Why do people always assume that?

Girls with short hair are automatically lesbian. My friend she has short hair just because it looks good on her but people come up and ask her if she's lesbian all the time. She is bi but besides that why do people always assume that?

Most Helpful Guy

• seriously? They're stupid...I am a conservative independent so I am not so keen on this stuff...but you know what...she should not be harassed about who she is. No one should. Yes, I didn't use the term...bite me. I don't care if you're a lesbian, homosexual, or otherwise, just don't push your beliefs on me and I won't push mine on you...with that said, what they are doing to her is wrong and should be stopped. I know several woman with short hair and they are not asked those questions...at least I don't think so...I will tell you this, if I hear it, the ashole will get reamed on it. I will not stand for people getting hurt. yeah...reamed was probably not the best word to use...but it's there.

What Guys Said 7

• You weren't looking for advice...you were looking to vent...even when we tried to support you...you didn't care what we had to say to help you. that's sad.

3 minutes ago

Oh because lesbians and bisexual women aren't allowed have male friends...

I'd better go tell my friends that we can't be friends anymore. Some anonymous person on the internet has spoken, and the WORLD must change.

You asked why people assume... you were told. Saying that's not fair, won't change anything.

Report

Question Asker

8 minutes ago

Yea but people shouldn't automatically assume half the time they ask her she's with her boyfriend

Report

Answerer

10 minutes ago

But it is. We all profile people in various ways, through pattern recognition and so on. We spot trends and we extrapolate.

When the majority of lesbians started wearing short hair styles to self-identify, it didn't take long for the rest of the world to notice and learn.

Report

• A lot of lesbians have short hair.

It kind of depends on the hair style as well. Some are more 'lesbian haircut' then others.

• Hollywood..and most of the time (not all) its true. A least one of the lesbians in a relationship with have short hair.

• Most lesbians have short, butch hair, at least that's the perception.

• Because short hair = manly.

And when a girl looks manly.. most of times it means she's not really straight. Like your friend.

• For the same reason a campy man is assumed to be gay.

There are various short-hand clues and signals people use to let others know their orientation. Short hair on girls lets other lesbians know that it's okay to hit on them, because they'll be receptive to it.

It's the same sort of assumption as seeing a guy in a gay bar. The liklihood is that he's gay (or bi), and a straight guy in a gay bar has to at least accept the fact that people will assume he's gay or bi.

A girl with short hair has to accept that people will assume she's gay or bi. That's just how it is.

• It shouldn't be that way in the first place

• Yea but people shouldn't automatically assume half the time they ask her she's with her boyfriend

• Oh because lesbians and bisexual women aren't allowed have male friends...

• If she is bi hen people that assume she is gay are at least half-right. Apparantly the way her hair is short does not display her feminine side.

What Girls Said 4

• i'm not british but I do agree with them on ''don't talk to people about anything more than the weather and football,EVER'' so I don't see how people can just ask others whether they're gay or not-it just seems rude to me,and rude people shouldn't be taken into consideration when it comes to the people whose opinions actually matter.

people think gay guys have to be feminine,and lesbians need to be butch (short hair is seen as masculine) cause retards are simply too damn dumb to understand how relationships can work without them being masculine+feminine. I had short hair (I still do,but it's a bob now,so the comments are rare now) and people would always assume that I'm gay,but I seem gay anyway cause I'm too ''british'' for relationships anyway-so I'm not the perfect example.

• well, the people who come up to her are half right.

• Long hair is suppose to be feminine so short hair is seen as boyish and a lot of lezbos try to act manly and not girly

• my daughter has short hair(chin length at times bob length at other times) and I don't think she has that issue at least that she's ever mentioned to me but her hair is really fine and it doesn't look thick when it grows out it looks thin so she keeps it on the short end. how short are we talking with the hair?

• She has it short in the back because she likes to spike it

• No because the front is very female

• hmm I don't know. I think it's just a generalization like a lot of other things. that one girl on here was talking about how since she has black hair and she's fair skinned that people think she's emo when she isnt...just one of those things we do as humans