Short survey: Attractiveness?

1. Do you think you are attractive?

2. On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate yourself?

3. Are you self-conscious about anything?

4. What do you think of beauty pageants?

5. Do you think our media plays a huge role in how people (especially women) view themselves?

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Do you think you are attractive?

- I like to think that I am reasonably attractive, yes.

- 6: Slightly better than average.

- No. I know who I am, and what my strengths / weaknesses are.

- I'm not sure what the word "pageant" means, but in the "beauty pageant" context, Google offered the word "contest", so I'll base my answer on that:

- I believe that, among everything there is in this world, beauty is one of the MOST subjective and immeasurable things there is, so deciding for the "most beautiful" person / animal / entity in a given community is a hopeless task that yields horribly inaccurate results.

- That is an obvious yes. According to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, the need for "belonging" and the need for "self-esteem" come right after the fundamental needs of food, shelter and security. This means that people "need" to have a sense of belonging, and people "need" to have self-esteem. And media plays a huge role in manipulating this.

- People believe that companies supply the products that people demand. However, that is not correct. Companies first CREATE the demand for a product (through media) and THEN start selling it to earn money.

- Most of the cosmetic products ("beauty products") today were not demanded before they existed. Media played a very nice role in increasing the demand for these products. That is what advertisements are about: Increasing, or sometimes even creating, demand.

- So yes, media shapes individuals to think that they "need" certain products to be beautiful.

What Guys Said 26

• 1 - Not too sure, leaning towards yes though, I put in my work.

2 - 7

3 - Physically? No. Mentally, yes. I hate making a fool of myself.

4 - They're okay, as long as beauty doesn't get in the way of the integrity that is found within.

5 - Yes, being pretty and rich are two of society's ultimate goals. So much so that many people have thrown to the wayside what truly matters. Self-awareness, control, and integrity are the things that make a person truly mature and grow as an adult, which in turn impacts those around them in lasting ways.

• 1. yes

2. 7

3. My height. I'm only 5'4.

4. Fun to watch for the hot girls, but completely pointless.

5. Yes, and don't kid yourself, it effects boys almost just as bad. They've done studies on body image that have proven this. Men are not immune to being self-conscious and having low self esteem do to body image. Just like women feel the need to look like a victoria secret model, men feel the need to look like a calvin klein model.

• 1 - Usually, we all have our ugly days

2 - 7

3 - Not so much "self-conscious", but I tend to assume that other people find my red hair and pale skin unattractive.

4 - Shallow, conformist, and they set a bad example - unless they're kids beauty pageants, in which case they're just creepy and the parents are exploiting their own children.

5 - Of course, but the internet has just as big a role these days, if not bigger, and much more harmful.

• 1) Yes I think I'm attractive.

2) I'd give myself a 7 but if I worked at it I think I could be a 9.

3) I'm self conscious about my skin problems.. I need to take good care of my seriously dry skin

4) I don't think much of all about them actually.

5) Of course it does.. most of our perception of beauty is engineered into us through the media. Naturally I don't mean things like symmetrical features which are an evolutionary trait to detect good health.

• 1. Meh not really.

2. I don't really rate people on 1-10 so I won't myself, but I wouldn't rate it high, average I guess.

3.My lips and nose I guess.

4. Don't really think much of them

5. Play's a role that's for sure, more then likely too much of role, its more then just looks it plays a role into unfortunately.

• 1. Slightly above average, but mostly yes.

2. 7ish.

3. No.

4. Don't really pay attention to them.

5. Yes.

• 1. I think I'm just OK

2. I rate 8 just because of comments people have said

3. I'm self-conscious about just about everything lol.

4. Mess with girls personalities late on in life

5. Yes though sometimes it is used as a scapegoat and over exaggerated a tad I do still think it plays a decent role.

• 1. Not really.

2. 6.

3. My weight.

4. Pointless.

5. Varies from person to person, but on the whole, most definitely.

• I think I'm pretty attractive

I'd say around a 6 or 7 for me

I'm self conscious in awkward situations

Not a fan of beauty pageants. Every new year they find a new way to be a gigantic farce.

Media plays an enormous role in how women see themselves. You can't put the messages in your mind and just consciously turn them off when you leave.

• 1) I don't know

2) 5

3) My height and my small hands and feet

4) I think they are cool, you get to see a lot of pretty girls

5) Yes but it influences men and women equally, do you really think the media doesn't influence men equally? We are pressure all the time to get laid as much as possible, to not be virgins and to at least have a girlfriend and to be loud, aggressive and obnoxious, and also to be jacked.

• I never said it didn't affect men. That's why I said "people". But I do think it affects MORE women than men. That doesn't mean no men are affected by the media. I just definitely see more women who care what the media has to say.

• 1.- yes

2- 8

3- yes

4- In the right

5-Yes. Represent one type of female beauty that is rare. There are many different types of beauty.

• 1. Yes

2. Maybe a 7?

3. I guess so. My nose.

4. Don't really pay attention to them either.

5. Most definitely.

• yeah I think I am attractive but when I am drunk or haven't had sleep or after jogging the thing in the mirror scares the sh*t out of me.

id say about 7

yeah, I have some issues id rather not post on this site ;d

boring as f***

yes, especially p*rn movies :P

• 1. Yea, too darn attractive in fact... jk

2. A solid 8

3. Just acne

4. Their fine if your in too them, I personally wouldn't ever enter one but If I did I would obviously win.

5. Yes media brainwashes people thinking.

• 1. Yes

2. 2

3. Weight

4. Couldn't care less

5. Of course.

• 1. No

2. 5

3. Not really. I got over that. I'm ugly and I know I am so meh.

4. Stupid

5. Yes

• 1.no

2. 5, average

3. yes, height, body composition

4. stupid

5. no, the media only gives people what they want

• 1.Uh...you tell me? :D

2.Well from what I'm told by others, 7 or 8.

