Will previous hair dye affect new dye?

Okay, so a little while ago I died my hair auburn brown and it came out nice , but I am dying it again and would like to go a little lighter. So my question is , will the auburn brown dye that's still in my hair alter the color of the new auburn dye or is it all based on my natural color.

Thanks in advance !

the color I used first on my thick medium brown hair was revlon colorsilk in auburn brown and I want to now try revlon colorsilk in medium auburn

Most Helpful Girl

• i think remaining hair dye does affect a new color over it. I had bleached my hair and then I tried to dye it back to my normal color, the dye was actually darker than my natural hair, but because the bleach was under it it faded very fast to this coppery color

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 7

• I would definitely check their help line, I've had a couple box dye disasters before. They're super helpful and you don't have to hold long, the number should be on the box somewhere. Good luck! :)

• Ya its easier to dye it lighter but to go darker maybe be a weird color so use semi permant instead..revlon doesn't lighten the hair as much as the box says so good luck

• I'm not sure what type of hair texture you have nor do I know what brand of dye your using. I went from copper red to honey blond this summer and it took me 3 times to get it the color I wanted it. Some people have to strip the dark color depending on how light they want to go.

• Yes, it definitely will! If you want the new hair color to turn out just like it would on your natural hair or even just as close to the model on the box you're better off getting it done professionally.

• which color do you want now? cause the red on auburn will be hard to get rid off, I would suggest that you bleach it and wait a week or two and then put in the color you want

• Ya going lighter in the same shade would not be a random weird color

• Ya it can cause a chemical reaction my friend tried to dye her hair back to black from brown and it turned red