Do guys like girls wearing makeup?

I know guys generally don't prefer girls with makeup but I think what they mean is they don't like girls wearing too much make up, so how much is too much, and what kind of makeup you guys like,

OMG is it just me or can any1 else also see ads of makeup on the side of this page, since its a question about makeup maybe there's an auto thingy which detects what is being posted, its kinda scary,

Most Helpful Guy

• For daily wear, eyeliner and lip gloss should be plenty. Obviously there are times when dressing up is appropriate, so I don't have a problem with more on those occasions, but for all of the women who need 30+ minutes to do makeup before leaving the house to go to the grocery store or the gym, you're doing WAY too much.

I hate that women feel like they HAVE to do all of this crap in order for guys to find them attractive, because that is SO not the case. The truth is that women do this because they feel they are competing with other women, and because those other women pressure them to do so. It isn't the guys, it's the girls, who push for more makeup and more products all the time.

• Agree with 99% here^..only I would like mascara and no eyeliner..but MrOracle is definitely on the right track...(:

What Guys Said 31

• I think so many girls wear at least a slight base of makeup that many guys don't realize they're wearing any, and will say they prefer them because they look natural without makeup, not knowing that they are in fact wearing it.

• This is really true...I wear makeup, but not enough for people to realize I'm wearing it, so the number one compliment I get is "youre so natural!" haha. You shouldn't look like a cake.

• No raccoon eyeliner

No base so thick it's like plaster - I want to see something alive through the makeup

No overdrawn lips

Basically want to see a clean, healthy, non-tortured skin showing through light makeup. I'd rather see zits than a thick mask covering them up.

• There's a lot of answers and I haven't read them to see if this sentiment is seconded, but I didn't see it from the glance down the page.

Here's a tl;dr, because my answer seems to have gotten long - makeup that is very subtle, because skin is sexy, but the girl is usually better at choosing what makeup suits them best, so it depends on the occasion.

My first thoughts when trying to answer this question is that you're asking the wrong question. However for your sake, in order to answer the question, I find that too much makeup is when it looks as though there is a layer of makeup that is caked on so much that I cannot clearly see skin.

Skin is sexy... don't hide it. So obviously I guess, if I really did know anything about makeup, I'd like the ones that advertise to be natural, even your skin tone, but not replace it. If you have serious skin problems, worry about treating the cause, such as diet, smoking, drugs etc. If your skin isn't reasonably healthy, then you're just choosing the lesser of two evils.

In addition to what I said initially, I also have this to add: As guys it's not really our place to be critical of how much makeup girls use, unless it's grotesquely over the top! It also depends on the occasion. If you are happy with the amount you have on, and can confidently say it suits the occasion, we won't want to change that, even if we dislike that amount of makeup for whatever reasons.

Don't ask the guy if it's too much, because that will invite him to be critical, when you're really in a much better position to make a decision about what you do with your skin. However, on some occasions such as being together in the comfort of your own home, I'd say absolutely no makeup should be used. Going hiking for long distances in the mountains? I don't see any point in makeup there either. I'm sure that girls would make these decisions on their own though. I've never had an experience where a girl has worn makeup at home or out hiking.

I hope this answer has been of some use to you. I respect and understand why you've asked your question, but again, although this doesn't really answer your question, but I felt as though this bit of advice answers the question you perhaps should have asked, simply because guys like me generally don't know enough about makeup to make a decision about what's too much and what's too little.

• well I asked because I don't know I'm a late bloomer I guess, I got interested in makeup recently, When I used to see girls at my college with makeup I'd be like wth! where do they get the time, so I started watching vids of makeup tutorials on YouTube and it turned out I was way behind like I didn't even know many of the terms they say while doing makeup, I don't have bad skin or anything I only have lipglosses and one mascara and one eyeliner which I hardly used because my dad didn't like me wearinit

• are you saying girls don't need to wear makeup at parties or in clubs? I mean these are the places why we buy makeup for in the first place lol and yeah I really like eye shadows and eyeliner too, I was always reluctant to do makeup because (I hope I don't get trashed for this) I'm a daddy's girl like I really look up to him for all kinds of advice, even though I didn't ask for any makeup advice from him but whenever I put on eyeliner on he would like backhandedly say I don't need to wear it

• but now I'm really into this stuff and maybe even be a part time makeup artist, but I'm not gonna get carried away or anything and cake myself up hehe, oh and to answer your question what works for me, I think already did but I think I left some out, I like everything in make up except for blush and fake tan looks like using bronzers and spray tan etc

• General rule of thumb, If I can tell from a distance that you have make up on, then its to much. Make up is meant to enhance your natural features, not be a mask to turn you into someone different.

