How to prevent my hair from losing its color?

ok so here it is my hair is natrually dark brown but with a hint of red. I die my hair black every 4 months or so. but the problem is that my hiar undies and keeps getting lighter I use shampoo and conditioner for colored hair and don't use products with alcohol but it still undies and turns into a goldish brown. I have used revlon lorial garnier. does this happen to any of you?

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyones hair holds dye differently. Yours just might not hold dye as well as others. But the second mistake you're making is using box dyes. Those dyes are complete crap. Your best bet would be to get your hair done professionally. I know its more expensive but the dye is of a much higher quality that they use and holds better. Or if you have a friend who is a cosmetologist you could have them get you some dye from those stores that only sell to licensed hair dressers. I dye my hair a deep auburn red and my friend is licensed and does my hair and the dye she gets lasts in my hair much longer than the boxed stuff.

• i can get the dies from the stores they buy it from becuase there is a few around here I have tried them but it still doesn't stay for long the most it has stayed in my hair was for about 3 weeks after that my hair gets lighter I even get blond shades. do you think I should maybe go for a lighter color since my hair doesn't keep the dark black?

• Okay I would try a brown black instead. My sister actually had a similar problem. She was naturally blond as a child but her hair turned brown w age and she dyed is blue black before and it didn't hold well at all, it would actually turn kinda grey after about 2 weeks and look all nasty. But then she bought a brown black dye and it took to her hair really well. You can also buy red neutralizers at the hair stores, just ask one of the workers and it'll settle down the red tones in your hair.

• ohh alright thanks :) I will be trying that thanks for your answer it helped..

What Guys Said 2

• Yeah I know how you feel, I'm finally beginning to get some gray. :/

• Re dye it. If it's losing color isn't this the obvious choice? As people have said, different people's hair holds dye for longer, mine holds it for about 3 weeks before it starts fading.

• yeah I do that but I'm tired of redieing my hair every 3 weeks :/...

• no it doesn't look that bad

• Well if it means anything, I think your hair looks great the way it is. :)

What Girls Said 7

• i don't think there's anything you can do.

hair color fades no matter what, especially if your hair is porous. it fades faster.

im tired of constantly retouching my hair. I dyed it back to brown and it's coming out so fast. its fading nicely but I'm just going to let it grow out to my natural color.

color just doesn't stay on for long.

it could be the chemicals in the water as well.

• I wouldn't know that many methods to prevent your hair from losing it's color besides, not to use hot styling tools (for some reason I think that's what undies my hair, the heat) also the sun tends to gnaw at the dye in my hair and just undyes it, I think hot styling tools and the sun have heat in common which undyes the hair. As for how to prevent it, I don't have any ways of preventing that I only know what undyes it,...guess you can't avoid such a thing...besides trying not to wash hair as much but that'd be kinda gross so you should redye it,..even if you don't like redying it (like me because of the ammonia and scent) just use a kind that is ammonia free cause that stuff causes cancer and that isn't too sweet.

• Skip the shampoo more often

• Rinse with cold water..I have naturally dark brown almost black so I only dye lighter and yeah it usually turns lighter with time..try using Clairol jazzing semi permanet hair dye in the mean time

• Try to use branded hair color.

• You can re dye it and escape more shampoo often.

• Use color shampoo