What do you think of the wayfarer glasses trend?

I'm talking about wayfarers as actual prescription glasses, not as sunglasses or fake glasses.

Some say they're trendy link some say they're hipster link but I generally think they're pretty freaking cute looking link

I'm almost up for a new pair of glasses, so I'm looking forward to getting my wayfarers. Hey, what color frames should I get? My office is pretty laid back about their dress code, but neon green and things of that nature is probably not a good idea.

Most Helpful Guy

• Good question.

I think when everyone starts sporting the same trend, no matter how amazing it may be, it completely loses its charm. I for once, don't want to be people who 'follow' other, I'd lead them if anything. And there is nothing charming about them anymore in my honest opinion.

They will always look good on people with angular bone structure and good jaw lines, but I have also seen people on whom (trend aside) they don't even look good. Besides, there are far cooler and trendier options, that may actually suit your face cut better.

• I've always liked them, but every pair of glasses I've owned were paid for by my mother and she wouldn't let me have wayfarers. Now I'll be buying my own pair. Also, I have a fairly angular face shape and jaw line.

What Guys Said 10

• If you like them get them. Why does it matter about whether or not it's a trend?

• Yes, hipsters tend to be associated with Wayfarers in popular culture.

Wayfarers have been around since the 1950's and have gone through periodic surges in popularity (notably in the late 1980's and late 00's). I don't even know if I would call them "trendy" anymore because their current popularity already peaked a couple years ago and has declined quite a bit since then.

Personally, I think you should wear whatever you want and not worry if it's trendy or not. Certain shades look good on certain faces (for example, I can't pull off frame-less shades because I have a huge head and it looks weird).

• I like the last pair, but I would like them even more if they were smaller than that.

Remember trends die fast by personal expression lives on.

If you won't get self conscious once the flock moves on to something new and you are left in the dust then I'd say be careful.

But if you're like me and wear whatever the f**k you want even if it's "out" then by all means do whatever makes your eyes sparkle.

• I really don't like wayfarer glasses, as soon I see them I just think HIPSTER, I know its bad and I shouldn't judge, but it is a hipster thing right? Just because I don't like them doesn't mean they can't look good though, I've seen people with them who can pull them off, but I'd rather a girl just wear more simple glasses

• Definitely hipster... Umm for color, maybe red? I dunno... Why not your favorite?

• I like the first pair...I have Rx glasses myself too. It depends on your face...but the first one looked really good on the girl.

• I have a pair of black Wayfarer II's from the 80's. A true find as they have real glass lenses and the tint is in the glass. I'm with you in that there's something classy about them. Maybe it's the large coverage area and the fact that they don't wrap around my face like Oakley "goggles".

• I think they look good if the person wearing them can pull of the look.

• Meh not my type.

• As long as they look natural and not big and goofy.

What Girls Said 7

• I think that as long as they look good on the person, it shouldn't matter. Everyone has their own style. Yes they are a bit of a trend, and if you are not able to afford new glasses every couple of years, I would recommend finding something that is in a neutral color (that way you won't get bored of them), and even in a classic design.

But most wayfarers are a classic design and shape, so you will probably be okay for a while :)

But in the end it's up to you. I have Vera Wang glasses that I got several years ago and they are alright. At the time they were kind of trendy, they were the thicker plastic frames that were a square shape. I am due for a check up and I might get some new glasses. But overall I am happy because they were not too trendy, I got them in a more neutral color so they weren't going to be too trendy looking.

• I say do it.

I do not think it is so much a trend as much as it is just people coming to accept nerdiness as a little more mainstream.

(The whole nerdy/offbeat = cool thing.)

I know from personal experience. . .

I was forcibly given this style of frame for my prescription glasses waaay back in the day at the young age of 14.

I was teased relentlessly!

Then, all of a sudden, 2 years later all of the girls at school kept fawning over how cute I looked in them and were asking where I get my glasses from?

Lol.

• They're cute but just like red lipstick, isn't right for everyone. I'd go with dark brown, like the last link.

• I like them! Some people can pull it off and some can't. Go with a dark color if you decide to get the frames. It'll save you a lot of distress later on (trust me, I had bright purple frames at one point... they didn't go with ANYTHING I owned).

• if you like them,wear them. but I don't like them,they're too trendy and they are too big for most faces-as prescription glasses that is.

• I have some prescription Wayfarer glasses but in original black color. Other colors are hipster look.

• I have black ones, and I like them.