Caking on tons of eye shadow, eye liner, obnoxious lipstick, and powder that makes you look like a clown, is to much. Unless its a big occasion. Just don't spend 2 hours putting on makeup just so we can go catch a movie on a Sunday afternoon.

• I prefer without on a day-to-day basis - it looks strange, you look better without it.

That said, when a girl's dressing up for an event or special occasion, I really like it as an accent. Such as red lip stick to match a red dress, or green eyeshadow if that matcher her outfit. Not over the top, but that ties in with the look. That isn't worn to hide or falsify her features, but instead of an accessory, much like a pair of earrings.

I don't like makeup as a facade, but I appreciate it as an accessory. Provided it isn't done excessively / on a regular basis.

• i don't mind make up. but id rather her use some proactive or clean and clear so that she won't have to. if she feels that she just HAS to have it then so be it but don't put so much that if you hug me, some of your "face" comes onto my cheek or shoulder xD.

• just enough to highlight what you feel are the best spots & hide the worst spots, allowing the natural areas to be dominant

• I'll tell you what kind of make-up I like. The make-up that is not there. Seriously, who are you trying to fool? It doesn't make you look that much different and when I go to kiss you or get close to you, I don't want to look like I filmed a scene from Scarface. Most guys would agree with me. It also looks extremely odd on girls who aren't Caucasian. Insert link to that creepy Nicky Minaj music video lol.

• I like either make-up free or just enough make-up that I can tell she has it on, but not enough to look like a prostitute.

I think girls are really cute when they go without make-up. But when a tomboyish girl wheres just a little make-up on a date with me, it feels flattering that she went through the extra trouble to look good for me.

I hope that didn't confuse you rather than help. :/ It's a pretty fine line between just enough and too much make-up.

• @edit: yeah that happens, it's how the interwebs works. They tailor ads to the websites you visit.

• i prefer noticing the part of your face accentuated by your make-up instead of noticing the make-up on the part of your face that you are trying to accentuate.

• Nope. Makeup is gross.

• I like eyeshadow the most! : ) I like pink and light blue the most. Green is fine too, if there is light green, that's also fine. But not too much, especially black. Too much black eyeshadow is BAD. I hate heavy red lipsticks for some reason. A little is great, but not too much lipstick.

• I like the look of:

eye shadow (for some reason I have a fetish for it)

lipgloss or lipstick

------

That's all she needs imo, and it doesn't take a long time to do. :)

• it doesn't take a long time, but it sure gets tedious lol

• wow, that's kinda cool! its the first time I heard or read a guy having a fetish for eyeshadows hehe.

• Every guy has his kinks, Mia. ;-)

• A little bit of makeup looks the best.

• Some say they "prefer natural beauty" but I believe it to be auto-PC response...

To be honest - make-up just can't go wrong! Even when there are lots(!) of it.. honestly - it looks awesome!

..the only problem is that it looks so awesome than the the same girl without it is incomparable to how she looks with it, and it makes considerable amount of deception.. appearing much better than you actually are.

So natural beauty is better that it enables us to reject a girl because she doesn't look good enough right on the spot... while "a (fake) beauty" who's wearing make-up could "bypass" our "security system"

Very few girls look great without (a lot of) make-up, and usually they're very young, around 16 and not smoking, drinking or using drugs... but mostly it's just good genetics!

...while the rest of girls are dependent on make-up for "beauty"

Look at this: link

I swear you -gotta- be insane to say that "natural beauty looks better than make-up"

• A lot of the difference in that picture is lighting; the first picture is posed with excellent lighting (a professionally-lit-for-photography posing station on a red carpet), while the second one is a long-distance candid with no flash. I know the difference the make-up makes, but lighting is huge too. (I used to work in TV production, BTW.)

