I'm trying to decided whether or not I should get a tattoo and I'd like some outside advice?

I know a lot of people have biases when it comes to tattoos. Some love them and some hate them. I know it's hard, but could you please set your biases aside when answering this?

I like tattoos when they're meaningful, artistically well done, and appropriately sized and placed.

I've been thinking of getting this particular tattoo for six years, and while I've tweaked the design some, the meaning is the same. It's a tribute to a very important person in my life who has completely shaped me (and still continues to) and is a reminder of my highest highs, my hardest decisions, and a unique chapter of my life that has now passed.

The style of tattoo I want is one I find particularly beautiful. I researched artists who specialize in this style and found one with hundreds of fantastic reviews. I've seen her work first hand and was blown away by it. I'll have to have a consult to know for sure, but I believe she'll do it well.

The tattoo would be fairly small, about the size of a D battery, and would be in a place where I could hide it if I wanted to or expose it if I wanted to.

Here is my hesitation-- I don't like doing things I can't undo. Even if I know I want whatever it is I hate the thought of not being able to change my mind. I know I want this tattoo, but I don't like not being able to decide I don't want it any more.

Also, my skin is "clean" and I kind of have a "if it's not broke don't fix it mentality". Getting a tattoo would ruin my unmarked skin. At the same time, I don't want to ever regret not doing something I wanted out of fear.

Most Helpful Guy

• I never made up my mind on how I feel about tattoos. Some look amazing and some are just unnecessary. So you could say that I'm neutral about the topic. But, your last two paragraphs did NOT sound like a hesitation to me. They sounded like an answer to your question. Well, maybe it's just the way I read your post.

According to you, the tattoo is fairly small, therefore, I don't think it would be a burden in the future. Whenever you feel like you don't want it, you can cover it, and everyone will be happy. :-)

What Guys Said 3

• I have one on the bottom of my left foot. I take comfort in knowing it's there, yet don't run the risk of people noticing it and trying to sell me a mobile home.

• No! I AM biased...if you Absolutely Must...do it like my friend on here.. Crimson_Petal...she is going to do her wrist...ankles would be about as good as any..or backside where I would not have to view it Day After Day After Day After Day...anything between your lips and your pelvis would be...sigh...just ewww...o.O

• If I say yes, you may not want to however I could care less about tattoos. I really don't like them, personally. However, if I say no, you're more likely to get pissed because I said no. Therefore, I will just say, it's your choice

What Girls Said 3

• Once almost a year ago a tattoo artist who was completely covered in tattoos was at this annual Festival we have in my hometown and everyone was asking him basically the same question: Do he regret it?

He explained to us that when he decided to get his first tattoo he actually waited a year so he didn't feel like he was doing it because "he was wrapped up in a moment" that way he wouldn't regret it and during that year he keep the drawing of the tattoo he wanted in his wallet and looked at it several times a every single day, so at the end of the year if he was absolutely sick of looking at the drawing he wasn't going to get it. He said he gives that same advice to all his customers mostly the "first time" ones. In his opinion a lot of the time the one tattoo everyone ends up regretting is their first, because 9 times out of 10 no real thought went behind the meaning or what they wanted. Whose to say that a year from now that butterfly, that song lyric, or that Chinese writing will have he same effect on you that it did a year ago. He said always think long and hard about it and never make the decision in a moment because that moment will pass but the tattoo is permanent.

Hope that helps, it definitely helped me.

• I think you should wait for a year and see if you still want it as bad.

Tattoos are fun, but a lot of people get pointless, meaningless tattoos because they think they look cool. Then in a few years or so, the ink starts fading or they may gain some weight and the tattoo looks like a soggy newspaper and it's just awful. So, I think you should wait for a bit and if you still want it as bad later then get it! :D

• Why don't you get a henna of it first and see how you like it. Those last like 6 weeks. Then, you could get one every so often, nothing permanent.