Aside from high prices, why else is it bad to be fashionable?

I hear all the time that people don't like to be fashionable. Mostly because of the prices and how much it costs to be fashionable but..why else is it bad to be this way?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by fashionable, but here are a few reasons why some people are anti-fashion:

1. Following fashion trends = following the crowd. A lot of people pride themselves on being unique, so wearing what everyone else is wearing, or wearing something because a fashion magazine says it's going to be the next big trend can seem like you're being a "sheep".

2. There are a lot more important things in the world to care about than what you're wearing. Putting a lot of time, effort, and money into your appearance (including how you dress) can come across as shallow/superficial.

3. People sometimes assume that people who are very fashionable, particularly if they tend to wear "brand name"/designer clothing are elitist (and for some people this is true). Some people use clothing to show off their wealth and they may look down on others who don't wear or can't afford designer clothing.

4. Wearing "brand name"/designer clothing can make you seem like a walking advertisement for corporations. You pay more for the clothing because it's a popular brand, and then you are essentially advertising their clothing for them by wearing it. This is particularly true for companies that have their name or logo visible on their clothing.

What Girls Said 12

• Because of the prices?

Uh there are stores like Idk, Ross, TJMaxx, Forever 21 - that are pretty fashionable and pretty cheap for the quality stuff you get.

Being fashionable is more about if you can actually throw a decent outfit together. Price tags are such an excuse - people should either own up to the fact that they aren't sure what looks good on them, or they just don't care to dress fashionably. Both of which is totally fine.

But price? Lol worst excuse ever.

I spend only like 35 bucks when I go shopping - end up with 8 shirts, 3 pairs of jeans, maybe some shoes too. 3 complete outfits with only 35 - 40 bucks.

Yea...so expensive.

The only time I think it's bad to be fashionable, is when you do it purely for self - esteem reasons. Like you can't go a day with just a hoodie or sweats because your so concerned with your outter appearance.

Other than that - dress away...

• A lot of people don't like the idea of 'following fashion' - but that doesn't mean they're not fashionable and or stylish.

Most people who dislike following fashion and trends tend to think that it stops someone from expressing themselves and is just a marketing ploy to get people to spend money often. You can be very fashionable and spend little money and not very often.

• You mean following trends?Just because some one follows a trend,that doesn't mean they are spending a fortune.And to me the definition of fashionable doesn't necessarily mean something EVERYONE is wearing...it could be that individuals personal creations and style. I will say that those who desire to wear exactly what jumps off of the pages of VOGUE and other fashion publications siting trends,in my opinion come off as mediocre.

• Its not expensive for me(women clothing tends to be cheaper)plus I shope at Ross Marshalls ect.

I don't like to dress fashionable a lot because people always ask where I shop and then look diappointed that I don't shop at name brand expensive stores but I wouldn't want to shop there anyways

• Cost is a factor for me.

But also, it's not that important to me. Most days I wear wind-break/athletic shorts and a tshirt.

It's really only on the weekends when I go out that I get dressed up.

• I think that depending on other people to decide what looks best is one downside of being 'fashionable'. Also, depending on brands as part of what makes you fashionable is a little much. Rather than trying to be 'fashionable' people should just wear what they want to. If you're comfortable in it, that'll make you more confident and confidence is attractive. Isn't that better than depending on what's 'fashionable'?

• Fashionable doesn't mean expensive. I like to be fashionable and so do all of my guy and girl friends.

• I don't like for people to think I'm rich

• because everyone is wearing the same

• Its not a bad thing if you like people to beg you for money

• Define fashionable?

• Just because it's in style doesn't mean it's my style.

What Guys Said 2

• Fashion is superficial and has nothing to do with originality or character. It is something you can buy in stores. We all participate in it one way or the other though, but it should never be your main focus I think. Fashion is nice, but is not nearly as important as character or heart. It is not bad to be fashionable, but it is bad to be fashionable at the expense of other, more important, things.

• Are we drawing a distinction between fashionable and stylish?

• Fashion is a style

• Yes, fashion is _a_ style. Everything is a style. Being out of fashion is also 'a style'.

What did you mean by fashion in your question though? If you mean trends, then people may think following trends too closely, aside from being superficial also betrays a lack of taste and too much concern with trying to meet standards of others blindly, without intelligently applying them to one's own situation.