Guys, what makes an outfit slutty and not sexy?

I usually try to add some sex appeal to my outfits, but always in a tasteful way.

For instance, I usually wear short skirts(finger-tip length or mid thigh) but then I pair it with a long sleeved blouse or something that covers my upper half well. If I wear something low cut on top then I will pair it with something very modest on bottom.

I think slutty would be showing boobs AND legs, whereas, "sexy" is one or the other.

But the other day my sister said I looked slutty and I was wearing a denim skirt that was fingertip length and a white crew-neck tee.

I don't think I looked bad but now I'm wondering...what do you consider the difference between sexy and slutty?

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people think anything outside of a burqa is slutty.

You can't please everyone, and everyone has a different line.

Honestly, I don't think a somewhat revealing top and a fingertip skirt would be that shocking. When you have dresses that just cover crotch and just go over nipples ... I actually just think they look unbalanced. But fingertip isn't crazy short, you could wear that length with anything.

Maybe your sister is just bitter.

What Guys Said 9

• Showing boobs and legs wouldn't be slutty, in my opinion. It's really all about HOW your clothing is presenting your body.

As a general rule-of-thumb:

Cute=Casual

Classy=Subtle

Slutty=Accentuating / exaggerating.

In terms of chest, it's about showing cleavage vs showing the curves that boobs are there.

So for instance, if you wanted to wear something cool for the summer:

Cute: Low-ish cut. Spaghetti straps or mini-sleeves. Mostly upper chest, little or no cleavage.

Slutty: Super-low-cut shirt with tight push-up bra to show tons of cleavage.

If it has words on it, it's generally slutty if it talks about your body. Conformist if it's an expensive brand name.

Basically, it'll be slutty if you display your body as your primary, favorite feature about yourself. It'll be classy if you use your clothes to show your intellect or personality. So classy would be showing your body in a "smart" or subtle/sensual way. Slutty would be showing it in a direct "stop looking at my eyes, my boobs are down here" way.

That's the best I could describe it.

• Sexy means dressing in a stylish slightly revealing way where something is left to the imagination. Slutty means letting it all hang out and purposely flaunting it. I don't think a denim skirt and white tee would qualify as slutty. If you wear Daisy Duke shorts with your butt hanging out and a wide open shirt, no bra and put on pancake makeup and heels, you're telling everyone you want to see everything.

• Showing it off = sexy... Showing it = slutty haha

• Think about it:

A slut basically trades sex for attention. So slutty means trying too hard to look sexual - as in making it impossible for anyone to overlook that your clothing is revealing.

Therefore what makes clothes slutty depends on where you are, time of day, the situation and your body type and people you hang out with. Which is why clothes that are modest in one situation would be slutty in another.

• It's hard to describe, you just know it when you see it, and it varies from guy to guy.

For me, I associate 'slutty' with vulgar, like wearing lingerie to a club. Nothing is left to the imagination. 'Sexy', on the other hand, is more subtle and sophisticated. It shows just enough to get our attention or intrigue us.

• nothing, slutty and sexy mean the same thing when you use slutty incorrectly like that. slutty is adjective refering to sexually easy girls

• Any guy got different opinion about it but it's all bullsh*t because the truth is that there's absolutely no difference between "Sexy" and "Slutty" clothes. No difference at all! None! Those two words mean exactly the same thing but they are with different.. attitudes, one with positive attitude, the other one with negative attitude.

I've said it and I keep saying that what makes a girl slutty is how she acts - not how she dresses!

• you sound sexy by the clothing. don't worry. if you were to wear like really short shorts like to wear your whole entre ass is showing that would be extremely unattractive.

• Only women use that term about other women. Men, honsestly, don't care, unless maybe it's someone close to them.

What Girls Said 5

• Ew... denim skirts...

• I think you're outfit sounds fine! I think the line is drawn when they're something showing.. like if you're ass was hanging out of your skirt, that'd be slutty. Or if you wore a tank top that is waayy to low cut, that'd be slutty. But if you're covered and comfortable, you're sexy!

• Maybe you have larger breasts/a larger butt/longer legs. Sadly, many things you wear with these features can make one appear "slutty" when someone with smaller, less prominent features would look more modest.

• I think that outfit sounds fine. What shoes were you wearing with it? If they werent 6 inches tall I don't think that would be slutty at all.

• flip flops

• omg... what is with the fashion police comments. I was not trying to look sophisticated... I was running errands and I just wanted to wear something cute, comfortable, and a little sexy.

• Flip flop aren't sexy? Maybe not to girls.lol

• I get a lot attention and I don't show my boobs or legs ...its called classy honey:)