What got you over the "edge" to get a tattoo?

By this question I mean: what made you say: f* it, I'm getting my tattoo!

I want one, I know what I want and where I want it, the colors, everything. Though I'm still a bit scared as in: what if I get tired of it? What if it fades? What if I can't stand the pain? What if I don't like the place where I put it and I should've put it somewhere else on my body.

You know what I mean. So everybody with a tattoo, let me know!

Most Helpful Guy

• Love all my tattoos. Just make sure you can cover it in a t-shirt unless you're really dedicated to it. All of my tattoos seem to represent phases in my life. They're like windows into my old mindset which I really like a lot. If there is something really important to you then why not make it permanent? Make it something that represents who you are, where you've been, how far you've come. Something with a story that can help people you care about understand you better. I don't think you'd become dissatisfied with something like that.

It's not painful, it's really not that big of a deal. Most people sit in the chair for the first time and realize they were just being silly thinking it was going to be worse than it actually is.

What Guys Said 7

• I'm just a person who lives in the moment and sometimes I don't think about consequences which is why I didn't even hesitate when I went and got mine. I got 4 now... about to get a 5th on the inside of my lip :)))

• I'll tell you what has kept me from getting a tattoo:

Every once in a while I contemplated getting a tattoo, then after a few years of making sure it's what I would still want, I cringe at the tattoo I would even consider.

• Yeah, but I have this idea in my mind for 2-3 years now and I'm as excited as I was back then... so that's not what's keeping me back now

• i wanted the RHCP Astrix for a long time as I was singing, playing guitar and figured I'd be into it my whole life... after 4-5 years, I stopped playing and moved on to my next passion, mechanics.

I then wanted a two pistons in a cross (like the bones of a pirate thingy)... well after 4 years of building motors and racing.. I now have moved on from it.

Looking back, I am very glad I did not get those tattoos as I just change way too much as far as what I'm into what what's important to me at

• Never did get a tattoo. Too lame. Not gonna pay for some sh*t like that. Do my own piercings, so I do my own other bodily modifications. I branded the back of my hand in a sort of "X" work texturing. Still healing, I'll see how it turns out.

• i just really wanted one. I play soccer so I like to take my shirt off because I have a good body lol so it looks pretty good on me. besides its an inspirational quote that actually helps. when I look at it I wanna get to the busienss.

• Nothing got me over the edge..I hate them on other people so I would not subject anyone else to mine...(:

• Because I'm dope as a motherf***er.

• A push. It was a long fall but after recovering in the hospital I gained the confidence to get a tattoo.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't have a tattoo, but my general philosophy is this: If after a certain amount of time as passed and I still want the item (or want to do an activity/go somewhere), then I get it. The amount of time varies per item/event. An example can be a pricey, yet very cute dress. If I've been eyeballing it for a few weeks and I still desperately want it (even though it's a bit expensive), then I say, "F*** it, I'm getting it. End of story."

So if you've been thinking about this tattoo for a long time, have the right idea of what you want, and still find yourself saying "Yes, I want it !" then I say go for it.

• BEFORE you even consider getting a tattoo, you need to know if this is exactly what you want. You can get them laser removed but it costs a heck more to remove it than have it on in the first place.

1) You need to know exactly what you want and where you want. You can second guess yourself. The moment you start second guessing, you need to start over and rethink everything.

2) Once you have decided, you need to know what you are getting yourself into. Make sure you do research on your artist as well as the tattoo shop (certificates & reviews come in handy)

3) ALL TATTOOS HURT! no matter where you get them, there will always be pain and discomfort. Some body parts hurt more than others but the pain is tolerable. After a while, that body part does get numb. If you feel that you are in too much pain, you have the right to ask your artist to stop until you are ready to continue. It's a rule applied to a lot of tattoo parlors.

4) Colours do fade over time. Your first retouch is normally free the first year. (ask the shop)

But if there is a lot of color, you will need to touchup every 5 years if you want it to look vibrant.

I hope this helps. & goodluck.

• Yea, it does, thanks! I do have the idea set in my mind for a while but I'm still doubting where, on the side of my foot or on my back below my shoulder. I have a tattoo parlor in mind as well, everybody I know loves them and they have a great reputation. Thank you!

• I just did it, period.

You only live once. . . And life is short.

If you want it, get it.

It's your choice.

Just make sure it's nothing stupid!