No bikinis allowed in youth group?

So my youth group has this rule that the girls aren't allowed to wear bikinis for any water events with the youth group. However, when we hangout together outside youth group, they do wear them when we go swimming. Guys and girls, tell me why this should not be a rule for a church youth group. Or tell my there should be a rule

Most Helpful Girl

• Your youth group is religious right? For religious organizations, modesty is very important. Conservation is believed to be an attribute of a virtuous woman. I think it's a good idea really. Here's a nice quote: "Dressing immodestly is like rolling in manure. Yes, you will get attention. But mostly from pigs." This is not meant as an insulting comment, but it is definitely true. The way you dress, and how much of yourself you show will attract certain kinds of guys.

If you group is not religious, the same goes. But then again, maybe your leaders just don't want the girls to be provocative and create more members for the youth group. You guys are enough!

• +1 from me.

Modesty should go both ways though. In my beliefs, it is improper for a man to bare his chest to a woman he is not married to. It is written in the bible. It is written in the Torah. I practice Judaism. I have a keen understanding in Christianity, because I converted from Christianity. The point is, if you read my answer, Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi, and spoke of conversion to Judaism. Likewise, the laws of Judaism are to be upheld. Modesty for men and women are LAW.

• That is the issue with ordinance and law... Humans are inherently rebellious by nature. If there is one person to claim they never broken a law, You shall see a liar. However, there are laws made only to prove a point. Take the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution. You have the 13th amendment that guaranteed freedom to slaves. The 14th amendment was put in place to prove a point. Well, this law would be in place to prove a point. Equality amongst the genders. Modesty goes both ways.

• So it would be more of a declaration or an addition to an amendment than an actual law?

What Girls Said 7

• Youth group is Christian-based, and Christians tend to be pro-modesty and "cover up your sinful bodies!" and whatnot.

I don't think it should be a rule because, well, it's silly. It assumes that a girl in a bikini is inherently sexual, so it was probably developed out of fear that all of the guys would get boners :P

• WRONG! It was made to keep the people of G_D above base instincts, AND IT WAS LAW APPLIED TO BOTH SEXES EQUALLY. Europeans and their (lack of) sensibilities in the, early Euro-Christian time period (more than 1500 years ago), OVERLOOKED THE TEACHINGS OF "Jesus" and made their own rules, when "Jesus" himself said, "In no wise not one letter of the law (of Judaism) be evolved, even unto the end of time, when all is fulfilled." According to "Jesus", Christians should follow the laws of Judaism.

• No I know that's not what the scripture says, I'm saying it's what some Christians believe/misunderstand. I didn't say anything about the Bible.

• I was taking that from the direct translation. The KJV is misconceived and a bad translation of a bad translation. I mentioned "exsolved" instead of "evolved"... Considering I MISUSED THAT WORD, what was meant was "omitted". Darn ANDROID mistook my words. I use voice in order to type. I am a truck driver these days, and I can not text and drive. I use my phone to go on this site.

• When I was a teenager, I used to go to a church-based youth group. A lot of the messages we received included that we should be modest and that we should "look out for our brothers in Christ" by not causing them to sin (lust after us or be tempted by us).

That's generally the reason behind it, but that doesn't mean that everyone agrees with or follows what the church teaches.

• Not most people in my youth group follow that rule outside church. And you are not responsible for making us sin by lust. We don't always choose not to resist the temptation

• I don't disagree, but frankly, I'm glad that a lot of people don't follow everything that's written in their holy text/don't take their holy text literally.

• In Judaism not all is literal, however, LAWS ARE LITERAL. If you break a law, the punishment should be rendered. For male and female equally. For instance, It is against the LAWS of Judaism for young male and females to commingle unless they are accompanied by parents, AND THEY ARE BETROTHED. Otherwise, unmarried males and females must be segregated, unless they are blood related. Second cousins, are not viewed as blood related. (In the old days, if 2 generations separate, they could marry).

• I can see why this is a rule because they don't want any resemblance of sexuality within an activity organised by the church.

• Because anything with even the smallest hint of sexuality is frowned upon in the church, there's really no good reason though.

• There is a good reason, sexuality detracts from the true message of religious functions. In the bible, it is said that the followers of G_D should be modest, both men and women, in order to separate themselves from the sins of the world and to not abide in things that includes lust and covetous nature. It is against the commandments to covet a neighbor's possessions, including their spouse. Even if there is no spouse, there should be no covetous intent toward another person.

• Let's burn our bras and that church to show our rebellion! rawr

• "Modesty". I don't think it should be a rule because I'm sure lots of the guys may have six-packs or whatever & aren't forced to wear a shirt, & are allowed to wear speedos where girls can clearly see a bulge.

• If they follow their bible, they should know that it is immoral for a man to show more than the bottom part of his shins, more than his forearms, and above the collarbone, equally as it is for a woman. People have the wrong impression that modesty is for women alone.

• Some people are quite sensitive about being modest. I don't find any problem showing stomach, I mean it isn't like they are going topless. It's just a way to meet halfway because everyone has different views on those things, so they have to come to a "draw" of sorts to make people happy. That's how it comes across to me when ever I hear about it.

• According to church doctrine, a woman showing her stomach is just as based as showing breasts. If Christians read their bible, it is just as bad for a man to bare his chest. Biblical modesty is not just for women, it applies to men as well.

What Guys Said 4

• For that matter, if the church truly followed the bible, your groups would be segregated by gender, Neither boys or girls should wear anything that reveals above the knee, above the elbow, and below the collar bone. In Judaism, we call it Tznuit. The rules can be found in

If you understand Biblical Tznuit, you would unerstand that the rules apply TO BOTH MALES AND FEMALES. It is improper to show flesh above the knee, above the elbow and below the collarbone unless you are married to the person that sees that much of you. However, if you are in company of others of like gender, the rules are not as strict. These principles can be found in Leviticus. However, the western christian movement read it, but do not adhere to it... It is a shame, when Yeshuah (Jesus) strictly said at the beginning of the Sermon on the mount, that NOT UNTIL THE END OF TIME SHALL ONE JOT OR TITTLE IN NO WISE BE STRICKEN FROM THE LAW. Leviticus is the law. And No christian follow it.

Just some FYI...

• link

link

Read all 4 pages of this link

I believe you should read all, and draw upon your own conclusions.

• Furthermore, in order to "Follow Jesus" you must abide in his teachings, you CANNOT FOLLOW IF YOU DO NOT ABIDE IN HIS TEACHINGS. Do the correct thing, stop being indoctrinated by people, and read the bible for yourself. If anything, you will learn what it really means to "Follow Jesus." For what you know, you only follow what is told to you as a blind sheep

• link

Don't be a sheep, "follow Jesus" correctly. The average Christian follow their belief, not knowing or understanding what they believe.

I have a question for you... Do you believe in what you do because you are convinced yourself, or is it that your parents drag you to church, and it is all that you know? If. You are convinced, prove it.

• is this a serious question? bikinis are very revealing, why WOULD a church allow that?

• Because churches are stupid. That's why.

• Temptation for the boys?

• Both ways... For that matter, it is biblically forbidden for a man to bare his chest, if you actually read it in Leviticus...

• Contrary. Women are more visually sexual than you know. Ask a woman that WOULD ACTUALLY tell you the truth. Women are just coy with it, and are more secretive about it.

• A male is much more likely to act on it than a woman. Your religion sucks.