Is being pretty REALLY that important?

Recently I've seen guys on here saying they want a pretty girl, there aren't enough pretty girls, and even a few saying they don't care about body type they just want a pretty face.

Well, I know I'm not pretty, I've asked friends to be brutally honest with me about my looks and they've agreed with me about this, so it isn't just me being insecure or looking for attention or whatever else you'd like to call me.

Is is really that important to be pretty? or can a girl who isn't very good looking ever have a relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• Your friends tell you your not pretty? That's horrible.

Honestly they are probably poor judges. Don't think that you aren't pretty because of that. To some what may seem like an average or even below average girl can be pretty to the right person.

We all seek partners who have everything. And to some guy you'll be their everything. You don't have to be a model to be attractive and any guy that is in a relationship with you and is committed will think that you're beautiful. So in that sense I don't like the premise of the question. My girlfriend will ALWAYS be pretty to me no matter what she looks like

• I don't think it's horrible, I'd rather they be honest with me.

• They still know an attractive girl when they see one. And besides, theirs is the only insight I have really. I didn't choose them as the best judgement, it was just they're the ONLY judgement.

• I feel like heterosexual girls can never be as good a judge as heterosexual guys. Honestly, if you want my opinion you can send me a message and I'll give you my honest opinion, but it's up to you.

What Guys Said 11

• What someone finds pretty is completely subjective... I remember the first time I saw my childhood best freind's first girlfriend. He's telling me she's hot, she so cool, she perfect blah blah blah. He was sprung over her. =D Then I see her... I'm thinking to myself, damn take off the beer goggles man that girl got beat with the ugly stick one too many times. The thing is, she made him happy and that was cool with me. They were together for about a year and a half. What one guys finds attractive is not universal.

• I'd personally go for a butterface over a pretty and overweight girl. While I don't doubt that people mean what they say here, I think I'm hardly alone - I see girls with great bodies and very average (if that) faces being hit on a LOT. This becomes increasingly true as you get older. Tons of 20 year old women have great bodies, far fewer 30 year olds do.

Average (and below average) looking people DO have relationships.

But generally speaking, get your ass in shape, get a good hair style, dress in a way that makes you look good, and as you enter your late 20's, you'll be considered above average.

• To me, no. As long as I don't find a girl physically unattractive, I would be willing to date her. You don't have to be a model for that. I'm not really all that attractive myself, so I don't demand it of the opposite gender. As long as she's enjoyable to be around, and doesn't look like this: link (lol), she's fair game to me.

• Totally irrelevant, but did you have another account on here before EngineeringStudent?

• I did not, but the person you may be thinking about is "EddyMetal"

• Yeah, I knew his name, sorry to ask.

• For me: No.

For you: Yes.

Why?

I'm a dude.

You're a girl.

Sucks on you sorry.

Can you find a relationship? Yeah plenty of dudes will date non pretty girls, I see it everyday. Can you find the dude you want, maybe, maybe not, but your choice may be limited.

A good personality does make you exponentially prettier though :).

• Well I'd have to notice a girl first but after that it's the personality that keeps me there.. so being pretty isn't all that important.

• pretty girls are very common so if your not pretty that would kinda suck I guess..

• I would say two people should be in the same league as each other in the looks department to be compatible. Attraction is a mixture of looks & personality.

• I do think looks are important, yes. However, being pretty alone won't do much for me. I just want a combination of the two.

• of coarse you have a chance..your personality can when guys over and I bet your very pretty so don't be so quick to judge yourself that way..

• Have you a pic I can see? What is your body like? Most important is your personality...how is that?

• I don't really wanna put a picture up. My body isn't good either, and I don't have a very nice personality, at least not nice enough to balance it out I don't think.

• erm...well...at least you can work on the personality...what is wrong with your body?

• im not going to say anything just listen to turbulentdan lol he's spot on

What Girls Said 9

• The problem with the whole "being pretty" thing, is that beauty is so subjective. As much as people like to claim there are women out there who are universally objectively beautiful, there really aren't. Everyone will be beautiful to at least some people, but there will always be others who disagree. It would be foolish and impossible to try and appear beautiful to absolutely everyone. Just do what you think makes you feel and look your best and you'll be set!

• No, many people are willing to love you for personality. Not just for looks.

• It depends on how picky you are about what the guy you end up with looks like.

• Being pretty can only get you so far in life before the personality traits are needed. If the pretty individual is dumb as a doorknob, they won't achieve as high as an unattractive intelligent one will.

• Studies suggest that attractiveness may have it's advantages, but when it comes to looking for an actual long term relationship it doesn't help at all. (Making the assumption that you would like to be in relationships to eventually find a long term partner)

link

• you can find a relationship but unfortunately many guys do care about looks. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

• Absolutely NOT!

Most guys prefer the personality than the looks. Some prefer both or some d*** heads prefer only the looks.

Remember,

"Beauty is within the eye of the beholder"

As they say its not on the outside that counts but on the inside <3

• I have seen some people value looks over anything, they seem to want a pretty slave rather than a good woman.

Looks are the lure but the rest about you comes in a big deal. I want a guy that is decent, I would prefer if he wasn't perfect but I find him somewhat attractive.

A man will find you to be the most beautiful girl in the world with appearances and personality. Your friends could also be lying to you, I know how it feels when a friend says that you don't look pretty, it hurts like hell but I have found men who totally disagree so I will go with that I am beautiful. Besides you want to attract men right? Women don't exactly know what a man wants, we are swayed by magazines that all men want is a super skinny girl with super perfect skin and stuff. I have learned from men on this site disagree with a lot of crap you seen in the media, they don't agree with it and find it unattractive. Plus every man has his ideal look in his head.

• "There aren't enough pretty girls."

Well everyone views the same person differently.

Some people say certain girls are beautiful while others will say that same person is average or OK looking.

Never ask someone how you look.

Know that you are pleased with your appearance and that is what should really matter.

Anyone can have a relationship.

You don't know to look a certain way to establish a connection with another.