Get taller: Genetics vs. nutrients

Ok I wanna get taller I'm 16 and only 5'5, my mother is shorter then me and my father is about half a foot taller. Id like to get as tall as I can before I stop growing. I heard drinking lots of milk helps and I don't drink nearly as much as I used to so should I start drinking it more and also what else would help?

Most Helpful Guy

• Your genetics will play the only part in how tall you will be. Consuming an excess of protein and milk won't signal your body to make itself taller.

Your body doesn't even store protein, which is why body builders have to have a constant intake of protein in their daily routine.

I understand your desire to be taller. It does suck...being short in a height biased world is the only remaining bastion of bigotry. Racism is mostly dead, save for a few radicals here and there, and worldly acceptance of homosexuality is pretty much the same. But short people? We still get the sh*ttier treatment.

• Im not yet taller then my dad or as tall is it possible that I still have growing to do and that other things have an affect on how fast or tall I grow?

• It's definitely possible; I was just stating that your diet won't affect your height or growth as much as genetic predisposition.

• ok lol I'm just asking what will help me reach my full genetic potential as farm as hieght because I'm taller then most femalse in my family but not more so then the males.

What Girls Said 3

• A scientific study done about 60 or 80 years ago showed that Japanese people living in America were on average 5 inches taller than Japanese people living in Japan so what you eat and how healthy your lifestyle is has a great impact on how tall you are.

Sleeping in complete darkness (with every nook and cranny of light exposure of your room hidden and covered up) will increases your height by 2 inches if you are still growing

Also the absence of stress can also increase your height... I used to be a really anxious person and when I learned to relax, I grew 2.5 inches over the course of 4 years (and this was about 8 years after puberty so I should have stopped growing by then)

• I think the most efficient way to grow taller,

beside genes, is to eat a lot

of healthy food, and get a lot of sleep.

I don't think milk alone will increase your height. =)

• You still have time to grow like til 21

What Guys Said 2

• It is mostly diet. Studies have shown North Koreans are several inches shorter than southerners. Despite having a reputation for shortness modern Japanese kids (well...the guys at least...) are well up to western size.

Milk helps a lot probally, would explain the Dutch. Just generally eat well.

• ya, just eat really healthy and make sure you are out there being physically active, as opposed to playing world of warcraft or whatever

that's the best you can do