it wasn't very effective. It was barely noticable in the sunlight. I think if you want to get a lighter color, you have to bleach it.

• If you have a dark hair color you have to bleach it if you want a lighter color.

• I have black hair , dye doesn't ever shown on my hair .