Is it wrong to get plastic surgery?

Would you (or have you) gotten plastic surgery--do you think its wrong? Why? Do you know someone who has gotten Plastic Surgery?

• Yes, I would get plastic surgery if I could
  • Yes, I have had plastic surgery
  • No, plastic surgery is wrong
  • No, I'm just fine.
  • I don't know
Majority of GAG users who answered this question believe plastic surgery is wrong. It was hard choosing the best answer, Ralph743c, Konnour, and crookthings gave great answers! Thanks to everyone!

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not wrong but I've never seen any situation where plastic surgery has made someone look better.

What Guys Said 7

• I've taken care of kids after having cleft lip surgery, so yeah, plastic surgery has its benefits. I'm sure you're talking about cosmetic, voluntary surgeries though, and not ones that actually mean something. I have a story about that also!

I have a friend that had a boob job. She was really worried about her chest and it affected her self-esteem cause she felt she looked like a boy even though I've thought about sucking face with her. It sounds trivial but it was her life and her choice and her cash and she's got a decent rack that I can stare at now. I don't think it's wrong, but I do believe you need to accept yourself, and give yourself time to accept yourself, and I don't understand the people that get the surgery and it looks so obvious they got surgery, like their faces are saran wrapped or their lips look it's suffering an allergic reaction.

• I don't think it is wrong, just a pretty strong indication of low self esteem or some other mental issue.

• Plastic Surgery is for the weakminded. Not necessarily wrong, just weak about their appearance. Now, if it's surgery like that girl who lost her ears and nose cause her family cut them off? Then ya, fine. It helps to actually have those things for a real reason. Though don't know if what she got actually works or just cosmetic.

• I do not believe it is wrong. If it is used to recover from injuries or something like that, then its fine. Any case outside of that I think it becomes an issue of being insecure and trying to fit what society thinks is beautiful.

• Plastic surgery, in some cases, seems to be a quick (more expensive) shortcut to eating a proper diet, exercise and supplementing. If a person does all that, well, then they can take advantage of quite a few antioxidants or superfoods which can help a lot with the anti-aging.

• yep, that too.

• In most of cases plastic surgery fixes flaws which only the patient was able to see but nobody else even noticed them.

• i would never get it done cause I don't see the point in doing it

• I wouldn't do it cause I don't care enough and don't want the pain. Don't think it's wrong for other people to do it if they wanna spend the money and realize the risks. More power to em.

What Girls Said 9

• I would never get plastic surgery, but I definitely don't think it's "wrong" in any way. People can do what they want with their bodies!

• i don't think its wrong but I think people have to be careful with where they go and what they get done. I think they need to think about it for a long time before going under the knife and be very sure about it. I think if they are going under because they are insecure then it isn't healthy. I don't know of anyone who has had plastic surgery and I have not myself but these are just my views.

• It's not wrong.. If I had the money I would get some things done, I wouldn't mess around with my face though, people start looking freaky when they do that... for my body I would want to try fixing things naturally (diet and exercise before doing any surgeries) , I'm not against it, I love the idea of body modifiction, it doesn't have to be up to society's standards it could be what ever you like... elf ears for example... haha:)

• I don't think it's wrong to get plastic surgery at all. I mean, you're just changing something about you that you dislike, in order to happy with it. Instead of dwelling on that part everyday.

I would get plastic surgery, yes.

No, I don't know anyone close that did.

• what if there's a lot you don't like?

• There is a lot that I don't like... I'll get them all done, not at once by any means, just certain areas that I think that will improve my appearance first.. And go from there..

• woa! do be careful, my dear!

• No, it's not wrong to get plastic surgery. It's your life and your body. Feel free to do whatever you want to make yourself happier.

• i think plastic surgery is OK as long as it is for a good reason, if you want it go ahead, but don't get it because someone wants you to. I think of plastic surgery as no different then tattoos and peircings, its art, on a living canvas

• NO as long as its not overdone or get addicted to it, personally though I wouldn't do it because I'm afraid of needles I feel sick at the sight of it hehe

• No I don't think plastic surgery is wrong. The Hollywood surgeries gone wrong gives a bad impression on what having surgery is like. If you get work done for yourself, not to please other people, or without the intention to dramatically change your lifestyle then it can be a good thing. Having gone through 3 surgeries myself, I can safely say that

1) No one has ever been able to guess that I've been worked on. I look very natural

2) The pain wasn't bad. I took my pain medications for the first surgery, and then for the other two I took medications the day of and after but that was it.

3)I'll admit that I still have a rather low self-image, but overall it has improved since before the surgeries

It's your body. No one but you can decide what to do with it, nor should they make you feel bad for altering it. As long as you do your research on your surgeon, the procedure, and how it relates to your body type you should be OK. If you want a way better detailed outlook on how to maximise surgery results and effectiveness, look up Cindy Jackson. She currently holds the worlds record for most plastic surgeries, and she isn't a freak show. She looks great and has good insight on what is aesthetically pleasing, and relating that to yourself. (assuming you're even thinking about surgery yourself of course)

• wow, interesting story. no. no plans for surgery myself. will look up cj. but, do you think the surgery you had was worth it if your self image didn't improve that much?

• It has definitely been worth it. The issues I have now are actually with aspects that I haven't messed with

• You'll start looking plastic.