What makeup should I start off with?

I need some type of starter kit list of makeup (preferably cheap because I am a college student with very little money). I've never bought any type of makeup other than lip gloss. I tried going to the cosmetic section at the drug store and just pick out whatever I thought was pretty but I felt lost and ended up not getting anything.

I'm really interested in wearing makeup because I would like to look prettier and more like my age. I also have dark eye circles which I really hate and want to conceal. Do I need to get those makeup brushes too?

Most Helpful Girl

• Hey, I'm a college student who doesn't have heaps of money to spend on cosmetics either. That stuff is EXPENSIVE!

The absolute best time of year to buy makeup is black friday. You can go to those little drugstores (CVS etc.) and they are usually virtually empty, unlike the mall. They also have great sales (example: buy one get one free all revlon products). So that saves you half the cost, which can really add up. If you don't want to wait that long, get a few cheaper staples to tide you over.

As for WHAT you should buy, here's what most people wear:

For skin:

1. Foundation (definitely the most important one if you want your skin to look better!)

2. undereye concealer (for dark circles)

3. blusher

For eyes:

1. A decent mascara (look at the applicator before you buy it--make sure the bristles are fine and close together, like you would want your lashes to look.)

2. Eye shadow (more on colors later, you may also want to buy a base to make it stay on better and last longer)

3. eyeliner (avoid liquid eyeliners, go for crayons or good quality pencils).

For lips:

1. Lip gloss (be wary of cheap lip gloss; it will run down your chin and give you the "drooling" look--not attractive!)

2. Lipstick (tends to look more mature, but be careful about the colors).

COLORING:

possibly the most important one!

1. Choose a foundation that is if anything slightly lighter than your skin tone. I have a very difficult time buying the palest foundation in the store because of my coloring lol! If it's darker, it will look like you're wearing a mask.

2. If your skin has blue undertones (usually only caucasian women) then you will want to wear pink-ish blush tones. If it has yellow undertones (other ethnicities and some caucasian women) then you'll need brown-ish tones. Don't go too much darker than your skin tone, either way.

3. Eye makeup...keep in mind the rest of your coloring. if you have blonde hair and blue eyes, jet black mascara and eyeliner probably won't look that great on you. Generally speaking, only go one or two shades darker than the "average" of your hair and eyes.

for brown eyes: browns, golds, greens, beiges, purples, and greys

for green or hazel eyes: greens, golds, beiges, khaki

for blue or grey eyes: blues, silvers, cream, pinks, greys

As far as lipstick goes, look honestly at the natural color of your lips. You can go one shade darker or one shade lighter, but be very careful when going outside that. (bright red lipstick looks good on SOME people, but not others. Also keep in mind the color of your eyeshadow and blush and choosoe something that is harmonious with it.

Yes, I know wayyyy more about makeup than I should. My aunt is a makeup artist/saleswoman. I know that sounds like a lot of different stuff, but keep in mind that less IS more. tasteful, lightly applied makeup is much better than just globbing it on. You want to look like the same person with your makeup on as without lol.

• My answer was too long, so here's an add-on. keep in mind your skin type when choosing a foundation! Mineral makeup is REALLY worth the few extra bucks. it's better for your skin, looks better when you're wearing it, (love to look like you're not wearing any!) and it also blends better.

Hope this was helpful!

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 12

• if you want to look natural and pretty (which sounds like it would be your goal if you don't wear much makeup), I would keep it really simple. you don't need brushes unless you want them...your fingertips work fine, just make sure you wash your hands well before.

get a CONCEALER for undereye circles and imperfections. as far as drugstore brands go, I would get either covergirl trublend (lots of colors) or if you have a target nearby, sonia kashiuk has a great concealer quad. for undereye concealing, use your ring finger instead of another finger because the pressure is lighter and it won't break any capillaries.

if you want to stay looking natural (which is always the goal...you shouldn't look like a cakeface), on top of the concealer you'll want either a tinted moisturizer (if you have dry-normal skin...neutrogena makes good ones, or you can mix any foundation with facial moisturizer in a pinch) or a light mineral powder (if your skin is normal-oily...again, neutrogenas are cheap and gentle on your skin). a couple imperfections showing through is better than looking like you painted your face on...so keep your foundation sheer.

the only cheek color I would use as a beginner to makeup and someone wanting to look warmed and natural would be a bronzer. you can get very cheap ones by NYC (they look all mosaic and funky) that aren't bad at all...you'll need some kind of fluffy blush brush for this.

as far as your eyes go...keep eyeshadow out except for special occasions, for which you can use any color that you think is pretty, if it's a darker color, only put it on the outer corners and 1/3 of the crease of your eye. for everyday, find a smooth pencil eyeliner in dark brown (if you are blonde) or black (if you have darker hair). rimmels are great, very creamy. start at the inner corner of your upper lashline (VERY close to the lashes...almost in your eye) and make an extremely fine line across the whole upper lashline, then build the line wider towards the outer corner (to make your eyes look wider and your lashes look thicker). you can line your lower waterline if you want, but it really looks pretty to leave the top only lined. you can either smudge this line with a qtip and a bit of dark shadow or you can leave it as is.

mascara! so important. you can skip everything except tinted moisturizer and mascara (and lip balm!) in a rush. I love love love covergirl lashblast. easy to control, great volume and separation.

lip gloss or balm of course...you can try a lipstick, but keep the colors simple...don't do orange or red until you KNOW you can handle it : )

remember: the whole idea of wearing makeup is to wear as little as possible. don't cover more of your skin than you have to, and just think about enhancing your features...make your cheeks look sunkissed, your eyes look big and lashes look thick, and your lips look plump and dewy.

hope this helps!

