Have you ever seen a M.D with dreads?

Im asking this because I have dreads, I usually keep them neat and they aren't fat ones but the width of a pencil and I'm applying to medical school soon...

reason for having them: my sister grew them for me and eventually passed away so they're like a memorial type of hairstyle in remembrance of her.

what do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest I think it depends on where you will be attending and the demographic. I know that sounds shallow and superficial. I think in more liberal areas it would be OK, but more conservative areas might have an issue. It would also depend on the field. For instance ER doctors, I don't think most people would mind they are in need of urgent care. Some positions you might not be taken seriously. Personally I think that's awesome and would keep them. That's just my opinion though.

What Girls Said 2

• first I think that it is really cool that you're keeping them for your sister (r.i.p.) :) I do think it does have to do with the demographic of wherever it is you are applying, I would have no problems with it, in fact I would respect the doctor/medical staff all the more, because I would see it as an outward/subtle way of rebelling against the typical clean cut, clean shaven persona the most medical personnel have... hope that helps :)

• It sure does..thank you :)

• I wouldn't think twice if my doctor had dreads.

What Guys Said 2

• No never seen one with dreadlocks. I suspect many of the older patients would object! And you need to have rapport with your patients--you don't want them laughing at you all the time.

• I don't understand why they would laugh. Its a natural hairstyle especially for black people...

• Never seen one African person with dreads. It's a US invention like saying mf all the time.

• Too many M.D.'s. I lost track a long time ago. I have a black book for friends and one for doctors. I think that one speaks for itself.