3.Yes, My weight or overall fitness.

4.There's no f***ing way I d ever win one haha.

5. Yes I believe it does for women more so than it does for men.

• 1- not majorly

2- 7ish

3-my thoughts emotions and mood

4-great people nothing aginst them at all interested if som of that stuff as well

5-yes there's too much pressure to be perfect when I'm my opinion being inperfect is perfect

• sure why not lol

ill pick 7

not anymore ;p

i think they are kinda stupid

maybe not a huge role but it plays a role in it

• 1)sometimes

2)5

3)I used to be fat

4)lots of pretty girls

5)50/50

• 1. Not even close

2. 7

3. My whole face

4. A looks contest

5. Yes

• 1. No

2. 5

3. height,weight,lack of muscles,personality

4. they are dumb

5. yes it does.

• 1. yes

2. 8

3. no

4. they're stupid

5. yes

• 1. Do you think you are attractive? yes

2. On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate yourself? 10

3. Are you self-conscious about anything? no

4. What do you think of beauty pageants? narcissistic

5. Do you think our media plays a huge role in how people (especially women) view themselves? yes

• 1. Slightly more than average, but not drop dead gorgeous.

2. 7

3. I'd like to have broader shoulders and penis larger than 6". I'm satisfied with what I have, but in an ideal world, I'd have more, right?

3. Not really, I have a decent body.

4. I think they are okay for adults, but can't stand these nutcase moms putting their 5 year old daughters in them.

5. Women watch too much television, spend too much time on Facebook, twitter, tumblr and all other forms of social media compared to men and just in general. The problem is self-inflicted. The media isn't going away, girls need to accept personal responsibility for their own health and well-being, not blame men/the media. 2/3rds of American women are overweight or obese. Less time on the tv/computer, more time in the gym/playing sports/eating healthy. That should help solve body issues.

What Girls Said 15

• 1. Marginally.

2. A 5, maybe a 6.

3. I have a tiny chest, so I'm a bit self-conscious about that, and I think my face shape is strange. Its too long.

4. I'm not a fan of them, but if you wanna do it then go for it.

5. Yes. The media alone basically shapes what's considered attractive, and having an impossibly idealized body type be the pillar of beauty is really harmful.

• 1. Yeah. Probably not to most people, but they don't really matter to me.

2. 10 ;D

3. I can be self-conscious about my stomach, but only when I'm naked with my boyfriend. I've been getting better, though.

4. Blah. I'm not really in favor of anything that blatantly encourages people to only see women as decorative vases.

5. Yes yes yes.

• 1. To myself? No..to some people..yes.

2. I don't like rating myself..or people with numbers..but I would say I'm slightly below average. 4

3. Yes. My sideburns...scars...nose and etc.

4. I love beauty pageants. I did them since I was 6 y.o

5. Yes.

• 1. yes

2. 7

3. Hmm one or two small things, but not much.

4. Child one's could be psychologically damaging, adult one's possibly for the vain. But I won't judge someone for joining one, it's a choice. As they say, 'if you've got it, flaunt it'.

5. I've studied this, so yes I know the media plays a huge role in how men and women view themselves. But at the same time, people are capable of breaking away from the cycle.

• 1. Meh

2. anywhere from 4-6

3. yes. my buttocks (I wish it was bigger and perkier), my boobs (it's small and they are asymmetrical), my stomach, and my face.

Basically everything excluding my hair and hands...

4. Props to those girls that qualify, they all look like sluts these days...but really, who watches beauty pageants these days?

5. Unfortunately, yes. I'm trying to wean myself off of reality T.V shows where images of

attractive women flash in front of my eyes every 5 seconds...actually most stuff on TV

makes me feel inadequate ):

• 1. Depends on the day.

2. Maybe a 7.

3. My height & my nose, my skin is not so great either.

4. Waste of money, imo.

5. YEAUP.

• 1. Do you think you are attractive?

- no

- 4-5

- mostly about my small boobs and ugly face

- never liked them and theyre pointless

- a bit

• 1) Average

2) 5

3) My legs & my breasts

4) I think they're pretty cool. I told my mom she should have put me in them lol But I'm sure I would have ended up hating them by 18

5) No. I think people in our day to day lives play a much bigger role

• 1. No.

2. A three.

3. Yes. Self conscious about everything.

4. It's nothing to special. It's kind of motivating to get me off my ass.

5. Yes.

• 1. I'm okay.

2. 7

3. I'm sort of self-concious about my legs

4. don't like them.

5. yes.

• I think I am most of the time. I can look really bad sometimes too and I hate getting carried away comparing my self the hottie girls on TV then I just feel bad.

• 1. no

2. 5 (average)

3. my fatness, my skin blemishes, my hairiness

4. yes

• 1. Not really, no.

2. 5.

3. Yes, my weight.

4. Can't stand them

5. Yes, if being overweight was considered beautiful and all of the top models and actresses were overweight, more women would want to be overweight.

• 1. Kinda

2. 7.1

3. Oh yeah

4. They're stupid

5. Yep

• 1. I'm told but, I guess, cute

2. 7? I have good days

3. I wish my tummy was flatter & I want to lose 10lbs

4 Nothing positive

5. Sure