What is your take on Claddagh rings?

If you don't know what they are, here is a brief summary:

- They are traditional Irish rings given as a token of friendship, love or marriage.

- They consist of two hands (friendship), holding a heart (love), with a crown on top of the heart (loyalty).

- The way in which they are worn conveys the wearer's relationship status:

Right hand + facing fingertips = wearer is single (may be looking for love)

Right hand + facing wrist = wearer is in a relationship

Left hand + facing fingertips = wearer is engaged

Left hand + facing wrist = wearer is married

Pic: link

I *really* like the idea of these rings. Not only are they pretty, but I love the tradition and the ideas behind them. I think it's a lovely custom, and I would very much like to get one (except I'm not Irish, so it would be a tad odd :T)

Most Helpful Girl

• I love the symbolism, and I have one myself. During my teen years I had one that my grandma passed down to me, but it ended up getting smashed and broken a couple years ago, which really upset me. =[ A couple months ago I was browsing online and found a really nice site with a variety of Irish-made claddagh jewelry, and I ordered myself a new one. It's actually exactly the same as the picture you posted, but in silver. link I'm very fond of it. =] I am Irish, but I don't think you need to be Irish to appreciate an Irish tradition, lol. You should get one if you love it. =] I wear mine facing my body on my right hand because I'm taken.

• Aw :T. Good thing you got another one, it looks really nice :). I think I will get one in silver. Also, cool hair :p

• Ahh, right of course. Hahaha, I have fat hands :p. Was your old one silver?

• Yeah, but the band and design itself were smaller and more dainty than the one I currently have. I like the bigger design, it suits my hand better, lol.

What Guys Said 4

• As a tradition they're great.

As a trend, meh.

I just don't like it when people co-opt meaningful things and turn them into a fashion statement. (I've seen some Goths or Emos or whatever wearing kilts, which really chaps my hide.)

• I don't mind them, but it would look weird for a guy to wear one

and probably means more if you're Irish

• It's a very admirable concept. Too bad I hate wearing rings. xD

Which way would you be wearing yours?

• Haha :). Uh... I think I'd be wearing it on the right hand facing the wrist :p

• I see them a lot here so I just think they're normal lol, I like the meaning behind them, and they're Irish too so I can't complain lol

What Girls Said 3

• They were the traditional wedding ring and its something I wish we kept and not pawned out all over the world.

• I love that idea! Super cute! :D Things with meanings are the best!

• sounds cool :) ..