Opinions and experiences with highlights?

girls, anyone have experience with highlights? guys what do you think of them?

don't have a pic of me but I'm pretty pale, I have light eyes too. when I was young I was a medium golden blond. but my adult hair color is kind of "dishwater" as in it's not really blond anymore but it's much lighter than a normal brunette. I guess it's sort of light brown with golden remnants.

since I was a blond child and still have light eyes and skin I can probably pull it off (I notice a lot of women with light brownish blondeish hair, light eyes and light skin lighten their hair and it doesn't seem so artificial)

what do you think of highlights? I wouldn't want the stripey ones. I have seen well done highlights that really blend in and just make the hair look more blond and less dull than before.

Most Helpful Girl

• Getting something close to your childhood color will pretty much guarantee it looks good. Get foils like everyone else said. It's not cheap, but a lot of people can learn to touch it up themselves. You need to do some research online and always do some strand tests under the hair in the back to figure out what is going to work.

the best is to take some pictures from magazines to your colorist.

link

there are hundreds of these tutotials on YouTube, watch a lot of them to get more info.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 5

• I've been getting highlights every now and then for the past couple of years now, Get them done professionally at a salon and have them use the foil NOT the cap. The cap would be cheaper but it's so much more painful and the finish with foil highlights look amazing. Much less "stripey" than cap ones for sure. I went for a cap once and never did it again. I love the finish with foils much more, it looks more even and natural.

• I wish I didn't do them because the bleach ruined my hair but then again I have curly hair

• I like highlights and lowlights together

• Don't leave the bleach on too long for highlights esp if your hair is naturally dark ..to make it look less dull add highlights and lowlights

• They hurt hahaha pulling hair through that plastic cap... and then the burn of the chemicals on your scalp. Anyway, the results I wasn't happy with, I just didn't like the look, makes hair look a lot rougher and the color was too different for me (not mild enough).

I think when it's blended well it's usually because the person got lowlights and highlights and also it works better with a lighter haircolor I think because there's less contrast...