• don't go for the really cheap stuff. but I think almay is really good brand to go with and it's not like dior or clinique. it's relatively cheaper than the high scale brands and not too bad.

i sometimes switch between high end and lower priced items, depending on my job status. but um, maybelline has a really awesome mascara, rimmel powders can have natural minerals in it, almay foundation and concealer in my opinion are really good too, I only use covergirl for eye shadows. these and then you can try something like clinique powders for face as well, I love their skin care line, but I buy it only when they have sale. and yeah

• I see one girl gave you a really good answer haha. But I'll suggest some products I love (I also have undereye circles) that are reasonably priced.

For under the eyes, I use a concealer stick (try NYC in 2 shades lighter than your skin tone). I then cover that with my foundation (Cover Girl Whipped foundation, this should blend right into your skin tone, to test rub it in on your cheek). This foundation goes on soo nicely and you can apply it on your whole face without ending up with a "mask". Follow with a powder foundation closest to your skin tone (not too light). Again I like CoverGirl but I've heard good things about mineral.

For mascara, if you want something more bold try CoverGirl Lash Blast. For something more subtle, Maybelline Great Lash in the pink bottle. Make sure you moisturize every day and exfoliate at least once a week so your make up goes on smooth.

Check out some videos on youtube. The girls on there have some really great tutorials :)

• the best thing you can do is go to a department store and have a professional do a make-over on you and make up a color palate for you, then take that to the drug store and pick out what you want, as for eyeliner start with a pencil it will be easier for you then liquid, just do a basic black and keep the lines small try NYC brand its the cheapest, then choose some colors of eyeshadow from your palate of colors you can get cheap eye shadow. then get a good mascara which is going to be the most expensive of your purchases the best I have found is the one with a pink bottle and a lime green top(sorry can't remember the name) and yes I would buy a cheap brush set as the eyeshadow brushes work better then the little stick things that come with the eyeshadow...as for cover up I would stick with just a powder if you have never worn make-up before as cover-up could cause a break-out and jsut try a simple pressed powder

• I have circles under my eyes too and I use an TRU match foundation and it covers them right up. If you go to like a Walgreen's and need help getting a color for your foundation you can ask the consultant at the make up and perfume counter. And start out with some neutral colors first so you don't get too carried away. Make up can be addicting when you first start using it, just don't go overboard.

You can also get some ideas from magazines, and tips on make up and what colors you should use.

USUAL MAKE-UP ROUTINE:

*Foundation/ or powder

- (you can use a blush/ bronzer for extra color, it makes all the difference)

*Eye shadow

*Eye liner

*Mascara

*Lip gloss

P.S. you can get your make up done for free at make up counters to see what kind of look you want, I'd recommend Clinique, they have really good make up and it's important that you use clean make up that doesn't have pore clogging stuff.

• A good cheap cosmetic line is NYX. There color payoff is really nice and probably the highest quality you can get from a drugstore. As far as colors and such, got with what you are comfortable. For concealer, the Maybelline mineral concealer is really nice. Just get some neutral basic colors that interest you. Makeup is about the individual person, so go with your gut!

• if you just want basics, concealer, foundation, and pressed powder will be your best friends. I really like boi-ing concealer or erase paste concealer from sephora, and maybelline dream matte foundation and matte powder, which you can get at target. The boing concealer takes care of reddness, and erase paste will totally zap under-eye circles. (I'm very Irish and totally get your problem.) Personally, I'm very pale, and if you're pale too, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say DONT use eyeliner. It can look wayyy too harsh. Try lining your eyes with a small brush and some nuetral brown shadows. A white shadow on the inner corner of your eyes makes them pop, and mascara will be your best friend, too. Good luck!

• FIT OFF WHEN IT COMES TO CONCEALER FOR DARK CIRCLES THEE BEST ONE IS FROM MAC...SAVE UP 14.50 AND TRUST ME ITS TEE BEST AND LAST A VERY LONG TIME! GET ALOT OF NATURAL COLORS FIST CAUSE YOU HAVE TO EASE INTO IT IF ALL YOUVE EVER WORN IS LIP GLOSS! GET A GOOD MASCARA I PEFER MAYBELINE TURBO BOOST ITS HECCA GOOD. NEXT GET A GOODL BLUSH VERY LIGHT AND W/A LIGHT BRONZER IN IT TOO THEN GET A GOOD LIPGLOSS W/A TINT MB A MAC ONE. AND FOR A NITE TIME LOOK ADD BLACK LINER TO THE BOTTOM OF YOUR EYES AND SMUDGE IT AND YOUR EADY FOR A NITE OF FUN! I NEVER USE A CONCEALER BRUSH THOUGH AND THEN GO OUT AND HAVE FUN EXPLORING MORE AND MORE COLORS!

• The best thing to do would be to go to a store and ask one of the makeup girls who work at the make up counters, they are really helpful and will help pick out the right foundation for your skin tone. Maybe get some mascara to open your eyes and concealer would work best for your dark eye circles. To look your age, eye liner can make you look older, black works best on most people or try a brown or green pencil. Try brands like maybelline which are good but not expensive xx

• You can try on different looks using my free virtual makeover. My site has tons of makeup application tips and you can order free samples of mineral color makeup. Check it out!

link

• That is my new favorite site.

• I'm glad you like the site. Be sure to order your free mineral color samples!

I know others have mentioned the high price of makeup, as a consultant with Mary Kay I get all of my makeup for 50% 0ff. It is easy to get started and all the info is on my website.

link

• revlon mascara only. works wonders !

• buy NYC. it'll cost you very little, and its a good startedr product. basically, put concealer on everywhere, especially under your eyes. put blush on at the apples of your cheeks, brush a light brown eye shadow over your eyes, top it with mascara and lip gloss=perfect, natural looking look!