Are leggings pants? Can they worn on their own?

Ok people. Here is a question. Are leggings pants? I was having this conversation with a friend of mine (who is a girl). I say like any piece of clothing. If it suits a person then they can be worn as pants. She says they have to be worn under something like a long top or a skirt. What do you think? I personally think that on the right girl they look hot!

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a common misconception. Leggings are definitely NOT pants. Ever. Seriously.

Some people do wear them as pants. I personally don't think it's a flattering look for anyone. Leggings were designed to be worn under other clothing such as skirts or certain types of dresses. The function of leggings is much like the function of tights or panty hose, yet you don't see girls trying to wear THOSE as pants, now do you.

The material is thinner than that used for any type of actual pants and can often be somewhat see through by itself. They are also made to be skin tight, which is alright I guess if you have a fantastic body, but for the average person (including many thin/in-shape women) it just looks tacky.

Jeggings are a completely different story. They are designed to be worn by themselves, as a response to the leggings-as-pants trend, therefore they are slightly thicker and fit a little differently. Although I personally still think they look dumb for the most part, at least they are real pants.

• Thanks for the detailed response.. I found your thoughts really interesting..

I do think that you don't see girls wearing tights as pants though because they are thinner and more see through.. Which goes to your point.

Still not convinced that girls can't wear them as pants. They just don't look tacky on everyone and the girls that they do look tacky on should have better fashion sence.. haha..

What Girls Said 5

• Jeggings can be worn as pants.

Leggins can be worn as pants with a tunic.

(A shir to cover the camel toe and panty lines.

• I honestly don't think leggings should be worn as pants... That's just me. They just look wrong. I don't feel as covered and protected in leggings as I do in jeans or other pants. And whenever I see them on chubby girls... *shudder* Know your limits people.

• I love leggings. I'm wearing them right now, as a matter of fact. :)

I think that they look best under a long-ish top. They kind of tend to bunch around your crotch area, which isn't really attractive, so I don't like to show that area off when I'm wearing leggings. They look great with longer T-shirts and tank tops though.

• Ha Ha... yeah I get that... My friend calls that bunching penguin crotch.. ha ha.. every time she says that it cracks me up!...

Yeah its funny how some girls love them and some hate them.. I mean they are not for every girl.. But if you look good in them, then they are pants.. haha...

Good to know you are wearing them now!...

I notice a lot of girls wear them on plane flights... They must be super comfy.. haha..

• They're waaaaaay comfy. Basically like being naked, only slightly warmer, haha.

• yes leggings can fit as pants. they have what's called jeggins which are jean leggings. I wear them all the time by themself

• Yeah.. Jeggings are whole other question on here!... They can be hot as well though!...

• People won't like what I have to say but wearing leggings as pants is NO DIFFERENT than wearing yoga pants aka leggings with a flare.

What Guys Said 2

• They're intended to be worn under something. While wearg them as yoga pants might look good on some girls, it would not be stylish and would make her look like she was trolling for attention.

• She's jealous of women with hot asses.