Girls, what is the difference between 'cute' & 'handsome'?

I wanted to know what is the difference between the word 'cute' & 'handsome' uttered by girls to compliment guys. If a girls refers a boy to be so cute and another boy to be very handsome, is there any difference at all? Girls, can you explain me the nature of those two compliments?

Most Helpful Girl

• Cute means I feel affection for you. It includes your personality, your smile, everything about you. I enjoy your company. I feel a connection with you.

Handsome/hot means you turn me on. At the very most, it means you do not have a TERRIBLE personality, but not necessarily a good one (all it means is that your personality is not bad enough to be a turn-off).

Handsome is straightforward looks. Cute is what you're aiming for!

What Girls Said 21

• i think its different to anyone. but to me cute means that guy is a nice and doing nice things to me...and he might has a cute face too.

but handsome is just a masculine guy who I really attract to his face and maybe his body, but it doesn't mean I would be attracted to his actions!

• I think differently than what the other girls said.

If I see a good-looking guy, I'll say he's cute. I don't think "girly," "innocent," or "childish" when I call a guy cute.

Example: There's a hawt guy walking down the street. I lean over and tell my friend, "oh, he's cute." And then continue on with our conversation.

As for handsome, I usually never use it unless I find an older man attractive. Like George Clooney; he's handsome. Also, I think the word handsome is used more if a lady is talking about her son, husband, etc. However, when some girls are so infatuated with a boy they'll be all, "oooohh, he's SOO handsome."

• Me personally : Cute ( lots of guys are cute , it just means good looking)

BUT

Handsome ( is like when I am sooooooo attrcted to a guy , his looks , his face , body , mind charm and appeal that I just can't help myself but get turned on when I see him , that's when I say " he's handsome ")

:D

but that could just be me

• to me handsome is just a weird term to use on a guy that is in his 20s I'm not sure about older because I'm 21 so I try and look for guys near my age...i don't use hot that much unless I'm in the mood to use the word hot I usually use cute because I mean what if he were to hear? id be embarrassed if I called him hot...not so much if I called him cute I don't know that's just what I think haha

• I heard that guys hate to be called (cute) and they say this words should be for girls, but we can't help it! kkkkk

For me, handsome means he's good looking, has a prince charm...etc!

when I say this guy is cute.. I mean he's handsome but he looks innocent and bright like the kids at the same time! XD

• Lol..I was rarely called cute and when I was called cute, I felt it sounds so girlie :P But I was callled handsome more times :P

• And of course any compliment from a beautiful girl is awesome ;)

• I hate being called cute I rather be called handsome any day :)

• Handsome is a stronger word than cute. Lots of guys are cute, but if I say you're handsome it means I'm really impressed.

• at least when it comes to me, handsome is purely about looks while cute is a lot more about personality.

• Thanks for always answering my questions.You rarely ask new questions so let me answer this for you to show my appreciation :-D

I shall customise this answer for you:

The first picture of you on the left and holding the ball is cute because of the good boyish look.How old is that?Haha :-)

Can't see the face of the second picture very clearly.

The third and fourth picture of you in the blue V-necked tee are handsome and classy.Cute sounds girlish when used here :P

• You're being so kind to me. I really appreciate--and blush a little--the compliments you've given me ;-D But, you've unfriended me again :-o Why?!

• A tortoise*

• :D Nothing wrong with being you, Miss Solitude! I'm a tortoise, that's for sure :-D

• Cute means you're playful, fun and a pleasure to be around.

Handsome means you're studly, confident, coy and alluring.

Both are a synonym for attractive.

• Cute is usually about looks and personality and handsome is only about looks

• Both mean your equally attractive. Handsome is not really used anymore but I would call a guy handsome when he's too old and manly to be referred to as cute and I when I wantto use the word hot because I honestly hate calling someone that it makes them sound like they are a piece if meat as a friend of mine put it. But no there's really no difference.

• I personally don't use the word handsome very much, but instead I use cute in the same context as hot :P

• I'd say cute for me is someone who looks good ,its more of a affectionate term as compared to handsome which is just looks(more of a fact in my opinion).

• the word 'handsome' is a little bit out of date, don't ya think?

• cute is adorable, he doesn't have to be attractive (to me), but theres' something about him (his personality) that makes him nice to be around...

a handsome man makes me nervous, but doesn't mean he's my type or I'm physically attarcted to him...for example, jim caviezel (the one who played Jesus on the movie the passion of the Christ), I find him intoxicatingly handsome, but would I do him? no...he just doesn't do it for me, he's more like an eye candy...

now, Daniel Craig, well you know what he looks like...he's not that hot or sexy either, but there's somethingabout his essence I find so appealing...

basically, it's not all about the looks, it's about how drawn I am to the person (I call it their essence)...

• i don't know I would say theyre pretty much the same handsome is just rarely used because its too deep and intense like I would only tell the man I'm in love with that he's handsome not just throw it around to a lot of guys

• To me, cute is a guy that has boyish features, handsome would be someone with more chiseled features, like a strong jawline. I don't think the word handsome has gone out of style at all.

• for me it's how worldly, sophisticated you are. cute is when a guy still hasn't fully grown up yet, and handsome is he's a man, not a boy

• cute to me means he has baby boy looks, like AShton Kutcher

handsome to me means that he is masculine and looks grown up and good looking as in James Franco :)

Out of the Two JAmes Franco is a little HOTTER than AShton Kutcher IMO

• are you blind? james franco is much more feminine looking than ashton kutcher.

• I know what the hell? Prominent brow, chiseled jaw, full bear, broad shoulders of manish ashton pales in comparison to boyish franco's peach fuzz. But personality wise franco wins, no homo

• no you can't make a gay comment and say no homo, just admit it. FULL HOMO

• in my opinion, handsome means good-looking in a manly way, while cute means good-looking but in a slightly feminine and innocent way. this doesn't mean if your cute then you look like a girl but you may have soft skin or really nice eyes or something. these are both really attractive so it is a compliment if someone calls you cute because it means you're attractive.

then again, I honestly used the word cute for anyone I find attractive. handsome is just too long... ha ha I can be lazy I know.

:)

• "Cute" earns you a quick hug and a peck on the cheek for being such a good boy.

"Handsome" is what a girl calls a guy who just got her visual motors running by walking into the room.

The girl will typically stay close to her "handsome" companion than to her "cute" companion.

• I thought the other way round. Girls stay close to cute guys :P

• Maybe if they're young girls. A woman wants a man.

What Guys Said 3

• Hmm girls think I'm cute... I have boyish good looks and an innocent demeanor. That's different than a handsome guy who has like.. those macho good looks with a more cool demeanor.. Come to think of it... these things don't make sense to me either >.<

• Interesting ladies. I always thought handsome was a meaningless compliment, like 'nice', something your mum would call you. Turns out that I'd really been driving women wild, unbeknownst to me.

• this has been interesting, I actually do not like being called handsome