Is straight hair worth the damage?

Do you think it is worth the possible damage for a person with curly hair to get their hair permanently straightened?

It's a little pricey, anywhere from $300 to the thousands, and maintenance is a must, but, I mean, straight hair beats curly hair any day. Sure there's flat ironing, but that's even more damaging over time and time consuming.

My friend and I are thinking about it. I'm biracial, Hispanic and black but my hair isn't nappy. She's mixed and her hair is similar to mine and we're thinking of getting it.

Ex:

link

link

link

My hair:

link

hers is similar

Goal is straight or wavyish of course

Is it worth it?

Most Helpful Girl

• My hair used to be super curly and I would obsess about straightening it almost everyday while I was in high-school... Then I started to dye it so much that my curls started to become wavy..

I now miss my curlies! :[ I'm trying my best to take care of my hair and restore my curls.

I love my curly hair.. I miss it... Straight hair is so plain and boring. *my opinion*

Though, in any case..

Healthy curly hair beats damaged curly hair

&

Healthy straight hair beats damaged straight hair..

My advice would be: Enhance what you already have, don't damage it.

What Guys Said 12

• If you can rock it, it's not worth it. For some girls, curly hair is not complimenting them at all and, in such a case, it would be worth the damage. It depends on what you're satisfied with. If you think you look good with your hair the way to is, "don't fix what isn't broken."

• In my opinion purely aesthetic things are never worth any sacrifices to health to any part of your body. I would never do anything to my body that had could cause damage in the name of looks

• No, its not worth the risk. Your hair is beautiful, although admittedly hard to manage.

• It's not.

Personally I don't care - I love straight hair as well as curly hair on women. It's just that everybody always wants what they don't have - and so girls with beautiful curly hair will forever try straightening it, while girls with straight hair will always undulate it. It's just the way it is - generally, not only with hair.

• I actually like straight hair 'best'. But hair like that last link I quite like. More then 'wavy'. There is a straightness to it that I think you might lose. So I'd leave it alone from an aesthetic standpoint.

• My sister got naturally straight hair but.. she wants curly hair, and she's using whatever-that-device-is-called to make her hair curlier but it lasts only for about a day.

People often want what they don't have. The grass always is greener on the other side.

• link a website for people with curly hair. please don't ruin your hair by straining it. I often wish more girls had curly hair.

• Curly hair >>>>>>>>> straight hair, any day of the week.

• personally I love curly/wavy hair more than strait so my response is no it's not worth it.

• Straight hair is hot.

And long hair is hot.

And both? WOW.

• I wouldn't worry about it honestly.

• For that amount of munny you can but some nice golf clubs, and who wnows who your see out there =)

What Girls Said 42

• I think your hair is really nice how it is now. But the choice is yours. Everyone wants what they can't have or don't have, and I have heard this conversation play over and over with a bunch of my friends. Some of them have curly hair, and yes it is a lot of maintenance.

Straight hair can need maintenance too. It really depends on a person's natural hair makeup. I have straightish hair and my hair is naturally oilly. So I have to wash it everyday. I also have to be careful when I straighten it or curl it or do anything with it because it is prone to being dry. People say only wash your hair every other day, I can't do that. It's really greasy :S

My advice to you is weigh the pros and the cons. Is having straight hair something you can live with now? Or is it going to be a decision you are able to live with for the rest of your life?

I think wavy hair can be beautiful! And it's highly underrated! But I understand the problems, it's harder to maintain than straight hair.

Look at all the costs associated with having your hair permanently straightened. Do you have to go in for other treatments to keep it straight? If so, I would plan out what you are going to do about that.

• Here are some reviews on it: link

A lot of people have said it's nice at first, but then in a few weeks when your natural hair starts to grow in it's just a pain. Only the top would be all curly and you'd have to straighten only that part to make it look normal. And if you can't afford the $300 every few months to do touch ups then you're going to have some pretty funny looking hair. If I were you I'd just embrace your natural hair, the like which looks like your hair is actually really pretty :)

• NO keep those beautiful wavy locks.

Straight hair - ugh everyone has straight hair, African Americans / Mallato's are the only one's who can rock that kinky look - totally unique to our culture, and it's so very beautiful. I wear my hair straight for some weeks, that gets boring, so I can just rock some natural curls to shake up the monotony.

