Why is it that natural blondes are perceived as innocent and dark haired girls are more "bad girl"?

in almost every movie the bad girl has darker hair and the good/boring one is blond. why is that?

do you subconsciously believe that too? I have a friend who has dark hair and its true she looks always "sexy / bad" never cute. and she says I could wear the skimpiest clothes in the world and would still be innocent and cute! I thought about this for a while and noticed that actually most good girls in my circle of friends are blond, and the slutty ones all have dark hair lol may be a coincidence though!

Most Helpful Guy

• The movie question is simple. It's the same as the old black hat / white hat trick used in old westerns. The white hats were generally the heroes, and the black hats were villains. The reason for this was because the white clothes sorta shined and radiated light. It made the hero look all just and pure, and virtuous. Whereas all the black makes the wearer seem shadowy and dark. It's meant to give the impression that this person is mysterious, and perhaps even sinister. This also works with blondes and brunettes. Blond hair can shine and sheen and all the light coming off the light colored hair does what the white hats did. As for your friends, I assume it's either coincidence, or subconscious seeping in what film has been feeding us. There's no good answer for that.

What Guys Said 4

• This could explain why I prefer brunettes - I've been brainwashed.

To my great disappointment, they're not all sluts :(

• to be honest, I feel it's the other way

around, because I see more dark haired

people dyeing their hair blond, but a person shouldn't

really be judged solely on the color of their hair.. right? ^-^

• i meant the natural hair color, but yea I agree it shouldn't be htat important. its just that the "myth" seems to have some truth in my experience

• Hair color has nothing to do with it. It must be a coincidence. That or you're subconsciously labeling your friends because movies and media you see portrays girls in that light and therefore you see your friends that way.

• Mary Jane is redheaded

What Girls Said 8

• No not true.

I watched some movies where the main kind good actress has a dark hair.

And the evil actress has a lighter hair color lol.

I don't agree with you.. not a general rule.

Because the opposite is true too. ^_^

• This just goes to show how many people let the media think for them.

• Really? I always thought it was the opposite

• Wow so that's why I get more cat calls

• i know plenty of innocent brunettes and not innocent blondes

• Coincidence I think or the blondies are good at hiding thengs

• Many people have this perception even though they will deny it.

Same goes for skin color too. Pale is pure and innocent while tan and dark is more viewed as more likely to be slutty

Black and dark is associated with almost all negative things and white associated with almost all positive things.

• Don't feel too bad over it, I'd take the "bad girl" over the "stupid & easy girl" assumption blondies get in a heart beat.