H&M - anyone else trying to avoid shopping there?

As much as I love fashion and shopping, I'm trying to avoid shopping at places like H&M and Forever 21. The places are stuffed with crap made in China, and everything falls apart after a few months. It's affordable and cute, I know, but I'm trying to buy more stuff that's made in the U.S. Anybody else making this same effort? If so, WHERE in the world are you shopping?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't care where clothes are made, from an ethical standpoint. Trade is good for the world.

Really cheap clothes fall apart fast. The entire point of stores like H&M is buy disposable fashionable pieces that you only want to wear this season and then toss anyway.

Unless you're rich, you probably can't afford to buy quality 'fashion' pieces that you're not going to wear for years.

What you need to do is figure out what are core, staple pieces, and pay more for better quality on them, while going cheap on stuff you're only going to wear while its 'in'.

What Guys Said 1

• I don´t shop there I usually got to Macy´s , Bloomingdale´s, Sean John

What Girls Said 7

• I'm from the UK so we have shops like New Look, Debenhams and Dorothy Perkins which are good for paying good wages to workers and have pretty good and reasonably priced clothes. I avoid H&M most the time because it's overpriced and you're right, the clothes are poorly made, brought some heels there, wore them once then they fell apart. Nowadays I do most of my shopping online from Littlewoods or eBay or go try clothes on in shops then order the same item online for a cheaper price, I love a good bargain!

• i personally have no beef with either store. I actually have pieces from both places that have held up well. I would never get "real" shoes there though. maybe flats or sandals, but not heels, etc. I hate heels, but I'd rather chalk out the money for quality so they don't break in the middle of the street and/or make me feel all wobbly. I prefer aldo, macy, madden, etc. if you get a sale price (or a discount from work like I do) life is grand. I also like this shoedazzle place online. funky stuff, one great price. no problems so far.

i also hit up thrift stores because they have stuff from all kinds of labels for 10 bucks or less for everyday t-shirts, blazers, jeans, jackets, etc..that makes me reall happy lol

• Yep - trying to do the same...really trying to purchase stuff made in the USA. It's hard (and often expensive), but it just means buying less, but paying a little more.

• I've been trying to do the same as well. I shop on Mod Cloth. Not everything is made in the US but they are upfront about where their garments come from. Their stuff ranges in price from moderate to expensive but are very well structured and long lasting.

• yea, none of the clothes there fit my taste.

everything looks too colorful and too trendy.

me no gusta.

• i love Club Monaco, I know most of the clothes there are pricy, but it's good eye candy.

I like the gap, too...i've also found great deals at tjmaxx and marshalls.

• I do because I can't really afford anything else. There are places that have more expensive clothing that's made in China too, though the materials may be of better quality. Maybe I'm lucky, but most of the stuff I've bought from H&M and Forever21 are holding up well and some of them are several years old.

• same. I mean I go in to forever 21 when I'm bored once in a while to look around, but never buy anything because it always rips! Id rather spend the few extra bucks and buy something better! I shop from nordstrom bloomingdales nieman marcus lord and taylor. they are more expensive but worth it. also lord and tailors has so much sales and nordstroms too where you can get great things for so so cheap!