Being in a bikini sun bathing verses fear of exposing the panty under a skirt.

I just font get it. I think I asked a similar question many months back but I never got any reply that made sense to me. This is for the girls to explain. On the one hand, you can lie on the beach or the pool side wearing the skimpiest of bikinis. But then, when you wear a skirt that is short, you do anything to avoid exposing your panties. What is this? Why?

Thank you to each and everyone of you for your comments and views.
As much as I value the views of each one of you, the most agreeable one I found was from Katy_16.

Most Helpful Girl

• personally, I don't see the big deal. underwear and bikinis are the same thing, just one is made for the water. if a guy is looking up my skirt, its prob because I want him to anyway.

What Girls Said 14

• Because when I am wearing a skirt or dress, I am usually out in public doing things that should not include me showing my undergarments. When wearing a bikini, it is on purpose and I am either at the beach, a pool, or on the river.

Our panties are personal...and the only reason you should see them is in the bedroom. It is not classy to just go lean over wearing a skirt in public for even strangers to see. They have no business seeing that view.

• Yeah, but how does that differ from a bikini? Especially if you're even wearing bikini cut style underwear

• Guys, iam not saying the style of our panties isn't the same as a bikini. Sure it is, it shows just the same amount of skin if I walked around in my bra and panties as if I walked around in a bikini. However, it isn't classy to just walk around in the mall, for example, and be flashing strangers your panties. If you want to see panties, get a girl alone and have some fun. Otherwise, if you want to see some skin and bodies...go to the beach or a pool and see girls in their bikinis.

• Haha, it's like when Donald Duck walks around with no pants on, and when he comes out the shower he wears a towel around his waist?

• Not all girls will wear bikinis for this reason. I refuse to wear a bathing suit, plain and simple. It shows too much skin. I also won't wear a short skirt, for the same reason.

• Well, when you wear clothes, it's generally to cover up what's underneath. So panties being visible defeats the purpose of your clothes. But when you wear a bikini, you're half naked by choice. And you buy bikinis with the intent of someone else seeing them, but underwear you don't expect to be on display. Get it?

• Because when you're showing off your bikini that's exactly what it is, a bikini! You're consciously showing off your legs and your stomach. If it's a short skirt on the other hand I wouldn't want someone to see my panties. I see that as trashy! I think short skirts in general are trashy. Cover up! Don't jump right to the good part! It feels good to show off my body when I'm wearing a bikini though, especially if guys look my way. It's like when you go swimming, you're supposed to show off your body. When you are out to the club you can show off your body too but don't be half naked with your panties flashing everywhere!

• I always thought that it was because undies are associated with intimacy. Not to mention that some days girls don't have the prettiest undies on, so exposure could be embarassing. I'm pretty comfortable in my undies, so it's not really a big deal for me.

• Because when you're wearing a bikini and you're swimming, tanning, or by the pool it's completely appropriate. But if you're wearing a short skirt and you're flashing your underwear it's just unclassy and some would even say slutty.

• Good question, I wear a rather small bikini at the beach and don't feel exposed but I do make sure not to over expose whith skirts, but I don't wear panties with skirts normally because I wear pantyhose a lot with heels.

• Well I don't know about other girls, but bathing suits make me a little uncomfortable because I feel like I AM exposing my underwear(and really you are. lol).

But I think the reason that it doesn't bother most girls to wear the skimpy bathing suit is because it's more socially acceptable than showing off your underwear. If you show your bathing suit no one even thinks about it. If you show your underwear then people would freak and think you were slutty.

• Both are embarassing being naked is worst

• So is it fair to assume you do not like wearing swimsuits/bikinis?

• :) in all honesty, I like you. I liked your answers.

• Thanks eventhough I only answered once and didn't get best answer O:-)

• Bikini

• My bikini (uaually) covers my whole butt. None of my underwear does...

• Well its the same with guys.Unless your saggin, is it really your intent for everyone to see your boxers?

• Bikinis are only considered okay in specific circumstances only. People don't wear bikinis to work or around town unless they are swimwear models. Bikinis or swimsuits are supposed to be comfortable for swimming but of course plenty of people wear them to the beach and pool without ever hitting the water. There is a practical reason for swimsuits.

There is no practical reason or need to expose one's crotch in a short skirt. I am not a fan of some of the crazy super short skirts that some girls wear. But regardless of a short skirt or a longer one, I would not sit in a way that would allow someone free viewing of my crotch. That is not considered desirable, it is considered skanky. Also, underwear material is flimsier and could show more than you want.

What Guys Said 5

• I suppose it has to be the mindset. The only difference between the two, the bikini and typical female underwear, is simply the places they are socially acceptable to be worn at. Pools and the beach it's fine but anywhere else wearing a bikini is taken as trashy. Because underwear is only seen as undergarments, not as swimming gear or any other purpose, to expose yourself in such a manner would be against social boundaries. While the contradiction is present, it simply lies on the mindset you're in when in such things. In the same way, a male wouldn't wear a speedo comparable to male underwear in any other place other than the beach or the pool. Personally, because of the contradiction, rather than encouraging women to run around in their underwear, I encourage modesty, perhaps wearing something less revealing to the beach or public pool.

• One difference, underwear is flimsier than bathing suit bottoms. Underwear is usually made from thin cotton material that easily moves around while bathing suit bottoms are made from thicker material that stays put. You can end up exposing more than you expect in underwear...

• Yes this is true, but it's not unheard of for someone to lose a top or even bottom in a bikini either though either.

• Lol, ever since this was brought up as a meme, I don't understand it either. It may be part of the mentality towards it. A sort of role mentality such as requiring to wear PJs when sweats do the same thing.

"There is a time and a place" is the idea.

• It's all about the venue

• I think it's got to do with class. It's just classier when a girl dresses up (skirt/dress) and doesn't show anything underneath. When you're swimming and at the beach, class sort of..goes away, it's the appropriate time to throw class out the window

• Pal I really think you are missing the point here. On a beach on a hot day most people, male and female, or at swimming baths, most will be taking most of their clothes off and exposing themselves in appropriate beach outfits, whether its bikinis or sarongs or whatever. You have to understand unless a woman goes out in public just wearing her undies, she is wearing a skirt and trying to hide her undies for a reason ie as its private. Think about it, why would a woman just open her legs and expose her panties in a skirt just because she wears a bikini in an approproate environment? Her trying to hide her panties in public where no one else is doing this is because its not an appropriate place to expose. Its kinda like a guy sticking his willy out in a pub just because he sticks it out in a urinal for a piss. Yeah you got it, there is a time and place for such acts.