Why is hip hop all about money and women?

is it how it started back in the days? how did it end up like this? c'mon all you hear is sex and money, drugs and guns. rappers who dare to try new things aren't even recongnized.

ok when I said its all about women I mean how disrespectfull rappers are towards them. I mean some rappers cross the line in my opinion. where the hell are all the feminists when their bullsh*t rights are needed to be protected?
i know its mainly mainstream that does that. but that's exactly what bothers me. that means people like it so much that its probably never gonna change. I mean when I was younger I was influenced by it and I got nice rims for my car just so I can look cool. and you see high school girls being all slutty with that kinda music. I hate rihanna the most. she's doing too much dirty stuff.

Most Helpful Girl

• it is not about women. It's about hoes and bitches and money. I'd like to think there is a difference. Reducing people to their lowest form is provocative and it sells. The problem is that Younger people think it is OK to act and feel that way socially. Having said that, I listen to hip hop at times. Believe it or not it makes me laugh. At times it makes raises my eyebrow and say WTF? LOL

What Girls Said 10

• Lol its definitely not ALL hip hop and you're thinking more about rap as opposed to hip hop. You need to look into less mainstream and you'll see a big difference.

The big reason why this is what is only talked about is because that's what hits the target audience. Young kids unfortunately are more interested in hype music that talks about sex and money. Its what sells.

• Music was better back then. The generation got worse and rappers/hip hop artists don't know what to rap/sing about anymore so they just came up with raping/singing about getting money, "bitches", etc and they end up getting money for all this crappy stuff they call "music"! -_-

I can't stand this new generation of music! :(

• Yeah, it is pretty stupid. At some point a lot of genres became all about making money and I guess that is what rappers think will make them a lot. In reality, I saw this thing on TV where some of the older rappers were talking about how for a long time, they didn't have any money, just expensive things that they felt they had to have to fit the image and make more money.

• @the update

All mainstream music sucks, by the way. Have you ever heard a Nickleback song? If you have heard one, you have heard them all. They just write the same song over and over with different words and then sometimes change a few small things. They only have a few songs that are different at all. And most of them are about the same stuff and sometimes they are about nothing at all other than trying to sound cool.

• yea I used to be into them in high school untill every song sounded the same to me. I know what you mean.

• Eh.. Don't get me started on this b.s form of music! To start almost all rappers start their careers with a story to tell smooth beats and a relatable personality. After about 5 albums they are rich as hell with no real stories so they resort to bragging about their lives and wasting their riches on drugs, girls, and cars.. SMH... the rap today is all a result of reaching the top and seeing that they have done it all. The bullsh*t they spit is just the result of writers block.

• Being paid to shake their asses and sleep with rappers. -_-... It amazes me how many women can be bought.

• kanye's such a good example haha

• Exactly! I used to love Kanye. Now I would run him over with a dump truck. I HATE that guy.. He has no story anymore. Just ego...

• It isn't. Maybe check out aussie hip hop? Hilltop hoods, bliss and eso, seth sentry, pez...

• you are talking about mainstream rap.

• @ rihanna is gross, I'm turned off by her now. ahah she tries tooo hard.

• why this post is stereotyping hip hop culture and half these people talking don't know that rap is a eliminate of hip hop,. as a hip hop artist it anger me, special when people mistake pop music and R&B as pure hip hop.

• thank you ,go look up a documentary called 30 years of hip hop... it teach you real hip hop/rap

• that's just what they care about. money and girls and sex and parties

• bad hip hop is, keep searching

• That's not true its like saying all rock is about sex&drugs or emo is about suicide...rap and hip hop are similar but nowadays the mainstream is different from how it use to be...back then like 90s they talked about issuses or their music videos had astory/meaning..now a lot of music is just about party party party

What Guys Said 8

• 'is it how it started back in the days?'- no. hip hop was much more positive in it's earlier years. what you have now is the watered down formulaic version that corporate America pushes out (or sh*ts out, depending on your disappointment level in a once vibrant culture) in the name of making money. image and style has trumped having a positive message and learning about what's going on in the world. there was a time (late 80's-early 90's) when rappers started getting more serious and having strong, positive messages dealing with real issues in the world. however by the early 90's gangster rap started spreading false messages and stereotypes (exactly what corporate America wanted, and propagated) until most of the more positive messages were forgotten by the new bandwagon fans. yes it's true that this is mostly reflected in mainstream rap, but there was a time when the underground had far more sway than it does now. most of the underground rappers around now are simply trying to evoke a time in the past when hip hop was better instead of pushing for new creative boundaries, so the problem is two fold imo.