• Don't forget the effort that goes into hair as well... it frames the face differently, amongst other things.

• OMG is that seriously Kim Kardashian? she doesn't look bad without makeup its just that she looks like another person whoa!

• I think caucasian girls can get away with wearing a little more makeup. Girls of color should tone it down. I think less is good.

• Me personally its all about the natural beauty. However as long its not too much make up or lipstick etc, not to be sterotypical or rude or offensive. But the way gypsys do their make up for example to me is just a turn off. I'm not one to judge, but that is my opinion.

• Too much makeup is a turn off, it makes me think that your not confident, unhappy bouth the way you look and thinking what your hiding behind all that makeup!

• i do. a little bit, not a lot like a geisha

• I like it when girls wear make up to compliment their natural beauty. But if they're only beautiful with make up on then I would have to take a pass.

• Most guys don't mind anything to do with eyebrows, eyes & lips...so what do we hate? We hate the sh*t girls smear on their cheeks: concealer, blush, foundation & bronzer...otherwise, don't get too carried away with the eyebrow pencil and most of will be good to go...

• PS..my wife uses blush on special occasions...if she wants to put on some blush for her family who am I to say "no"?...but around the house she either wears none or a little mascara & eyebrow pencil...totally fine with it...(:

• @update: Yup the ads are there...if they were REALLY reading though...they would be trying to sell mascara & eyeliner...foundation & bronzer are not welcome on this Question...(:

• As long as she does not overdo it.

• As long as they don't look like there auditioning for clown school lol I don't mind a little. Its kinda cute them making themselves all pretty for us guys.

• as long as they don't overdo it.

• "I know guys generally don't prefer girls with makeup but I think what they mean is they don't like girls wearing too much make up" did you not read the question?

• Nope, I hate makeup. Mascara is my enemy.

• That's the internet working for makeup companies hun ;)

• Makeup is OK, I just don't like it when it really shows.

• Nope, no we dont like it.

• In many cases guys like the look but are at the same time turned off by what it could say about her personality (if its too much)

• I actually don't care for it to much, but to quote Drake. "Sweat pants, hair tied, chillin' with no make-up on. That's when you're the prettiest. I hope that you don't take it wrong".

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 7

• Most guys mean they like you to LOOK like you are not wearing makeup. So, if you wear concealer or foundation to improve the texture of your skin and, if you are blond like me, color in brows and lashes so your eyes don't look non-existent, I know without a doubt that guys will think you are not wearing makeup but that you look good.

If you are wearing fake eyelashes, dark lipstick and it is obvious that your skin is heavily covered by makeup, a lot of guys will not go for that. Now some girls can really pull off makeup like that and look great but most of us look like we are hiding something or just look silly. Even if you can pull off that look, some guys just are not going to take you seriously.

• What makes you think the texture of your skin needs improving? I hate foundation...thank gawd my wife doesn't wear it...o.O

• To each their own. When your skin is pale with random patches of red spots, that is not a look I consider polished or attractive. At my age it makes you look aged, and is easily remedied by foundation. Now at home I don't rush to put makeup on in the morning but I do spend about 5 minutes putting it on after I shower. Even my dermatologist thinks I am not wearing makeup when I am. It's all how you apply it.

• I think it depends - my ex adored my no-make face and me with make up on. I don't cake foundation on, I literally wave a brush over to brighten my skin tone not to hide blemishes. I'm not an emo, but I am more emo than any other style, and so my make up tends to be dark; blacks, purples, etc. But it suits my look.

As long as you don't look like a geisha I think they're happy :P

• Makeup to highlight the eyes and a little lip gloss looks really pretty. There is really no point in wearing foundation and concealer, because even through the makeup you can see the lump of the zit or the caked on powder anyway.

• Some girls can pull off wearing a lot of makeup yet still look good, I think it depeneds on the person. :)

• doesn't matter. whatever makes you better looking

• yeah they do...they just don't want to know we are wearing it.

• i agree with taster, the brows eyes and lips are good but cheeks and face/skin stuff is not unless your going to a wedding