How important is scent in a partner?

Lately I find I'm far more attracted to men who I think smell good. Do you think it's possible to be in a successful relationship where you don't like your partner's natural scent? How does the way the smell effect your interest in them. And would you prefer a girl/guy to wear perfume/cologne?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not possible for me, no. Scent is a large part of how I'm sexually attracted to a person, so if I'm not into the way a guy smells, it's going nowhere. I thought it was ridiculous until I did some homework on the topic.

Our attraction by scent runs deeper than just "Oooh, you're wearing Mustang Blue? I love that cologne!"

We have pheromones in our natural scents, and that registers on a more primal level in the brain than whether or not somebody is wearing the kind of cologne we like best. These pheromones are very important in attraction - they communicate a great deal about a person including health and fertility. Women put off more alluring pheromones when they are at their most fertile time during their cycle, for example.

While pheromones themselves do not have a scent, if we're not into the signals we get from them, chances are we won't like the scent of the person carrying them as much as someone else who has a more attractive set of triggers.

There are a lot of studies out there involving how we react to them without even knowing, and I've got to give it some credit. I like my boyfriend to smell clean, but I can't get enough of him when the soap or cologne doesn't mask the way he smells naturally. I think people smell best when they wear perfumes that go well with the way they smell anyway.

What Guys Said 2

• no one is turned on by a bad smell. but whenever there is average girl walks by and she smells good in my head she turns into a sexy woman that I wanna just grab and kiss right there lol hope that didn't come out wrong

• If I like you, then I can smell you from metres away.

It's a really powerful feeling and it will stay with me for two or three days afterward. I won't be able to get enough of it.

What Girls Said 7

• For me very important . I love my guy to smell like clean soap smell. My ex he is a marine so when he go work he just use soap and he smell so good that I just get turn on when near him. When go out he put a little bit cologne but not much. I like guy smell good and clean.

• I love it when a guy smells good! It's sexy!

• I love mild scents. It's important for me but I don't know why. LOL!

• When a guy smells good, it's a huge turn on for me :P But I'm not sure why.. Maybe it's because it's nice to know that there are guys who actually wash themselves :P lol

• I love good smelling men! When I see an attractive guy I usually smile at him but when I walk by him and he smells so amazing I just want to hug him :P Something about those colognes they wear...I especially like Hugo Boss and La Coste

• yea scent totally plays a role in attraction... I was with this one guy and he had a horrible scent... turns out her had an STD! Trust your instincts...

• i like a good cologne. I think that part of physical attraction is in the person's scent, it has to do with pheromones. if you aren't physically attracted, you will think he smells bad and also wouldn't enjoy kissing him, it would feel weird and not taste good.