Thinking of getting a perm - any tips or advice?

I have dark brown hair that goes to the middle of my back. It's really long, and naturally wavy, but it goes straight when I blow dry it (and it doesn't look great when it dries by itself, so I always blow dry). Lately I've been getting bored with the style - I don't want to cut it any shorter and I don't want to color it, so I'm considering getting a perm to change things up! Do you have any advice, personal experience with perms, anything that might help me avoid a disaster? Thanks in advance!

Most Helpful Girl

• I've had perms and don't think you should perm it - damages the hair so much, kinda like you've bleached it a tonne. Plus you risk them getting it wrong, which is most likely to happen. I would recommend curling/waving it, heat protectant & not an excessive temperatue. I've been styling mine for years nearly everyday and my hair still feels soft, doesn't look damaged... that's on 160 degrees cel tho. If you're going to be using like 300... just... barely use it haha.. opt for a different haircut instead.

• Thank you, your answer is the only descriptive one so far :) I've decided against the perm - but for styling, are there any good heat protectors that you would recommend? I've never used them before so I'm not sure what to look for.

• Oh definitely! I use TRESemme heat tamer spray, here is a link of what it looks like htt p://carelessons.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/tresemme-thermal-creations-heat-tamer.html I use it because it sprays/mists on very nicely and is not sticky. There is another one by that brand designed to hold curls, that one makes hair sticky and crunchy, I personally do not recommend it but you could try it out. I haven't found the need to try high end brands & most beauty gurus on YouTube use the one I mention.

What Guys Said 2

• Im not a girl natural hair I think looks better. There was a thing on YouTube I looked up a while back I get intrigued in random things. If I remeber this post and the video I will send a vid in any case look up vids on YouTube.

• yeah I have one tip...don't do it.

• Do you guys really hate it that much?

• I don't hate them, I'm just not a fan. I never see anyone with them anymore. If you want to perm it, then do so.

What Girls Said 3

• It might break off when your perm grows out but I don't know a lot since I've never had one

Naturallycurly.com

• You could go bald watch Good Hair

• You can't wash your hair for a day when you first get it