Why is wearing a bra (or not wearing one) such a big deal?

I ended up walking around half the day without a bra because I forgot to put one on this morning and didn't realize it until it was too late to do anything. Once I came to that realization I instantly started to try and keep my arms up for stupid reasons so I could get some cover. Then I thought that was stupid. Why do all we women seem to care so much whether or not we wear a bra? Why is this our automatic reaction? I feel like there's no real reason for us to care whether we wear one or not excepting stuff like support for women who feel they need it.

I feel like I'm explaining this questions slightly badly, but hey.

*question

Most Helpful Girl

• Well there's many reasons why I wear a bra. Firstly, to prolong by breasts from sagging. Secondly I don't want people to see my nipples through my shirt when it's cold. It's just really not...what I want people to see. Thirdly I like that it shapes them and keeps them in a firm position. Every time I go bra less my shirts never look quite "right" for me. I can still get away with some of my tight dresses without wearing a bra but on your average day you won't find me without one. I don't like the way it makes me look.

• bra can't beat gravity ;P

• I've actually heard that bras do the opposite. By having them do all the work holding them up for you, your chest muscles don't have to work to do anything so when you don't wear a bra your breasts would sag more than if you didn't because the muscles are too weak to hold them up higher. Of course I don't know if that's true or not, and I don't remember where I heard it.

• No you could be right. I've read some articles on this and apparently there's some conflicting conclusions en theories so there's no real answer. Some studies have shown that they are effective while others have shown they're not. Oh well. Happy sagging :-D

What Guys Said 1

• Can't be having your titties flopping around everywhere! Kidding. Do it ;D

What Girls Said 5

• My boobs are big.. it matters if I'm not wearing one. They need to stay in a certain place.

• It's not. I don't wear a bra regularly. That's YOUR automatic reaction, not everyone's.

• Obviously there are going to be women who don't think its a big deal, but the majority do seem find it embarrassing or not okay for some reason.

• Well it does keep the support and keep from sagging also it covers your nipples. If I see a professional woman who isn't wearing a bra I am automatically to think that she is lower class for some reason. Saggy boobs and seeing nipples is just gross cover up! I would never want my child to be exposed to seeing something like that in public with women. I wouldn't like mens balls hanging out of their shorts and exposed neither should breasts

• Because I have big breasts and the feeling of them bumbling and bouncing around annoys the crap out of me, plus they're heavy...i don't like the feeling of them flopping over my stomach, skin stretching like they're gonna fall off. Also, a t-shirt can express the outline of your breasts more, making them VERY obvious and hard for other people not to look at, getting that reaction, "oh my god, look at that chick, is it really that hard to wear a friggin bra?", or even in your own household. Family might consider it rude or indecent for a girl to walk around bra-less in a (friendly) family setting where males might be present.

• Because they are more distinctive when you don't have a bra, and it's embarrassing. Everyone's used to people wearing bras, so it would draw attention to them.

Also, they won't move if you run up stairs lol.

And it's more comfortable.