Have you ever called someone fat to their face before?

Why did you do it if so and how did they react to you?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah :T. I said that to my sister, but in my defence, she was sitting there stuffing her face with crisps, and then complaining about how wide her arms were. I got annoyed because that's what she does (did) all the time, and I kinda snapped. She was hurt, but she did something about it, and now she's a normal weight :)

What Girls Said 18

• Yes, but because I knew it was someone who doesn't consider "fat" to be an insult. And I didn't say it like an insult.

My opinion on this seems to be hard for some people to understand, but here's the basics: "fat" is only an insult if you think it is. "Fat" is only an insult if you think fat is disgusting, fat is lazy, fat is terrible, etc. I'm fat. I love my body no matter what size it is. If my boyfriend (who knows how I feel about the matter) used "fat" to describe me, my stomach, etc., I wouldn't have any negative feelings.

• I call myself fat an I'll tell my cat she's fat, but that's it. Sometimes I will say it in jest to my really skinny friends. If they're standing in my way I'll say "OMG, stop being so fat and taking up the whole hallway!" but in a VERY obviously joking manner.

• My old roommate- however she was ridiculously skinny so it wasn't taken seriously. I got made fun of a lot for being fat in middle school so I don't think I could cold-heartedly say that to an actual fat persons face.

• No and for obvious reasons.

• Yes but completely by accident. In high school I was at lunch sitting at a table and me and two guys we were discussing this tugawar mud fight we were gonna have and one of the guys was saying his side would win and we were naming the good people we had on our teams. An I said "well you have that fat guy Alex!" And one of the guys was like "dude Alex is right there." and with my heart beating fast and I turned to see Alex sittig at the same table a few people down. He said it was fine but he looked almost as embarrassed as I was. I still feel bad today.

• Yes, I've called my sister fat in arguments. It's just a way to hurt her and she knows exactly what to say to hurt me. Gotta love sibling rivalry

• Yeah, my friends. I tell them all the time. They are fat so I usually tell them in order to motivate them. They always be complaining anyways.

• no but, I've called a fat person skinny to their face, is that just as bad...they reacted as they would have if I had called them fat, with a raised eyebrow and a sarcastic smirk.

• no, but at work one of my supervisors(really short, and super skinny, and looks like a kid from behind), calls one of my coworkers fat to her face, but they are cool with each other, its kind of funny though.

• I asked a girl if this other girl was pregnant and the girl who I asked apparently went to the girl I thought was pregnant and told her that I had asked that (such a bitch) ... She wasn't pregnant.. but now I feel like a bitch because I practically did call her fat but I didn't wanna be mean about it.. she wasn't even fat, just a little chubby. I felt bad.

• yes I have to a girl. she felt hurt and walked away...

i was joking but she got serious... :(

• yep

they kept calling me anorexic and they called a friend of my fat even though she was smaller then her, so I called her fat and she cried

• No since I'm not skinny myself either.

• no because I have been called that before and its not a great feeling so I respect people of all weights

• i don't call people fat but like if I am describing someone that is overweight I say she/he is over weight or chunky but he/she still looks beautiful

unfortunately I am always telling myself I am fat and my brother pokes my belly and says here is the cream filling and my mom is always saying you need to loose weight (which I am trying very hard but my mom keeps buying junk food and won't give me a lift to the gym but I still try to run etc but its boring for me so I lose interest but at the gym seeing all the people working out gives me motivation) but anyways and of course the mean girls in school say it behind my back thinking I can't hear and boys sometimes stare but I am not that overweight I am 5'4" 17 years old and I am 159lbs and still loosing some pounds but slowly

• Yes, unfortunately I was a really rude when I was a kid. If I thought you were fat I would tell it to your face. I'm surprised no one slapped the sh*t out of me because if some kid was to tell me something that offensive right now I would be really upset.

• Lol I've called myself but not anyone else

• In general no, even if I get insulted by them I haven't flung one back at them.

Although my mum did ask me if she was fat... I had to tell her the truth. I said "yeah..." she was hurt.

• That sucks. well at least you know the dilemma us guys feel when girls ask us that.

• hahaha, it's easier to say it to your mum though because you know her lifestyle, and I knew she was asking for it. :P

Other girls I'd have a major problem, I'm pretty sure I just ended up lying saying "you're not fat!"... haha... sigh

What Guys Said 12

• As a little kid (10-13) I teased a few girls about their weight. They weren't actually fat so maybe on some level I didn't think it would be a big deal to them, but it turned out that it really did effect them and eventually two of them broke down and cried. After that I realized the power of words and that I should stop doing it.

• No I haven't. I don't like it if a person calls me ugly. That person may act like it didn't bother them but I guarantee you their going to feel like crap for the next day or two until they get over it.

• yes. my ex girlfriend. she gained like 8 pounds.

she cried and ended up in a hospital because of starvation.

• only friends, I tell them that all the time

• yes, and that person was OK with it because he has known me for a very long time and claims he's heard other people say he's fat, and he doesn't care about it.

• Only if they asked.

• My room-mate, but we're cool like that lol.

He knows it too.

• Yeah.

• Yeah I have, it was when I was a lot younger.

• no I havent

• Only once, but I can't really blame myself for it 'cause I was like 5 at the time, I didn't really know any better.

Anyway, me, my dad, and my brother were eating at a Wendy's, and there was this really obese guy sitting at the table across from us. For some reason I just blatantly pointed directly at him and said "He's fat." really loudly. My dad was so embarrassed.

• Yep. link