Would you rather be too fat or too thin?

Everyone in this world complains either way - they're either too bony, or they're too flabby, they're too this, they're too that.

Which would you rather be - overweight or underweight? This is mostly an appearance question, but if you want you can bring other factors, like health, into it.

Just for the record, I have struggled with my weight the whole life, I am overweight (I'm not like an elephant, just filled out, curvy and a bit of a tummy on me sadly) but I would much rather be underweight. I think you get more health problems from being overweight and in this day and age, I think you're made to be more ashamed of yourself for being fat than thin.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well.. during my teenage years, or basically all my life I've been struggling by maintaining(or actually achieving) normal weight proportionate for my height, I've always been a tall guy but way too skinny, and over all that my appetite is just terrible, I need to force myself to eat.

However I've achieved normal weight by gaining more muscle mass and my self-image now is in way better condition it used to be before.

Would it be better by being pre-"coded" to be fat? Definitely not.

A good shape means having more muscle, not more fat.

When you're naturally skinny - you just have to consume enough protein and to lift weights.

But if you're naturally fat - you have to do all that plus insane cardio to burn fat... but that at the same time can also conflict with your aim to gain muscle.. you can burn not just fat but also muscle, so being like that makes it way more difficult and tedious to achieve a good shape.

What Guys Said 11

• i would rather be too fat. because you can to do something about it. but if your too skinny, I think it will be very difficult to put any size on. I know loads of really guys, they are just struggling to put on size. by the no one ideal weight anyway. a couple of stone over is no big deal.

• Overweight.

It would be easier to slim down than to buff up.

Furthermore, everybody will comment how great you look after you loose the weight. If you are skinny people are way meaner to you. I dated a girl that got anorexic at one point and I can tell you: fat is considered 'normal' but if you are underweight, people will call you a 'freak' in your face.

• Yeah but I also used to have people pin me by my throat against a wall and tell me I was disgusting and nobody would ever love me.

You get sh*t either way.

• Sure, but there are way more other overweight people that may want to be your friend. Being underweight is really isolating. I mean, my ex even got sh*t from obese people for crying out loud...

• But, there is a bigger emphasis to be thin. I'm not saying its not difficult being bullied as a thin person, you get crap either way, and how many plus size models do you see walking down the designer catwalks? Almost none. There is a bigger push to be thin than to be fat.

And hey if you're fat you get sweat problems and people don't wanna be friends with a smelly sweaty couch potato!

• I used to be too thin. It wasn't so bad. I think it depends on the person's metabolism, since everyone's basic idea is which would be an easier state to get back to a normal weight in.

• I'd rather stay. in the middle, too fat and/or too thin harms you over time

• Underweight. As long as we aren't talking extremely underweight, there's nothing unhealthy about being underweight. The same cannot be said for being overweight.

• Too thin.. Then I could eat and bulk up to my preferred size and strength :)

• depends if your a guy or girl. double standard seems to make it more OK for guys to be overweight than under and the opposite for girls. trust me it sucks being a skinny guy that has to force themself to eat 'enough'. I assume its like a girl being heavy having a hard time losing weight

• Thin totally. Then at least you look good in clothes if not naked. Fat- you look bad either way.

• too fat,

• I would rather be too thin...no question...(:

• depends on how skinny or fat are the options but ill pick fat ;p

What Girls Said 11

• Too thin.

Its a bit easier to put weight on than it is to take it off. There are more health dangers in being too big than there are being too thin.

Being too thin has its dangers but I could still exercise and try to build muscle and achieve overall health more easily than I could being overweight.

In being overweight, it would depend on where my extra weight was. If it was mostly in my waist and stomach then that puts me at higher risk for cardiovascular disease.

From a health standpoint, I would rather be underweight.

• I don't consider myself "too thin" but I am underweight according to BMI's and stuff...which aren't always accurate but still. Anyways, I'm fine with my weight...although I have to be because it's impossible for me to gain any weight. So I'll go with too thin.

• If I had a choice I wouldn't even let either happen being to fat and to thin are very bad for your health and body.

• I'd rather be underweight.

I used to weigh 105 lbs, and I loved it. Everyone said I was way too skinny, and that I look better now. And I agree. I look better at a healthy weight. But I like myself skinny, too.

• too fat. people who are too thin are just really sad to look at. I was underweight for most of my childhood, it was horrible having to overeat at every single meal. I'd fall asleep at the table 99% of the time from food comas

• Too thin. Then I'd eat my way righhht up to my ideal size. lol

• too thin, way funner to gain weight

• too thin because I can eat to gain weight and become normal. I LOVE food so id rather eat and gain than diet and lose

• It is easier to gain weight than lose it hunny

• Too skinny.

• too thin!