What kind of impression do I give off and is it a good thing or bad thing?

lately I've met a few friends of my parents and my parents have told me what many of them thought about me, and even some of the people I've met have said certain things that I've picked up on.

the friends of my parents have said that I'm handsome or a good looking kid, some have told me to my face as well, but some have also told my parents that I'm shy, or look a bit serious. also I've talked to some people too about my lifestyle. I never drank before I turned 21, and a girl was like "oh yeah? I can see that," as if she picked up on it, just by how I looked.

maybe people see me as a straight edge? and I totally am, but is this a good or bad thing, and how can I improve and be a more likeable person and more attractive?

Most Helpful Girl

• does their opinion of you really matter?

they really aren't the ones to judge.

it doesn't matter what kind of personality you have, as long as your a good person, that's all that counts

maybe you could try being a bit more relaxed, but if you feel like its not you, let it go.

i doubt your 'straight edge' all the time. I mean there's got to be times when you let loose a little. Or maybe you don't let people see your fun side unless you know them really well. There's nothing wrong with that.

whatever you do, don't try to be someone you're not.

• I don't let loose much at all. and letting loose to me isn't what it means to most people any way. I don't like the club scene, even though I wish I did. overtly sexual environments and behavior freaks me out. I see a lot of fun in things that involve conversation and spending time with friends and just hanging out, not partying.

• also I don't care what these people say or think, I just want to know how I can take what I've heard from others and learn from it and improve.

• Yeah I get what you mean.

Just be open minded, smile, be friendly.

Still be serious, cos that's who you are, but know when to laugh at yourself & relax.

You're actually kinda like me, but I would think myself as a little more relaxed. But that's me.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• Maybe you're boring and very reserved. You probably emit an aura of inexperience.

The way to fix this is to have confidence and swagger. Be decisive and certain of what you intend to do in life. If you have shortcomings, so what? Take it or leave it. With this change in attitude, you'll go very far.

• I'm naturally a quiet guy. I don't see the point of being loud. and only until recently did I decide what I want to do with my life. the party lifestyle isn't my thing either, I wish I could enjoy it, but I need to be in the right place in order to enjoy myself. if I'm somewhere or around people that make me uncomfortable, I'm not going to be open.

• in that case, I don't see how I'm not confident. meeting new people can be a little awkward, but that's about it. generally I'm good with that, but when someone gives me awkward or closed off vibes, I'm going to come off the same way. when people are open to me, I'm open with them.

• Body language matters a lot. Eye contact and posture will make or break the confidence you are trying to portray. Think of eye contact as a staring war. You don't want to be the first one to look away. Once you control the battle of the eyes, you control the situation.

With posture, slouching shows disinterest, discomfort, and retreat. Retract those scapulars and open yourself to attention.

• Well you know that your parents' friends will not say to your parents "oh my, your son should wear a paper bag on his head to hide his face", right ?

So just don't listen to this, it's just being polite.

This said, you have to realize that most people don't live how you do. Observe and adapt. Doesn't mean binge drinking, drugs or extreme things, but you have a style, take from the others what is suitable to you. This way you'll look less like someone who lives on a different planet, while still being different enough to be interesting.

• well I'm know I'm good looking, but why would they lie? my parents never had to tell me what these people said. it's not like I was standing right there so they had any reason to make me feel better.

• Well I didn't imply you didn't look good. It's just to remind you that some people aren't/can't be objective.

• Shy thing - be a bit more outgoing

Other than than be yourself, shows confidence, which is attractive