Is it true that attractive girls will hang out with ugly friends because they don't like competition?

I've heard people say that girls do this because they want to feel like the prettiest one there and don't want competition.

True or false?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a grown women however I can relate. Even though I am not like that now, when I was a teenager, I had all kinds of friends pretty and ugly. I never thought of myself as attractive and had very low self esteem. I was always being told by people, how pretty I was, how cute I was by guys and girls.

However one of my best friends was just beautiful. I loved her so much. However when we came across ANY guys, they swarmed around us, completely ignored me and pretty much attacked her. It didn't matter where we were it always happened.

Over time we grew apart, because I was always feeling hurt, and couldn't get a guy, to pay attention to me while she was around. It was NOT her fault and I still love her to this day. She's beautiful inside and out. however I had to go my own way, and figure myself out and fix my self esteem problem.

After we both became adults we met up and hung out for a day. We were both in shock when we say each other. I became what people keep telling me, a beautiful women, which she agreed with, and my friend had gained, a huge amount of weight and was not healthy anymore. I almost didn't recognize her. We both asked each other what happened. I told her that I got my self esteem issue in check and under control. She told me that she met the love of her life, let herself go and her mom's genes kicked in.

In the end no matter what either of us ended up, looking like, both of our self esteem was in tact and we couldn't be happier with the way things turned out.

What Girls Said 10

• I have many beautiful friends and I've learned to just accept it and to not feel threatened or jealous. I do think that's true though for many other girls as it can be a real confidence killer to be with someone who attracts all the guys but after a while you learn how to work your own magic too <3

• Ridiculous-you are gorgeous and I am sure you are the prettiest out of the bunch of your friends.

• ^_^ :) Not really but I appreciate the gesture.

• Ummmmmm...no. I usually hang out with people because I like their personality and enjoy their company. Competition doesn't factor anywhere in that.

• Awww great answer sweet lady-I hope you are doing great

• I love to hang with anyone, but I will admit sometimes having a beauty for a friend makes me very jealous!

• That defeats the object of what friendship is! I heard that too, in some cases it may be true, but friendships should be based on people that you get along with not what they look like.

• It is true a lot of girls do that, its sad. I don't though.

• Its not true for me but I guess for some girls it is

• That is true most of the time.

• Maybe but that would be because of their personality. People tend to hang out with people who look like themselves in new way or another. So friends tend to be of similar attractiveness. It's also why with girls particularly in high school the guys can date whole friendship groups.

• yup, that's how I am. And if I hang out with a girl that's as pretty as me or maybe prettier ill make sure my boyfriend or the guy I like is far far far away

• I doubt that that's actually true.

What Guys Said 1

• I think some insecure OK looking girls will do this. I think I see more ugly girls hanging out with ugly girls. I see mostly the better lookin girls hangin out together