Flat iron is only damaging to your hair if you don't protect your hair before styling. That's as simple as sliding a thin layer of grease over the strand, and deep conditioning really well.

I flat iron every so often and my hair has grown over 3 inches within the last couple of months. My ends are not fried or split - I've even dyed my hair which is the most horrible thing you can do, but just taking good care of it will keep your hair growing and healthy despite what you put it through lol.

Straight hair is okay but it's not going to make you suddenly extra prettier or more desirable or anything. I get hit on more when I have my natural hair out, then I do when it's straight. Guys will make comments about how soft it is and play with it lol :P

Dont' lose the curls girl, they make up a unique part of you, and that texture is so unbelievably gorgeous.

• I had a few friends get the japanese treatment and the brazilian treatment. they all really loved it at first, but the one with the brazilian treatment had her hair become severly brittle and dry after two months. The japanese treatment made my friends hair break and fall out towards the end of the treatment. its a really temporary thing to want, I've had the option of getting it for free as a birthday gift. I would rather straighten my curls EVERY morning instead of getting it done lol. Maybe ask around to see some real life examples?

• Problem with asking around is most people I know who get their hair "permed" straight or curly simply use relaxers--which I refuse to use. The only people I can think of are about 2 Asian girls -_- and they already had decent hair to begin with

• Nope :/

Do you think people at Sallys would give me an unbiased answer? Cause I know most of them are going into the cosmetology field

• Maybe :O Maybe if you talked to 5 people from different places you'd get a good idea of how they would work on your hair.

• My aunt's hair has no defined curl whatsoever. In other words, it's frizzy. It would probably settle down if she stuck a fork in an electrical outlet. My hair was the same way for a few years and then it got better. Hers has always been crazy as hell.

Her hair is very healthy and she has hers chemically straightened on a regular basis as well as using a flat iron on it.

She uses shampoo and conditioner by the brand H2O as well as a deep conditioning mask once a week.

If you have the money to pay for the treatment and the products that will keep your hair healthy, it's okay. It's honestly worth it if you can find someone who really knows what they're doing with the chemicals.

• Well that obviously depends on your facial feautures, some people look better with curly hair.

But I don't think it worth the damage, I don't even blowdry my hair cause I think that will get them very very damaged. But if that will help you feel more confident and achieve more things then go for it.

Purely based on looks I don't think that's a good decision especially because getting hair in bad condition when your straigntening will go away won't make you happy.

Plus, you do know it's not really permanent and when your hair will start growing you'll have a bi-textured hair and no one wants that . ..

• No. your hair is beautiful. Instead of product use leave in conditioner "mixed chix" with a little olive oil. Then you can touch it but still have definition while improving the health of your hair on a daily basis. Permanent straightening is a joke at best your hair will be straight and nappy but usually it will look like you let your hair dry naturally then run a brush through it FRIZZ.

But it does make it easier to straighten and looks great when you run a flat irion over it. But say goodbye to the length of your hair.

You'd Be better off flat ironing on a low temp only on occasion.

Curly is beautiful and DIFFERENT. Stand out.

• My hair curls if I just wash and leave it. I'm also mixed race and I love my curls, honestly though using a GHD flat iron or even blow drying my hair gives me any look I want- it can be pin straight- wavy or curly. I think permanent straighteners are damaging and they lack versatility. Embrace your curls and take some time to style it, I guarantee you'll be happier in the end. :)

• I have a question, is a GHD really that good? I've been a Chi lover for years, but so many people recommend the GHD. Do you recommend it?

• I definitely recommend it. Its the only flat iron I use.

• I wouldn't. All the girls I know who did this have large chunks that fall out usually. I don't think its worth it especially since when your natural hair comes in its a pain.

• Please don't. I love curly hair. I think it's so beautiful and full of body. I have natural straight hair and it won't ever curl for me. The girl that you you said looks similar to your hair is beautiful hair. I would say keep it.

• It looks nice in those pictures, but a friend of mine had hers done and it didn't look like that. It was straight, but it was very dry looking no matter what she put in it, not silky like those photos.

I would say not worth it unless you know for sure that it will be silky looking, because dry looking fried straight hair is way worse than curls.

• Trust me. It's not worth the damage.

