If someone were to walk up to your door wearing these clothing styles, what would you think?

So I'm a salesman and I'm going to try walking around my neighborhood trying to set up appointments with people. I want to know what would be the best clothing style to wear is

1. Black buttoned down shirt, tucked in, black tie, black pants, dress shoes, and a book bag on my back

2. Blue striped buttoned down shirt, not tucked im, no tie, black slacks, dress shoes

3. Black T-shirt that says 'hawaii' on it, untucked, blue jeans, tennis shoes.

Which would you respond to more?

Most Helpful Girl

• 1) Why is he wearing so much black? jeeze he's probably here to deliver a message from God.

2) What is he selling?

3) He's here to work on mi garden yay!

oh well probably 1... because 2 I'd try so hard not to roll mi eyes and wait for you to finish up so I can say no thanks..yeah...i'm sure..okay thanks...uh huh..you too. 3) I wouldn't take you seriously. Although I do not like it when people come and try to sell things door to door. One time this guy came to mi house at night trying to convince us to let him spray the house for spiders and such...i thought he was a killer..i handed mi boyfriend (at the time) a knife and he said wtf really? I said yeah..really..what? you don't know who it could be. It could be some psycho and what if he drags you off and sh*t and I got to call the cops. I got mi baseball bat. and waited for him to open the door. "Oh, hi...*starts sales pitch* wtf?! who the hell sells things at that time of night. and it's sad..he actually went outside with him so he could show him some spider web and it took him forever. =/ well...point is damn it...number 1. seems more professional. And yeah...You didn't ask for a story =P hope you liked it though. Silly man. =P hahaha.

What Girls Said 4

• 1. I associate all black as someone in the service industry-- retail, waiter, etc-- because I work at a bar that requires all black attire. The outfit you described is how all our male bartenders dress (minus the book bag).

2. That sounds like something any of the guys at my office would wear, business casual.

3. That sounds like just some random guy off the street, your average Joe.

The second outfit is probably your best bet.

• 1 or 2, but one is overkill on the black...

Look presentable.. then its all in your eyes and facial expression...

• well what these mean to me

1) They want to sell me something or they want me to do something like sign up for insurance

2) nice businessman maybe give him a shot

3) potential break in aha because last time a guy that looked like a hippie was claiming to sell insurance but he was walking around my house and eventually I had to call the cops

• really neither because I'm not interested in door to door salesmen at all. by the way do you work for vector? that is a scam if you do...but I guess out of all the options if you had to go with choice 1

• I do work for vector. How is it a scam?

• please tell me you didn't pay $200+ for those knives! do you really think that many people are gonna want to buy knives like that?

• I didn't have to pay a thing actually. and yes I've sold over 6 grand so far, so people actually love them. you saying you don't?

What Guys Said 6

• Out of interest, does button down mean button down collar, or just 'a shirt' (which by default has buttons unless its a t-shirt).

Full black is overkill unless your appointments are with the local capo.

A blue striped shirt does not go with black. Black actually is a difficult color to work with for dress clothing. It only does VERY formal or casual well, not daytime business.

What other pants do you own?

• Don't dress in all black, do wear a tie, wear a messenger bag or a briefcase over a backpack. You want to look like a professional, so avoid casual kicks with the outfit. Tuck your shirt in.

• Overkill on the black. Are you stopping at peiples doors on the way to a funeral? Keep the tie. Go with the blue striped shirt, but find a plain tie for it. Probably blue. Get a briefcase or something, not a backpack. You want to look professional. It looks like you have a limited wardrobe. I'm under 18 and I have at least 20 ties! You might want to expand your wardrobe a tad.

• Black tie is useful for evening or black tie evening events.

OP: check out tiebar.com for ties in your (likely) price range.

• Since the way you dress has nothing to do with the product or the sale of it, I would respond to each equally based on the product for sale.

• If you are trying to set up appointments, get some references from friends. It works a lot beter.

• You don't have a white shirt or a silver tie to wear instead of all black in number 1? (White shirt + black tie + black pants would be good.)