What makes people think that size 12 is fat?

Hi! :) I'm new on this site, so here's a bit about me. I'm sixteen and curvy (in size twelve) and people call me fat! I have virtually no belly fat and I'm curvy; in other words, I'm not fat. Guys, what do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• well fat is subjective. you're either overweight or obese or underweight or normal weight. "fat" is applied to some normal weight girls by people who have an ideal that said girl doesn't fit.

12 is sometimes included in the plus size category, but usually plus size starts at 14. when 12 is included in "normal" stores, its the very last size you can get. so if that's the last size, that means you're on the brink of being too "fat" to shop in normal stores.

i think whether or not someone sees you as "fat" depends on body type, height, proportion, how your fat is distributed, etc. a size 12 person is most likely overweight. if you have a normal amount of body fat elsewhere, and you just have large hips and a big ass, I think you would have to also have more excess fat to get to a size 12. my sister is very curvy but she isn't overweight. her ass/hips are huge on her body and she's a size 6. of course how that looks will vary. a 5'3 girl who is a size 12 will look much fatter than a 5'9 girl who is a size 12.

you can't say size 12 is or isn't fat. that size looks drastically different on different people. however, I would say generally you would have to be a bit overweight to be a size 12.

What Guys Said 1

• Sounds like you have a larger frame.

What Girls Said 8

• it depends on how you carry your weight. Though to be honest, a size 12 is definitely on the larger side and I don't believe that you have no belly fat. I'm a size 2 and I have belly fat. You would have to post a picture to really tell, but once again the word curvy has nothing to do with weight. Curvy is a small waist to hip ratio.

• Size, honestly, and even weight, means nothing.

If you're taller, or just have a larger bone structure, naturally you're going to be a 'big' size.

Myself, I'm tall and have really wide hips, and I think I looked my best between size 10-12.

If you're healthy, then it really isn't anyone else's business, if they think that you're 'fat' because of a number.

• a US size 12 is pretty large, it really depends on your build, height and how you carry weight and how much muscle and fat etc.. But in my eyes a US size 12 is really big and I don't know any women of a healthy weight that wear that size.

• If you're short, a size 12 is overweight. A 14 may be the average in America, but the average female is indeed overweight and fat.

But a 12 is generally not small or thin to be honest

• People just like to throw around the word "fat". You sound like have a nice body shape & you're not overweight or plus size, so no, you're not fat.

• Sounds like you're trying to justify being a whale. Just do everyone a favor and stop eating.

• 12 is not small. everyone has some belly fat. if you are tall and larger boned you may seem average weight. I know some girls who wear a 12 are fat. it depends on your body structure though. but if your doctor thinks you need to lose weight, that's something to consider.

• You're not fat, dw!

My guess is that size 12 sounds 'fat' because 8 is average/slim/skinny, 10 is bigger than that, so 12 must be.. bigger! lol, but sizes alone are nothing, dw. :)

• Oh you're in the US, I duno then sorry, no idea what size 12 in US is. Anyway, if you've got no tummy at least you're shapely.