I have wavy hair but in high school I straightened it everyday to a point where it started to get damaged even when I was using a heat protector. Than the wavy hair stayed straight even after washing it. I had to let it grow out which was horrible because the roots were wavy but the rest of my hair was straight as if I failed at straightening.

Straightening from time to time is alright but pin straight everyday is not worth it.

• It depends but if it is good condition then go for it. Thought I have to agree money is a big factor. I used to want curly hair and straight hair and got perm for both. I realized that the Brazilian blowout is probably the best for me (even though there are reports of toxic) because after my bad curly perm, I had an Asian afro. After getting my hair treated with the Brazilian blowout, my hair was smooth and straight. After so many washes, the curly comes back. Someone said that this treatment is probably the best one for curly hair. It last usually 1-2 months. I can't wait to get my hair redone (caused a little split ends but my hair was in bad shape after the perm).

• I'd say no. My sister had curly hair (soft curls) and she had it chemically straightened. Whilst it looked amazing for a little while, it wrecked her hair and when it started growing out it looked weird as hell. She regrets it like crazy. I know that's only one example, but just the risk of it ruining my hair would scare the crud out of me.

Also, those curls are freaking luscious. If you had unruly, nasty curls I'd say maybe try it, but if yours are like the ones in the last pic they look pretty darn killer. Trade?

• Honey- I straightened my hair everyday this year. First, it was a bother. The day I quit, I felt so relieved... I actually loved the pretty wavy hair I had. It looked natural. I am still regretting those few months of straightening because of the fact that I have broken hair now. I got a haircut but the damage will take a long time to get rid of.

Don't do it, it isn't worth it. Coming from a person who did it and I am totally regretting it. It is fine on occasion, but I think the best thing to do is a Brazilian blowout, but still- I mean, don't fry your hair like that! Maybe just on occasion, but I think curly hair is beautiful.

A pretty style- straight hair on top and as it goes down it goes wavy and then curls. It's a hairstyle that is GORGEOUS.

• No, it's not.

I love curly hair so much! I wish the black side of me, had curly hair instead of it being straight.

If your hair is similar to hers, by all means flaunt it! Let your curls simply be. Also, curly hair have more choices when it comes to styling it.

• But your hair looks so gorgeous!

• I do indeed deep condition with olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil. Helps with frizz and keeps my hair soft

• Damn, then you're set. Whatever floats your hair missy. :)

• i've done it at home 2 times and, sincerely, I wouldn't do it again. My hair got really damaged and lost all of it's shine. But, well, cheap products and doing the straight at home, shouldn't hope much more. hopefully didn't got any allergy or hair loss :\

• Nope, but most people hate curly hair.

Sometimes we straighten to be accepted.

Anyway, you will ruin you hair and end up cutting it off because of it being damaged..i'm not sure about that...

• It is definitely worth the damage! I would look a right mess if I didn't straighten it! I've also noticed that quite a few guys in my year actually straightens their hair! Didn't actually know guys did that. So I guess a lot of people share my view, even guys :)

• If you really like to then don't deny yourself. I'd say do it! At least try it once.

• I wouldn't put excess chemicals in my body unless its necessary, flat ironing isn't necessarily more damaging if done properly and use heat protection etc

• not for me since I like to wear it curly but you can braid or twist wet hair to make it wavy without heat

• If you plan on wearing your hair straight every day then it's worth it to get it permanently straightened. It doesn't have to mean that you'll have damage though if you take care of it well and know what to do. I'm wondering why you wouldn't just get a relaxer though? Relaxers seem a lot easier to do plus they aren't that expensive

• During high school I used to freak out a lot because of my curly hair, I hated it. Tried to get it straight as many times as I could.

Then sometime along the way I realized straight hair is just plain and ordinary. When I looked at myself in the mirror with straight hair it was like something was missing. And I now love my curls, they're like a part of myself that defines me and that's priceless.

• if you have nice curls then keep them... curls are way sexier.

i have straight hair id trade in any day of the week.

• nope

• No I can't deal with 2 different textures

• No. Getting it chemically straightened can damage your hair, and when it goes out(which it will) It's completely pointless. But, if it makes you REALLY happy, do it.

• Nope. I think curly hair makes a person look younger and more vibrant. If anything define those curls instead of getting rid of them.

• your hair is so nice though...

i don't think it's worth it. I have a friend who got keratin treatments done and she lost so much volume to her hair...

• More from Girls
    12