I am 107 lbs and 5'7". I still think I need to lose weight. Is this wrong?

my body is skinny and I know that. but - my stomach is not. it protrudes from my body, I can pinch much more than an inch, when I sit down I get fat rolls, etc. I have been doing an hour on the treadmill every day along with a healthy diet where I usually eat 800 calories a day of fruits veggies and whole grain eggs and nuts etc. I'm seeing progress but so many people tell me omg! you don't need to lose weight! your bmi is underweight or whatever... I want a flat defined tummy but I always hear that first you must lose the fat because even if you do ab exercises you won't see a change because the fat is still there to cover it. anyways do you guys think what I'm doing is wrong? my goal is to get to 105 lbs and then start focusing more on weight training to build more muscle, but I first need to lose a couple more pounds of fat.

Most Helpful Guy

• As the other people have said, at this point, you need to get OUT of the mindset of losing weight, and into the mindset of doing exercies that target your abs. Losing more weight isn't going to help you, and might actually hurt you. You're doing enough aerobic excercise already, so what you need to do is add excercises to get those abs in shape.

Leg lifts and crunches are obvious choices. Another you might not know about is called "shoveling coal". Someone noticed that the guys who used to shovel coal in boilerrooms always had tight abs, because shoveling heavy coal all day really worked out their stomach muscles. The excercise is recreated by putting a weight at the end of a long pole and then moving it around like you were shoveling coal from one pile to another. One guy was using a padded sledge hammer with a longer handle; the padding makes sure you don't tear up your floor.

Anyway, ab-targeted excerise is all you need, not losing any more weight. In fact, you might GAIN weight as you improve your muscle definition, as muscle is denser than fat. That's why weight is a poor measure of fitness past a certain point.

What Guys Said 5

• You seriously don't need to lose weight. You should instead work on your abs a lot. You are starting to toe an unhealthy line if you continue to lose weight like this.

• Your body is probably too skinny to make your stomach look like it is a part of you, skinny is not good, My wife is 8 stone 5.0 tall and she has some bits of plump, and I love it, let me tell you something no man like a skinny p**** that is all boney, a bit of meat down there works wonders for men, something to get there teeth into. I mean it, we love to have a good chew, suck it in and devour your sex organ. And if you blow your load in our mouth BINGO. BUT LETS NOT FORGET, THE SOFTLY SOFTLY TOUCH LIKE AN ICE CREAM WE ARE LICKING EH, SAVOURING EVERY LAST LICK TILL YOU GRAB OUR EARS AND DRAG US UP SCREAMING OH JUST ANOTHER FEW LICKS PLEEEEEEEEAAASE PLEAAASE, I'm serious

Hope this helps.

• Yeah, what you are doing is wrong.

Crunches are probably not what you need, I think you'd like the results from transverse abdominal work more. Its more 'flattening'.

• whats transverse ab work?

• so what are some good vacuum exercises? the plank?

• No. Vacuum exercise is a type of exercise. Its generally ones where you are trying to pull your belly button close to your spine, either exhaling or after exhaling, and hold, hard as you can. Try getting on all fours, exhale, then suck your bellybutton as close to spine as you can, hold 10 seconds, repeat.

• Do sit ups don't lose weight

• 800 calories a day is NOT healthy.

You should be eating close to 2000 calories a day.

Right now, you're starving yourself. That's why you have a belly.

Have you ever seen famine victims with their bellies protruding?

Like that.

Girls, you can only blame the media for your weight issues for so long.

Sometimes you have to accept that when it comes to eating healthy, you people are just dumb.

• This answer sums it all up! Starving cannot provide a flat belly.

• Your body is fighting to the "last man" to keep the last bit of fat you have because you're starving yourself which is extremely unhealthy and can have serious consequences if done a long time. What you need to do is get your calories steadily up and forget about everything else. After that you can think about toning.

What Girls Said 8

• being so light yet on the taller side means you're definitely underweight. when your BMI gets that low, anyone's body goes into protective mode by retaining as much fat as possible, as well as retaining water, much of which will sit near the belly.

in order to get a 'flat' belly, you don't need exercises. increase your daily calorie intake to around 1500 or so and your body should get back to regulating itself more successfully, in turn giving your belly a more flattened appearance. :)

• You are anorexic. Please seek help.

• correction. doing ab excercises form abs and work off fat by toning the stomach. You don't need to lose more weight just work with what you have now and eat right. treadmills make you ton your whole body but abs are to be focused with ab workouts and dieting doesn't always do it.

During wrestling season I went from a 119 to 125 weight class because I always had to get to 125 to train other girl wrestlers to get them down to 119 with abs and a toned body for a lot of the moves we did

• You're BMI is 16.8 You are underweight. Normal weight is, at a minimum someone with a BMI of 18.5. I know BMI isn't always the best way to judge things like this, but I'd say you should actually gain a little weight. About 11 pounds you should gain. According to BMI.

• You are so skinny already that the only step you can and should take to getting the abs of your dreams is to start working them. You aren't magically going to get muscled abs. The cardio and eating plan is good. Building muscle will help you keep burning calories and keeping you toned. :) Hoped this helped

• You don't need to lose any weight.

• Lucky you. I wish I was 107 pounds.

• Transform that fat into muscle don't lose weight, but rather gain it in muscle. Use weights targeting your core, would be my advice. However, you're better off talking to a nutritionist and a trainer more specifically. Perhaps you need to change your eating habits as well.