Why are some guys (and girls) so obsessed with their abs?

I understand the obsession with being healthy...but some people are literally obsessed with that bodypart. Some people literally bring up "my abs" whenever they eat, drink, wear something, etc, to the point of annoyance.

Why do some people do this so much?

Most Helpful Girl

• well, I obsess with my abs because abs mean you have a strong core. And with a strong core comes a strong runner. And I need to be a strong runner to stay in college since I'm on scholarship. So that's why I have to obsess.

What Girls Said 4

• rofl I know what you mean. "my abs this my abs that" cracks me up.

• Guys are more obsessed with their abs, I don't know why.

• Our abs are more sensitive to temporary changes due to what we eat than other body part. It's not like my butt is going to suddenly bulge because I ate something that gave me gas.

However, I mostly hear people talk about their stomach not their abs and I don't even hear people talk about their stomach that much. They may think about it but I haven't heard many public comments.

• I don't know... for a guy I guess because its something thought to be really attractive by majority of people like many men like bigger breasts. I don't know about women... I personally don't ever want those bulky muscle abs lol just a flat stomach.

What Guys Said 11

• Having abs is a sign of fitness level at its peak. The only types of abs that are considered naturally healthy are the ones you will see on south American and some south african tribes.

If you put one of these gym rats in the wilderness, I bet you they would not last a week.

• Because its become the predominant image of what attractive male physique is.

Its not, actually, healthy, though its healthier then being obese. But probably a 10-12% body fat is healthier.

Go look at pictures of guys girls here post as to what they find hot. Some like skinny, some like huge muscles, but almost all of them post guys in single digit body fat.

Ironically, half of them aspire to be as thin, and half think women that thin are anorexic.

• lol I feel you, bro. I swear sometimes guys are more obsessed with it than girls. I actually think girls prefer a hot face than 6 pack abs but that's just me

• Strength comes from the core, its the centre for balance and for most sports its an assest to have. It shouldn't be something most people should obsess about but it is an advantage to have from simply a physical stand point

• abs are cosmetic muscles. They are important, but having a six pack isn't important if you can't even lift 200 lbs.

Truth is, most guys with a 6 pack, weigh like 140 lbs, so they didn't even have to work to get it. The only thing big abs well help you do is keep you back strong while squating with heavy weight, so they aren't something to concentrate too much on

• But squatting heavy = godliness.

Visible abs aren't necessary for that though, agreed ;)

• Actually, I'm 16 and can already squat over 300 lbs. I don't have a six pack, your abs can be strong but not show. a 6 pack isn't made by situps, crunches, etc. its made by your diet and body size. a 5'8" 155 lb male can easily get a 6 pack compared to a 6'3" 230 lb male.

• To get actual abs requires a very low body fat that takes a lot of work and discipline. So it's quite an achievement, as far as working out goes.

• Because that's the sh*t women love, if not the biceps.

• i prefer having smaller and more toned abs than not. more toned helps out in sports while less fat means more ups. Also it looks damn good. But that doesn't mean I don't eat things I enjoy.

• cause I have an 8 pack and you don't :P

• I guess its an actual notification that shows we're healthy and you're doing something right.

even though a person with abs might be healthy at all lol

It's like a girl who squirts.

If she squirts, you know you're doing something right

• they just look so darn good :\