Are "wife beater" type shirts ever acceptable for a guy to wear?

I know they look a little trashy, but they are comfortable and I like to show off my tattoo's. Plus I'm in much better shape than I used to be so I feel good wearing tight clothes.

So, sexy or douchy?

Also I live in a desert.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 7

• Yeah, my boyfriend wears them all the time whenever he is off base. It's cool if he wears them around the house or working outside, even to the store to pick up a few things. But I don't think they should be worn anywhere else.

• I completely agree with you. I should have put more context into the question I suppose.

• Oh that's just wrong lol

• It's downright degrading!

• If you're working out or playing sports it's okay, or just lounging around the house. But not going out some place :P

• no. unless your a big buff black guy.

• Makes you look like a wife beater (an abusive and high tempered person)... Quite literally.

• why are they called wifebeater by the way? how did that term come about?

• It depends on how you wear it and what with.

• Right now I'm wearing one with dark jeans and black leather shoes. I had a collared shirt on but it got hotter and I took it off.

• That sounds fine, cute even, I just don't particularly like the wifebeater with shorts, unless they're more cargo like lol.

• Interesting... maybe I'll wear exactly that over to my gf's and see how she feels about it. Then again, she has a biased opinion lol. I agree completely about the shorts though.

• Depends on the venue. Mostly, they look just a little trashy. Try some that are other colors than white to pass them off more easily, haha. Some places, it's required to wear sleeves -- certain resturants and even some bars! So stash a shirt in the car just in case.

• Yea, I'm not talking about going out to nice places. More like walking out for a cigarette or picking up groceries on a hot day.

• I think people are probably pretty laid back about what you wear in the desert heat, right?

• Pretty much. Lately I've just been wearing it because the open air feels good on my newest tattoo.

What Guys Said 2

• I always wear them..no one seems to complain and even if they did..I'd give them the finger. Its acceptable and its comfortable

• Best to wear in the summer imo.