Do you believe with enough work, any plain looking person can become attractive?

Hey guys, I see a lot of people complaining on here about their looks and I've always kind of battled with the question myself.

So, let's say you were born as plain as day, not good looking or bad looking, you couldn't stand out if your life depended on it.

Do you think if this person began working out, suited themselves up to a style that fit them, and refined their personality a bit, they would begin to start turning heads?

Do you think this could theoretically apply to all plain people? Has anyone ever had an experience with this, whether it was yourself or a friend?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think if the person suffers from "ugly duckling syndrome," then that means they do have potential to be more attractive. Typically it involves small changes to the face and body that make the biggest difference and when those changes all come together, it's a huge difference.

For instance, ugly ducklings tend to be overweight as children but when they get in high school or college, they begin working out and eating healthier. Their body shape may be accentuated and their faces become more structured once the baby fat is lost.

Getting eyebrows shaped and threaded/waxed can really re-shape a persons face, believe it or not. If done properly, it can bring out the facial structure in a flattering light.

A nose job can also re-shape a persons face and make their jaw appear smaller and their cheekbones more prominent.

Braces straighten the teeth and if rubber bands are used, the jaw is actually shifted, so they may go from having a jaw that sticks out, to a jaw that fits their face better.

Going from glasses to contacts can be a biggie.

Getting a hair cut that suits their facial structure and hair color that fits their skin tone is another biggie

Learning to apply makeup

Going to the dermatologist

You'll find these are common things that ugly ducklings do. But, being plain doesn't necessarily mean someone is or was an ugly duckling

Do I believe ANY plain looking person can become attractive? No. There are just some men and women who are average and no matter the amount of makeup, working out, supplements, weight loss, surgery they'll always remain plain.

There's nothing wrong with that, but some people just don't have an "it" factor to them.

What Girls Said 12

• Yes I think so. Many things can really make a positive difference appearance wise. Getting the right haircut and hair color, changing your style to suit your figure, working out, improving your skin, and just in general taking measures can make a change. I've definitely seen this in some peoples lives that I know. A guy friend of mine used to be overweight, he still is chubby but he lost weight and looks tons better! Even I sometimes think I'm attracted to him. Other guy friends of mine as well, it's like one day I see them and they seem okay but then after not seeing them for months they changed their styles or haircuts and then they look completely different and much more attractive. Simple things can make the worlds difference.

• Yes. I believe that anyone can be whoever they want to be as long as they dont' try to be something they are not.

I helped a friend of mine through this stage. She is a bigger girl, but very attractive. She had an okay personality, and I got her come out of her shell a little bit. She stared to put on some makeup, but onlycolors she wanted, and did her hair in styles, that suited her face, but ones she would be okay with replicating. And the biggest transition, was when we went to deb and she put on this gorgeous purple gown. and I My mouth dropped. She had gone from utterly unnoticable, to stopping the whole room. If she keeps it up, I know she can shine.

If you REALLY put your mind to it, everyone can shine.

• Hair style body and personality can change but face nope... Unless they wanna go under the knife which I do not recommend.. If someone is born with ugly features no matter what he/she does they will never be beautiful ... They could be normal if they work on themselves but pretty, never. ...Some people do have ugly faces and its such a shame because everything else can change but the face is what makes you You.

• "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I think that what is plain to one person can indeed be beautiful to another person. That having been said, I think that it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you are comfortable with yourself and how you feel you look. If you're not happy with the way you look then yes, I do believe that it is possible to improve.

That having been said, "beautiful" people can be ugly too and not have it to be anything wrong with the way they look. Someone who is physically appealing may be ugly or plain when it comes to their personality.

• I believe so. But remember, personality is key.

If someone is drop dead gorgous with a crappy personality, they're not going to attract that many people. But id someone is plain, as you say, with an awsome personality, they're going to atrract a lot of people for sure.

Anyway, let's set aside personality since your question is focused on working on your looks. I believe if someone starts a plan to work out, suit themselves with a style, and refine their personality, they would certainly begin to start turning heads. Maybe not as many head turns as "super attractive" people are capable of, but still.

• Yes, I am an average looking gal. I never used my look to get ahead. However, I carry myself with confidence (my hubby thinks a bit much lol). Dress professionally and for proper occasion. I have gotten attention from men that I never though would. With confidence, its a start and go from there. Also doesn't mean that you speak w/o anything to back yourself up, then you would sound like a fool.

In addition, with that I have been giving respect and opportunities. In return, you also have to earn your respect from the opportunities giving to you.

Add me if you wish to understand further.

• yes I firmly believe in this.

• Beauty can you so far. You may look attractive but you may not be attractive. This person needs confidence, confidence in themselves and be able to be happy and positive towards others. That's attractive to me. Looks fade and will be forgotten once you get to know a person.

• yeah, look at Hilary Clinton! Using your head to what you like in life, does that. Not to say that you get better looking women, because you make yourself a success. Everyone should hold themselfs in high regards.

• Yeah I think so , I mean hit the gym and you can the body of your dreams but ofcourse with lots of work .

So even if someone has a not so attractive face , they can still make up for it with a great body .

And girls can use makeup and also style their hair

• No, not as attractive. Unless, they were already attractive to begin with.

• :(, genetics is a bitch no?

• It is, indeed. I have tried everything I could to look at least average at best. For some people, cosmetic surgery is the way.

• Some faces just do not work. Everything else is good to go though.

What Guys Said 5

• Sort of.

You can boost your appearance some.

There's a secondary phenomenon where as you get older, most people let their appearance slide. When you're young, people with good bodies are really common, so the 'good looking' ones have genetic good looks and good bodies and are youthful. You can't overcome that.

But as you get older, most people get fat and dress like slobs. So if you are in good shape and dress well, you can become quite a bit 'above average' looking relative to most people your age, even if your natural looks are very average.

• YES! I truly believe this.

The answers from everyone kinda took my answer, but yes; a good.change in wardrobe, physique, and primping can definitely make a guy get better looking. 8-)

• Dude don't you women are only attracted to three things? money, good looking guys and shiny things.

• ...meh, all I had to do was grow my hair out.

• its definitely possible.