Could I handle a tattoo with a low pain tolerance?

I really, really, really wanna get a tattoo on my arm, like bicep area. I know it's a pretty okay place to get tattooed, but I have a terrible pain tolerance! Is it a good idea to go through with it? This will be my first tattoo.

Most Helpful Guy

• If the tattoo is done over bone it will hurt like hell, try to go over a fleshy area. Generally it doesn't hurt unless you're freaked out about it. If you go into it thinking it'll hurt, it'll hurt. You probably shouldn't get it if your pain tolerance is low, you'll scream the whole time and you'll have to put up with it or end up with half a tattoo. Or get something small and simple as a test so even if you fight and scream during the tattooing it won't last long.

What Guys Said 4

• Please don't. As soon as I see a girl with a tatoo I have a low opinion of them. I have yet to see ANY tatoo that makes them more attractive than a pure naked body. Its like grafitti - I see it and just want to wash it off. Get a temporary tattoo instead. In 5 years you'll be glad you did.

• No offense, but you're not the only guy in the world. I'm also sure you're not the only guy who dislikes tattoos but I'm also sure there's just as many guys that like tattoos.

• Here are the stats from an article on tattoos...

While those with a tattoo may think it makes them look attractive, those without do not agree as just under half (47%) say people with tattoos are less attractive (up from 42% who felt this way in 2003) and two in five (39%) of those without one, say people with a tattoo are less sexy. Just about one-quarter of those without tattoos, say those with are less intelligent (27%) and less healthy (25%).

• Tattoos are not "graffiti." A well done tattoo is a piece of art. As an artist myself, the idea of having a beautiful piece of art on my skin is something I'd love to have and I WISH I had the amount of skill tattoo artists had. Don't group everyone with tattoos just because of the poorly done one's the girls you've seen have. By the way my man loves tattoos and has quite a few himself ;)

• it's not that bad, just imagine a vibrating knife getting dragged across your skin, but not as painful. but it feels different depending on the part of your skin, like I have a tattoo on my arm that hurt like hell on the top of it, close to my shoulder, but other parts just felt annoying. not painful, just annoying

• No tattoo would be the best idea. If not, then hopefully your first will also be your last.

• If you have a low pain tolerance probably not the best idea. Me and my Girlfriend got tattoos of each others initials, for me it only hurt a little like being grazed, but my Girlfriend did it in two goes because it was 'the most painful thing' she's ever done.

What Girls Said 3

• If you really wanted it pain wouldn't be an issue.

• Could I handle a tattoo with a low pain tolerance? Probably not. Because you have a terrible pain tolerance. Go with your gut.

• I don't know but for it didn't hurt that bad to me. It feels like a slow, steady scratch.