Is straightening curly hair worth the damage?

I used to dye my hair black regularly but haven't in a year. This is my hair: link

link

link

I don't necessarily want straight hair but if I did get straight hair, it'd be nice. I'm also concerned with having to get it repeatedly done with new growth

is chemical straightening THAT damaging or is there a way to soften the blow? Is it worth it in your opinion? worth it as in time, money and effort(cause you have do touch up new growth)

chemical straightening=relaxers, brazilian blowouts or thermal straightening

Not to be rude, but I'm just asking if chemical straightening is worth the effort and possible damage. I don't want compliments or anything like that, because it's beside the point. I'm not trying to be rude either. But thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• I think hair straightening is a downward spiral... once you start again, you can almost never stop because your curls just don't look, feel, or form like they do when healthy. This makes it hard to ever want to wear it curly, so then you damage more lol. Last year I kept a journal of all the money I spent on hair products to help straighten it, it came out to 500 at the end of the year. Mind you, I only need to blow and iron it. But it was the maintenance that was just so costly.

My curls were not the same afterwards.. dry, brittle, not really curly and by no means straight (aka: hot mess).

Of three options above, I think the thermal straightening would be the better option, but any chemical altering will do major damage if you do it too often. So if you're doing it once every other month it shouldn't be too bad, but if you do it twice or three time a month, I'd advise not doing it at all!

To be honest, I think straightening hair has only ever worked to lower my self esteem and health :/ I've been wearing it curly more often and I'm feeling tons better about everything AND my hair is growing again :) and I'm saving money :p I don't think its worth the trouble much anymore.

• Congratulations! I started wearing my hair naturally curly like last year and immediately my hair became healthier. It took time to get used to, but I'm still very tempted to straighten it regularly because straight hair is lower maintenance. But I've definitely come to accept it and I know it has it's perks, but sometimes I focus more on the flaws

And at that point, my hair had lost it's natural curl pattern and the same for my friend.

• I'm the same way! I think the conclusion I've come it is that I'd rather have long, healthy hair and straighten it for special occasions, but also be able to wear it curly most of the time. It's better than having shorter, unhealthy hear I can only ever wear straight lol.

But I know exactly how you feel. its so hard x__x

What Guys Said 4

• I love both straight and curly hair on a woman. To me, there seems to be no point in damaging your hair just to get another style. Curly/straight/wavy hair is of equal attractiveness as long as it is LONG. Long hair will always trump short hair in terms of attractiveness.

• I like you hair. Not so much the face though.

• Nothing wrong with your hair now, in my opinion. As long as it looks healthy, that is.

• Dye your hair then. What should we care?

• I'm not sure why you're being so defensive when I simply asked if it's worth the effort to chemically straighten it. If you didn't care you wouldn't have answered anyhow

• I answer for the points, dollface. Not because I care. We're telling you that straight hair isn't a necessity. Doesn't that indirectly answer your question in favor of not straightening it at all? Thinking is fun!

• No, it's not worth the damage. I like a little bit of curl in a girls hair from time to time...even if I prefer it straight

What Girls Said 4

• It's not that bad if you take care of it. If you want to wear it straight often, chemically treating it is better than using heat everyday to keep natural hair straight. It's common to have healthy relaxed hair

• I had my hair chemically straightened and it's very damaging, and since my hair is so curly it only straightened it a little bit. So I would think it wouldn't straighten your hair all the way either.

• I don't think it is worth the damage. Both my sister and I had nice tight curls. ---> link naturally this was my hair her hair was little less curly. She started getting relaxers (she is older), she does not have curls anymore the chemicals changes (damages) your hair, she wants her curls back but the relaxers ruined it (she has stopped them now). She use to get them twice a year. I never got a relaxer and my hair is still like that. I only use mousse, moisturizer or nothing. I don't want to change my hair and not be able to get it back. Personally I don't think it is worth the damage, embrace the curls :)

• Not really, straightening your hair maybe once a month won't be so bad, but if you're straightening it everyday then that is a major problem. I used to straighten my hair everyday and then after a while I started to notice my hair wasn't growing anymore, so I tried to find ways to repair the damage but I ended up making it worse, so to answer the question, no.

And the more you straighten your hair the more you lose your curl pattern.

I'm kind of on the fence about relaxers because I had one for five years and then decided go natural, but I have seen women with relaxers with long HEALTHY hair.

The Brazilian blowout looks like it could be damaging to the hair since they go through the heat process twice.

I don't know a lot about but I will look it up.

• See, that's the thing with relaxers. I'm afraid to get it done, then decide to go natural and have to big chop :( or to just decide right after that I don't like it

• Idk if you want to try these but here are some other straightening methods:

link

link

And someone's opinion about the Brazilian blowout:

link

Hope it helps.