• you know what bro, I used to ask myself that same question years ago. That's kinda why I fell off listening to music on the radio. I felt none of them were true Rappers. I listened to another genre of hip hop and underground rappers.

Now when I started listening to "mainstream" Again, I realized something. First off, Most rappers deserve their spotlight they have, most of them, sure there is some who don't even deserve the right to hold a mic but other then them, they are there.

They rap about women and money because it sells. What symbolizes success in a mans point of view? Money and Women. So if they can make a song about those two things with a good beat and dope lyrics, you got a winner.

But there is some artists who are very versatile and try to do something from the ordinary, like Nas, J-Cole, Wale, Jay Electronica, etc.

• It's not. The underground hip hop scene is completely different, it speaks to the issues facing society today. Only the corporate backed mainstream version is like your description. The reason for this is because the mainstream version is more controllable by the record companies and their sponsors so that's all they sign and promote and due to this it's what most people are exposed to and identify as to what the music is about. Hip hop didn't start out like that either, the real version of it has migrated to the underground refusing to sign with someone and allow the message to be controlled and manipulated by the interests of sponsors or record company executives. Do me a favor, listen to artists like Immortal Technique or Lowkey and tell me if you still think that it's just about money and women.

link

link

• It's not... That's what commercial rap is about, and that trend (money rappers) made it mainstream with puff daddy in 1997 with the release of "It's All About the Benjamins"... There was stuff before that, but that was when it became all about that. As far as women... All music genres has plenty of music about women. Look at every rock love song from classic rock all the way to the present. Look at jazz from the 1930's.. Women are a universal part of male song writers where ever you go.

• It's politically incorrect to challenge the quality of someone's life choices. Everyone gets a free pass nowadays so we don't hurt anyone's feelings or offend them. Unless they're rich-white guys, it's always open season on them.

• First of all I think you got Hip-hop mixed up with rap. Rap is about showboating. The things you hear about Bitches, drugs, & money. Hip-hop is completely different it's more so about everyday problems, Politics, what's going on around us. Hip-hop is certainly a dying breed because not many have the talent for it. Another it seems like glorifying what's wrong tends to get a lot more attention than what's good. Ex:People are more tuned in to hearing about bad/shocking things that happen over the News than something good. The music Industry now is all about what sells regardless of wheter these messages are good or bad to the youth.

• Because it sells. Have you never come across high school kids acting like thugs? Wanting to be drug dealers?

• its funny how visibly black and white society has become with the media. people who are sheep listen to all this garbage, they see all the cool movies, they go out to clubs because it's the cool thing to do... girls think all the hot, cool bad boys listen to rap and everything, when the way they treat women reflects everything they view and listen to.

if your man blasts top 40 hip hop in his car day in and day out, he probably isn't the right man for you. that's what I'm saying. he's caught up in what everyone else is doing, because he's too immature to think for himself and say, "what this music stands for is wrong." or he just wasn't raised to think for himself. and many guys will imitate the behavior of the artists and popular figures to a degree. girls too. all the hot girls tend to be sheep in society up to a certain age too, until or unless they grow out of it, which they ought to if they're actually smart. same for guys. it's amazing the kind of behavior people will resort to just to feel accepted.

if you observe a group of people you'd find a lot more of introverted or mature people liking rock music and music that isn't so popular because it tends to stand for a greater message and purpose. it's just better music. there is more substance, much like the individuals who listen to it. these tend to be the hopeless romantic types, with everything to give to opposite gender, but the person of their affections tends to fall into the mindless crowd that doesn't even consider what life may be like tomorrow, much less a few years down the line and the consequences of their actions.

i really think the music a person listens to and the kind of life they live out says a lot about them.