Why do guys hate short hair on women so much?

Its very annoying I must say because not only am I bored with long hair, after awhile it gets irritating to do. I have long hair now, about down by back and its very unmanageable and flat.

I started off with medium length hair then my boyfriend wanted me to grow it out. All he cares is that its long, he doesn't care how bad it looks and how annoying it is to do. He said he'd rather me wear long hair that it flat and boring then shorter hair with body. Why do you guys give us such a hard time with the length of our hair?

Most Helpful Guy

• Cultural association with femininity.

What Guys Said 22

• lolol these poor saps and their gender roles

link feminine?

link masculine?

Everyone's allowed to have preferences but if your own partner makes you feel bad about a hairstyle that you LIKE (not to mention is much less of a hassle), that's pretty inconsiderate. I wonder how he would feel if he wanted to dress differently but you told him you'd find him much less attractive if he did.

• You're so p****-whipped it's embarassing.

• Really, treating someone you're supposed to love how you'd like to be treated is p****-whipped? I'm sure your relationships are spectacular.

• We don't hate short hair. Long hair looks better on most girls, but there are girls who look better with short hair. You just have to experiment, and find out what hair looks best on you.

• It's not the hair that makes the person. It's the person that makes the hair. Some girls look good with long hair, some look good with short hair. It all depends on the way they dress and their skeletal structures. I can try as hard as I want to pull off long hair, it just won't work for me because of my body structure. The hair length you have in your profile pic looks pretty good.

• I don't know, it's a weird cultural thing. Honestly, if people look closer they will see the feminine facial features and body (or they should). My last girlfriend had short hair and it looked incredible on her. In the end, it comes down to personal preference. I'm not closed minded enough to say a girl with short hair isn't beautiful.

• Longer hair is feminine

• Well, the obvious answer is that it doesn't look feminine but resembles a man haircut.

One of things which makes female a woman are long hair, I personally really like girls with long hair and (luckily) almost all of girls have long hair.. in comparison those girls who got short hair totally stand out among other girls.. in a bad way - they're instantly put in a category called "unattractive"

• Hmm...maybe that's a bit harsh.

• I don't think y'all should take his opinion that seriously or harshly damn

• Lol to label all women with short hair unattractive is pretty drastic though...if you don't think that this is attractive, then you're blind my friend link :-)

• depends on a girl, But I like girls with short hair,

• Because it's masculine. Longer hair is feminine, short is masculine.

• Some girls can pull it off very well, I'm not against it. As long as you can pull it off though, and not look too much like a lesbian.

• Butch=masculine. No thank you.

• Longer hair is more feminine. And I love to brush the hair off a girl with my fingers. I love to play with a girl's hair on her head, but I also love it playing with her hair on her body.

• depends on the girl, some look ugly with it others look good

• Not all guys are that way. I personally find short hair incredibly sexy. And by short hair I mean super short. Reason being, it shows off her pretty face and neck nicely. I love it when women cut their hair short, and it's not boring despite what he says, it can be really radical and wild. For example, Michaela Paige has a really sexy short hairstyle, a mohawk that looks like yummy cotton candy. However, I'm not picky about hair length. I've dated girls with long hair and short hair.

I know I'm a year late answering this, but I don't care, I felt I needed to give my two cents that short hair is a huge turn on for some guys. But, I'm a little weird because I also like it if she pairs it with guysh clothes like a flannel shirt or a dark hoodie. Androgyny is super sexy to me.

• It's not feminine

• I know some guys that have the way of thinking of your boyfriend, but there are some who don't, in who I'm included.

I prefer girls to have long hair, but I hate to watch noticeable changes in the length of their hair. My ideal girl is one I have always met with long hair and has no interest on having her hair shorter. The interest of a girl of having very long hair makes her much more attractive for me than the fact of having long hair. I would never persuade a girl to grow out her hair if it is short or medium length, I prefer her to keep always to the same length more or less. For me, the attractiveness of a girl about her hair length is given by how long is her hair the time I have seen it the shortest. I prefer girls whose hair is armpit length and I have always seen them with this length than girls whose hair is down their butt but I have ever seen them with a bob haircut.

• it looks good on some women but not on others

• lemme tell you this,one day I saw a girl who shaved all her hair,but she was still very beautiful!

• I actually like short hair for some reason.& have seen some pretty sexy women with short hair.

• I just don't find it attractive. But you can get it short if you like, no one is making you have it long

• All I gotta say is I think rihanna is a sexy ass vixen with short hair and if I could marry her I would:)

• It all depends on the girl. I normally like long hair but there was a girl in my dorm last year with short (5"?) blond hair, and damn, she was gorgeous. It didn't help that she had some of the most amazing hips I've ever seen though lol.

• It doesn't look as feminine and attractive as long or medium length hair. It makes you look boyish or a lesbian.

What Girls Said 17

• Who cares what they think. If you like short hair, you should do it.

I like having short hair. Its so easy to style. And its really cute. If I actually cared what guys liked, my hair would be very long and plain.

I don't know why men associate short hair with lesbians. I've seen so many lesbians with really long hair. Hair length doesn't determine sexual preference.

Im not a lesbian and my hair is really short. People always compliment my hair.

