So curves = fat? is that right?

When girls say they have curves, is that a fancy term of saying she has fat?

Most Helpful Girl

• depends. you may actually think some girls look fat and other people may just describe them as curvy.

curvy to me is the shape of your body, part natural distribution of fat and part bone structure. a fat person has a natural body shape, even if theyre actually obese. you can be obese and curvy, however many people are just obese. you can't really make that call until they lose weight though and you actually see whether or not they have natural curves or not. I've seen some girls loose a lot of weight and they have no curves at all when they get to healthy weight - or very small curves.

curves means different things to different people. some people I think are curvy, others will see them as fat. fat isn't a legitimate term. everyone has fat on their bodies. fat is just a word that people use when someone is too big for their taste of whatever "normal" or attractive is, and that isn't always necessarily a medical issue. not all people who you think are fat are unhealthy or actually excessively overweight or obese. they usually arent. all the people who are, are obviously "fat."

generally its some degree of lower body curves of the butt and hip-waist ratio. some have smaller limits than others. some people think kim kardashian isn't just curvy but fat, even though she is no where near medically overweight or obese. some people consider very skinny women with narrow shapes to still have curves, while others won't see them as curvy.

its pointless to dwell on this. it is a relatively basic concept - wider hips, rounder butts, bigger boobs - but some people have limits to where they think curvy ends and fat begins. others don't think there is a line, like me - body shape and being obese or overweight are two different things.

who gives a f*** though, in reality? you like what you like and that's the end of it.

• ew, typos. :/

also I think culture plays a huge role in what people perceive to be curvy or fat, attractive or unattractive.

What Girls Said 17

• When I use the word curvy, I mean a girl who is small up top, with wide hips (a pear shape girl).

However, a lot of girls nowadays are very overweigt (with no shape), but they don't like to call themselves "fat". They use the word curvy in order to make themselves feel good because fat is more of an insult. While curvy means you have a nice shape or a full figure.

• When I think pear shape that's what I think of curvy.. No shape is just blah...

• I don't think this is the case for everyone as we all have our own idea of skinny and fat. Someone fat to someone might not be fat to another person.

So when someone uses the word "curvy" its not the same for everyone in my opinion. A plus sized woman could call herself curvy while a woman who just has an hourglass shape could call herself curvy too.

• No, you can have curves at any size, because it's about your boob-waist-hip ratio.

• When I use the term curvy, I mean that I have some natural contour to my body shape. My hips go out farther than my waist.

• Girls mean one thing(that's why Skinny vs. curvy Qs are so common) whereas guys mean another

But no, curvy is body shape, regardless of size or weight

• I agree with this! Waist-to-hip ratio and whatnot.

• Yes! Christina Hendricks is overweight and she's an hourglass when wearing spanx. Jessica Alba is a slim hourglass

You can be of any weight, height or race and have an hourglass or pear shaped body

• No. You can be thin and curvy as well.

• Some girls who are over weight say that it is "curve" Or you can have curves and not be over weight. lol

• Yup. It's like saying "She has a great personality!"

That means she's ugly as sin.

• No, it means they aren't built like a twig or a bean pole.

• every female has curves of some sort.

• No, its a thing fat/bigger girls say like "I'm not fat I'm big boned' but without being real they're fat. But curves are something humans just have, but when a girl is curvy(in a sexy way) it like beyonce, shakira, ect.

• This is what my body shape looks like. I don't normally wear skinny jeans, but I wanted to see how they looked. Probs won't be wearing 'em much, haha. Other clothes are much more flattering for my figure, so it's fine.

link

I've got extra weight on me, but besides having a decent amount of muscle on me from playing soccer all my life, I do have a distinct shape, as opposed to just... a blob :-/

Definitely pear shaped. I would probably say thick pear shaped. You can see that both my waist and my bust are narrower than my hips.

I dunno, I don't think I look that bad. I would say thick curvy. Is there anything wrong with that?

• you have a nice figure SHOW IT OFF GIRL

• Thank you! Haha, I'm definitely getting better at appreciating it :-)

• Depends who you ask. To me curvy means body shape, for example Scarlette Johansson to others it's a nice way of saying over weight.

• It means you have huge boobs, a skinny stomach, and a nice butt.

• Yeah kind of an excuse lol

• Lol - depends on her profile picture.

Though a lot of heavier set women do use that to downplay them being overweight - or maybe she is a curvacious bomb shell with meat in all the right places?

It's a gamble really.

• No, just in some cases. I have curves, but that's just because I'm hourglass shaped and have boobs, hips, and an ass– not because I'm fat.

What Guys Said 10

• ( . Y . )

...) . (

.(...Y. ) <--------------- That's curves my man

• Not really the same thing, but it often gets used that way. Curvy actually means large breasts and butt with a trim waist.

• No, and the same can be said of guys when they say a girl has curves. There is a difference between being thick and fat. Thick girls have almost exaggerated looking assets (breasts, hips, bum, thighs), where girls who are fat tend to be more rounded like an apple instead of an hourglass.

• No, I wouldn't say Kim Kardashian, Mariah Carey, and Beyonce are fat. Well MAYBE Mariah does have a bit of fat now and days but I'd still take a shot at her.

• Depends on what you define as fat

• No. It just means she doesn't look like a 12 year old boy.

• it depends on the girl sometimes it def does other times it doesn't. it means there is some somewhere tho which isn't always bad...

this made me laugh when I read it so thanks for asking it

• no fat rolls means you fat curves is the way you supposed to look.

• yea. "Real women have curve's" Is just an excuse for them to indulge in that extra cheeseburger and feel better about themselves in my opinion.

• When a girl says that and I can't see her, I assume she is. "Curvy" has been hijacked.