How much would you pay for shoes you'll only wear once or twice?

My friend & I are going shopping tomorrow for sorority recruitment. She's going to a school in the SEC & me in the south, so it's basically cut throat ya know.

We're sticking to the basics, but as far as shoes go, we're having a hard time justifying spending around $200 for flats we may only wear once(like on Philanthropy or skit). She has a pair of Louboutins & my mom said she'd get me a pair or 2 for recruitment if I'd like. I know they're expensive, but I've come to love stilettos so I'd wear them beyond that.

Idk, we're just having a hard time justifying it. But at the same time, these shoes are "staples"

Yes, it seems ridiculous and no sororities don't judge based off of that. But when you're going to a school that has 1500+ girls going through recruitment, they find anything and everything to cut girls from lack of recs, grades, GPA to not being well presented. Bad impressions are always bad.

How much would you pay for shoes you'd only wear once or twice?

uh, OK, I want opinions from girls

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest, if you are only going to wear them once, I would only pay 2 bucks for a pair of shoes. But like you said, if these are louboutins and you are going to wear them more than once then I think it's justifiable. But make sure you do wear them more than once.

The best thing you can do is to just be nice and outgoing, even if you are not. Being friendly will leave a good impression. Tell your friend to find something in common with the girls who she is trying to impress. Make a point of talking to the girls and engaging in conversation with them. If she is memorable, her chances of being chosen are higher.

I have never been in a sorority before, but this is much like networking works in the real world. And I have landed my job through networking.

She should do her research on the sorority and the school and be ready to talk about why she is a good fit for the sorotity. They will most likely have a code of values or something that they go by. This is pretty much just like a job interview, so dress the part. Don't wear a suit, but be presentable. You don't even necessarily have to wear louboutins, but wear some shoes that look clean and nice.

She should practice how she is going to talk about herself. This is key, it's like an interview so if she can handle all of that I think regardless of shoes, she will be fine!

What Guys Said 10

• The only time I remember buying shoe that were meant to be worn once they were sandals at target meant to be worn during a white water rafting trip. I think I payed about $5 for them. =P If I'm seriously looking for shoes for something, I'm going to pick something I will wear again.

• Why are they going to be shoes you only wear once?

• The Tory Burch Reva flats are uncomfortable for me, in the back.

For her...she's going to a school with more competitive recruitment & if she gets cut and receives no invites or bid...money wasted.

The Louboutins can be reused but idk

• Not bid DAY, but preference or philanthropy rather

• Wish I could help more, I don't know women's shoe brands well. I'm pretty sure most of them are crap, sadly. Women get ripped off on clothing worse then men do.

• I'll need a 100% off coupon.

• I'm ignoring your update and getting my 3 points. :D I would spend around $5.

• Seriously $5 on shoes? LOL

• dollar store stuff right there

• lol. If I'm only going to wear them once or twice, yes. The last pair of shoes I bought cost $100 dollars and so far I have worn them for around 200 miles jogging/running and plenty more walking.

I like to get my money's worth for the shoes I purchase Ms. PoeticNinja :P

• I wouldn't buy shoes that I would only wear once or twice. That's just stupid.

• I wouldn't pay for them at all

@update, link ;D

• There are ways to get Gucci or Salvotore Ferragamo, or any high end name brand shoes that were originally 800.00 or more for less than 80.00 or even 40.00. I do believe it is a massive waste of money but to each their own.

• Zero

• lol...sorry...did not mean to be sexist or respond as the wrong gender...o.O

• 20-35

• I wouldn't pay anything for shoes that I would only wear once or twice. That's stupid. I'd rent them if I had to.

What Girls Said 15

• $20-30 dollars.

I would probably go to a store like payless, and find some shoes that look pretty well put together.

• 20-30 bucks if I know I won't wear them but a few times. But I'm cheap and I don't buy shoes that often.

I'd say f*** a sorority and do my own thing if they insisted I had to wear certain brands..

• im obsessed with shoes. particularly loboutins. if your mom agreed to buy them for you, you should be happy. if I like a pair of shoes, I don't want to think about the price. before spending a fortune though, see if you can walk on them, and if they are comfortable enough.

• I'm not a fan of flats, I'm a serious high heel girl and I have bought heels that I paid too much to only wear a few times but that's how it goes. I have couple of pair that are too high that I only wear at home and in the bedroom and I have at least 200 pairs of high heels, wedges and boots so I'm changing it up real often.

• like 40 or 50. Less if possible. I would NEVER spend over 60 on shoes I will only wear a few times. 200?! You are nuts!

• i was from a sorority in the west coast and we have a pretty crazy rush week too. I would say if possible, invest in a pair that you would use in the future and for rush. but if it's something that you might not wear in the future, I had to get a pair of pink heels that I didn't think I would wear again, I didn't spend more than $40. for a one-time use, you can just get a cheap pair but obviously make sure it doesn't look cheap.

• my mom bought me a pair of burberry flats for 250, for med school interviews. I think I've only worn them once.

• I'd pay $50-$300.. I don't look at the prices a whole lot. When buying heels I already know I won't wear them all that much.

Even though, they may not look at your shoes, who cares.. Those heels are still hot.

• Under $50

• Not that much money but I really waste money on things I end up not wearing them a lot -.- and I feel bad really.

• i did sorority recruitment last year and they don't care about your shoes. its all about GPA, looks and personality. I wore $10 shoes and still got in and I go to a university where its cut throat

• yeah, but this is southern recruitment. Southern recruitment is just about the most competitive, especially at an SEC school. She doesn't have many ties to begin with at her school so she has to do everything and anything to fit in. It seems ridiculous, but southern sororities do care

• She went to a 'tea' this weekend and basically they've already given the brands the girls should stick to. The school I'm going to, they also gave the brands. It's typical southern sorority girl wear. Lilly, Kate, Ralph, David Yurman, Calvin Klein

nothing cheap haha. I wouldn't pay for

the 'tea' wasn't dirty rushing. I don't mean to give the wrong impression

• southern sororities must pretty much want southern belles as the typical girl. rushing takes A LOT out of you. for one week straight (varies with schools)from morning until evening everyday we did something new. by the end everyone was done lol. good luck :)

• Better be made outa candy. 10bucks!

• Id say $20 then give it as a gift to a friend

• Not much. Actually I wouldn't even spend $200 on the most comfortable, stylish, and wearable shoes ever. If you can afford to throw away money like that then go for it. The justification is that you can so you will. Or what you can do is actually wear them more than originally intended. That's always a good justification.

• i highly doubt that they're going to cut you because your shoes weren't expensive enough. every single one of my friends that rushed got into a sorority (in North Carolina)

and why can't you wear some of these more than once? you don't wear flats?

the most expensive pair of shoes I've bought were $50-60. I only buy shoes that I know I'm going to wear a lot.

If I knew beforehand that I was only going to wear the shoe once I wouldn't go over $50.

• She's going to an SEC school and she's not from there. At the tea and "preview" weekend they already said the brands it's best to stick to.

I know they're uncomfortable for me because of the backs and for her, she can't justify only wearing them especially if she gets cut. The school she's going to is more competitive than mine. I think they have around 2200 girls rushing but uh, yeah. For her, I DO understand. She'll be buying thousands of dollars worth of sh*t

• well if y'all have the money to blow and its important to you, go ahead. I wish I had $200 laying around...i'd be saving that instead of spending it ha ha but that's just me.