You should try it. If not you'll always wonder what if. :D

• Erm, I think most girls look better in long hair in general. However I have also seen girls who really pulled out well in short hair, some even better than long hair. But at the end of the day I think it's a preference thing and if you're happy with it then stay the way you are. =)

And personally, I don't really care about my partner's opinion with my hair and clothes. I used to start a fight with my ex because he hates me wearing mini skirt. Haha xP

• I think that the guys who go for girlie-girls may like longer hair, simply because it's more feminine. It's also probably a lot of fun to pull on or play with during intimate activity or other times. I really don't think guys say that just to be annoying or make things difficult for us. It's just a preference, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. Your boyfriend even said that he didn't care if you didn't style your hair when it's long, so I don't see what the problem is. I think that's a nice compromise in this case.

• Because for some of them it looks less feminine I guess.Most guys like girls with longer hair but of course too long would be a turn off.In your case your boyfriend just find you look attractive with longer hair.It can grow after few months though.Its not even permanent.

• Idk why guys are like that. It's pretty ridiculous. Not all girls look good with long hair! Short girls look awful with very long hair, and tall girls look awful with short hair. That's my opinion though. Do whatever make you happy! <3

• I use to cut my haor a lot because well I just thought hair is hair but now that I've grown up am now 19 I keep my hair grwoing its now at my back will be so happy if its at my bum! 2yrs still to wait! Then ull not ever cut it! Long hair is the beauty of a women it makes her look feminine and atractive (only if her face is beautiful too) mine like my hair long too and just loves touching it,I like to look after my hair and because its long I can make alota styles and look different it turns him on!

• I don't think they HATE it, but maybe they just are more attracted to a more "feminine" looking women. That's not to say they aren't attracted to women with short hair though! Women with short hair are still sexy lol > link

• men are mad at the fact that we look better then them with short hair.

there are plenty of girls that look great with short hair like halle berry, rihanna, keri hilson, megan good, nia long just to name a few. short hair isn't masuline. only the most beautiful girls can pull of short hair because there face have to be extra feminine. so rock your short hair girl

• but most girls don't look like any of the females you named.

• but if they have the head shape or face for it then it doesn't matter.

those women were just examples

• Just do want youwant todo. THere are plenty of women who look good with short hair. If your boyfriend hates it so much he can dump you.

• it should depend on what you like. if you like short hair on you then do it. I like my hair long becasue I feel it suits my facial structure.

• What is important here is you like it.

• do what YOU WANT and are happy with if you like your hair shorter, do it shorter

• I think it depends on the facial features. Some girls look beautiful with no matter what hair-style they have. Others look horrible with short hair. I fall in the category where I have to have long hair. I had short hair once, biggest mistake of my life. Never again.

Also it can be personal preference. I for one will never date a guy with long hair. I hate it.

• A long haired girl is more attractive for me than a short haired one and if she don't date long haired guys, she will be more attractive for me. I like the fact of having her hair much longer than mine and her proud of having her hair much longer than mine by not letting me to have long hair is a turn on for me.

• Well longer hair is just sexier and more feminine. Now I've seen girls with short hair have guys drooling over them so if you look good with your short cut that doesn't mean guys will hate you...even tho some guys do have a length fetish. like longer is better for most ppl, but then watch how many guys went nuts over rihanna when she had that short cut?

you just need to do what you wanna do and what looks good on you. guys will sweat you regardless

• It looks more feminine. Guys like the opposite of them. Most guys have short hair, so they don't want their women having short hair just like them. Plus he wants to feel like his girlfriend has beautiful long hair, something for him too play with and makes you look more girlie in his opinion.

• She said it right!

• I totally agree with you. I love the feeling of a girls hair while I surround her waist with my arms. It wouldn't be possible if she haven't so long hair I due to I have short hair and many girls don't have so long hair, being with her is one of the few chances to have this feeling.

• Not all men like long hair but it does seem most do.

Very often the men who like long hair won;t admit it but it's because in the back of their minds they're always thinking 'handlebars'. link

I don't say this in a disparaging way. Males are very presumptuous in their seeking of a mate. They think in practical terms, planning things out. Just as past generations of males used to make much of 'birthing hips' They still look for what they want sexually in a woman physically in other ways depending on what they want in bed - 'Spinners', 'Apple-bottoms' and 'Handlebars'

I am shocked at how many guys like this and how often it is used as a foregone conclusion in p*rnography. I am shocked because I did not think they thought that far ahead or specifically or so much in terms of usability.

I have written a lot that could seem extreme and offensive but, for every man that wants 'handle bars' there's a woman who wants to be used that way - NOT all women but A woman for the ONE man. The real 'opposites attract' theory - what one wants the other has and what that one wants that other has, so they make a good couple.

Another aspect:

I read many times and saw many 'science' shows ( the kind those programs show to get ratings) about attraction and apparently: we have a lot of pheromones on tops of our heads and longer hair carries them longer and the movement of our hair carries them further. Hair is used not just as a visible signal of health but as a carrier of other subtler messages-subtler than "Gee,Your Hair Smells Terrific !"

Technically, it's never been proven through scientific real-world testing that human shave specifically 'pheromones' we 'smell' other things like emotions but not in the same way we smell with our noses-smelling with our nose has to do with hairs and nerve endings and brain messages. There are actually 9 human senses- distinct systems used for us to take in information from our world in a physical way, We just focus on teaching little kids the ones they can easily experience and relate to. link

• because they find long hair more feminine