BEYONCE voted people magazine most beautiful woman?

What are your thoughts on that? I'm glad to see more african women given this title :)

Most Helpful Girl

• im black and I kind of wish women werent consistently rated in value based on how they look. lists are essentially ridiculous but when is people magazine going to post "the smartest woman" or "the most ambitious woman" or some sh*t like that? not that things like this haven't been done, but not nearly as much as the annual "sexiest women" lists. ugh.

but I guess I can see how some people see this as a victory...but its beyonce. I'm glad she made it, good for her, but I'm not surprised. she fits neatly into the image of what is acceptable as a black woman, especially since she ditched the urban look, got some new weave and changed up her hair, and the media consistently lightens her skin. I can't say ill care too much, but ill be really shocked when a really dark skinned black woman with natural hair or something makes it as most beautiful woman. although I think miss universe is dark black woman (not with natural hair though, of course). it doesn't really affect me much, as I'm a pretty, very light skinned black woman (much lighter than beyonce without the lighting) with natural hair. most people think I'm mixed anyway.

im not saying its not significant in some way. I'm sure it is. I just tend to see the bigger picture. this is nice, but what ELSE? when I see that nappy headed dark skinned girl, especially if she has what some people label "black features" (which are really just stereotypes, but many black women do have them) on the list as most beautiful, or hell, even in the top 5, then ill actually be surprised. then ill be able to genuinely say, "oh, so we're actually getting some sh*t done now? that's nice."

ill be happy when there can be less stereotypical portrayals of black women in society and when the subtext in society teeters away from ideas of black women that have been looming around since slavery. or when political structures keeping the huge disparity of wealth between alive start to weaken and shake. or when discrimination against black men improves. I have a long list of things that matter more to me that could be addressed. that's when ill be happy. I could go on. I really don't give a f*** about who people magazine thinks is the most beautiful black woman, if I'm being perfectly honest. sorry, boo.

What Guys Said 8

• When I heard, I thought "Really? You're kidding, right?" I don't think she's the most beautiful woman by far. I'm not sure whom I *would* choose, but it wouldn't be her. Honestly though, I'm of the mindset of "Eh, who really cares" about it all.

As for her being black, to me she seems like a female version of Michael Jackson, getting whiter and whiter. Like some of the other commenters here, I wonder if she'd still have gotten the vote if she were 'blacker' (for lack of a better term).

• ... it's funny that you should say that because it looks like she has caught the same overproduced heavily banked and extravagant production sickness he had. The only problem is she can't sing worth f***

• Beyonce is not African, she's American, born in Houston TX.

And anyway, I don't think that link is a standard typical look for an African woman. She's trying as hard as she can to look white. I'd rather see natural African beauty praised for what it is.

link or link are far better examples of African beauty.

• The last two are definelty true African beauty. But aren't African-Americans origionally West African?

• I hate her, I don't care that she's affrican but I just simply hate her, even more then I hate Rihanna ( and I would strangle that little biash)

• A) She's not African

B) I think it's pandering and a disgusting choice.

• um that's the term you guys use in America so don't get all grammer nazi on me sheesh its just a question not a big time send it to the queen essay -_______-

• I've seen her productions and it looks like she inherited the big theatrical-advertising-crosspromotional monster that was left homeless at the neverland ranch.

• I wonder what took so long. She's been beautiful for a long time.

• I can think of a lot of women that are more sexy and talented...

• idgaf what some magazine names as the most beautiful woman, it doesn't mean anything at all..

• can she even be considered African anymore considering how white she's gotten? link

What Girls Said 9

• Good for her, I just wish she wasn't the type of black woman to have her skin 3 shades lighter on her album cover and loreal ad. She should be proud of her golden brown skin.

• I really thought it would be Rihanna honestly..beyonce's so blah to me

• I don't think she's most beautiful woman

Who gives a f*** about race anyhow

• although I don't think beyonce is at all beautiful I am glad to see a woman of color on there. there are a lot of people of color that are gorgeous!

• she's beautiful. I think she's my new girl crush. I envy her booty.

• I say good for her, but I think their could have been a better choice.

• what were your choice be?

• Megan Good, Gabrielle Union, Vanessa Williams (not the youngest best still beautiful),.

Also I think they should have had a different picture for Beyonce if she was going to be chosen.

• Beyonce is overrated and I've long stopped caring about what the mainstream thinks about black beauty. I mean don't get me wrong she's pretty but there are lots more prettier black actresses out there. I'm a little annoyed with all these people saying she doesn't look black. Sometimes like the Loreal ads where they whitened her up, she doesn't look like herself, but majority of the time she looks like a black woman. We don't all look the same, there are light skinned women too. and yes beyonce does look black. it's like as soon as she gets famous to the superstar level people are questioning her blackness but they werent saying that sh*t when she was in destiny's child smh

• shes so beautiful :D on her tumblr, she's so full of class. I'm very happy for her :)

• Ultimately I don't care, and that title means nothing at all.I will actually care once they have an actual dark skinned african American woman nominated,but that will not happen sadly. AND...i would choose halle berry over Beyonce anyday.Halle looks great even in her 40s.