Why do guys wear tight underpants under their swim trunks these days?

I've noticed this during my last couple of vacations at the beach, and now after my recent vacation again. Nearly all guys (at least the ones under 30) wear tight undies under their swim trunks. What the heck is the reason behind it?

They wear them in a way that the name of the brand (Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.) on the elastic waste band is visible...if that's the reason, to just show of you're wearing brand undies under your swim trunks, than that's extremely lame and ridiculous IMO!

But some of them don't have any brand names on them, so I'm not sure what the actual reason behind it is. I mean, is it just so they can wear their swim trunks lower, like they would wear their normal pants? But why? What for? Can someone please explain this? I think it looks pretty stupid.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's just another version of the fashion where guys sag their jeans to reveal their underwear, which is a fashion I just loathe! lol Of course when swimming or walking the beach, it has the added benefit of keeping things concealed nice a tight if a guy is suddenly overcome with an erection, which would be rather embarrassing! lol

When I was younger, I once got one in the swimming pool when a really attractive girl got into the pool, so I had to distract myself and wait for it to go down before I could get out. That could've been very embarrassing! lol Afterwards I thought to myself that I should've gone up to her and said to her something like 'look at what you've just caused', but then I'm not sure what she would have done if that offended her, which it most likely would have done? lol

• Hey, thanks for best answer! :o)

I don't wear any underwear under my swim shorts when I go swimming or to the beach... I just have to be careful not to allow myself to become aroused when there are hot girls around, because it's easily done and potentially very embarrassing! lol

What Guys Said 13

• It is to keep their "Boys" in place, It is often more comfortable then having them moving around while swimming, also the inside of mens swim trunks is not very comfortable on your private area. They tend to rub and chafe which as you can imagine is not the most pleasant feeling in that area. Does this help? Do you want more detail?

• For the same reason, girls wear a thong and regular panties over them. The under 30 generation, is strange.

• I'm not sure. Maybe it's for bulking the package as honeyitsme said, but it could also be for security. If they're wearing trunks or regular shorts that don't have an inner then things can... Move.

Another reason could be their insecurity about exiting the water. My trunks at least tend to stick to my skin when I get out and that creates an outline of my lower body parts.

I don't ever wear anything under my trunks, far too proud of my outline ;P

• I'd consider doing it for this reason:

My swim shorts are very loose. As are all shorts, and when there's wind, they pretty much mould the exact shape of my d*** and balls for everyone to see. Same for when it's wet and I come out of the water.

Some people might think its somewhat inappropriate to show your private parts off like that albeit accidentally.

I don't actually do it though, cause it's too uncomfortable and I like the wind on my private parts, but I'll be changing swimming trunks, that problem might be due to my trunks specifically.

• It is possible it bunches up their package and makes it project forward more, making for a beefier appearance - otherwise roomy trunks can make it just disappear, regardless of water temperature.

I never would contemplated - the last thing I'd want is wear two pairs of underwear on a hot beach. Even one layer is one too many sometimes.

• Exactly! Isn't that the great thing about being on the beach? To wear just one piece of thin cloth and feel free? But those guys wear tight pants and shorts above them...sounds ridiculous to me.

• I've actually never heard of that before. Did you see a lot of guys' underwear whilst on vacation? ;)

• At the beach, I kid you not, about 95% of all guys between 15 and 30 were wearing tights under their swim trunks. I've noticed that on my last few vacations actually.

• Weird. After reading some of the comments, though, it's not a bad idea. Comfort and concealment.

• To me it seems just stupid. I mean, is it really a coincident that they all wear them in a way so that the are extra visible?

• its to hide the unwanted erection .Would you like to look a guy with is d*** up in public ? well he will be called a perv instantly but you girls don't need hide anything because no one sees erected nipples :-D maybe a little

• That can't be the real reason...I mean, for decades young guys have worn normal swim trunks to the beach and it was never a problem.

• it cannot be... is just like your saying the dresses in the 80s were more revealing than now ? everything has been sexualized from dresses to a can of pepsi. guys don't want their junk to be floating in the air.

• Google pictures of bikinis from the 80s and 90s and you'll see for yourself.

• I don't. Possibly:

They wear it just in case their trunks fall off?

For extra support if the trunks are loose or fall?

The netting in the swim trunks might be uncomfortable?

A speedo should work.

• To show off, maybe so they don't get pantsed.

• Thats a good question.. I didn't know that guys did either.. I have never worn any..!

• Because my Swiming trunks are either to big for they slide down a lot when I get out the water.

• i really have no idea why

• They might not be swim trunks, they may just be unlined board shorts, which would show off a bit more than would normally be considered appropriate without something on underneath.

• I kid you not, about 95% of all guys between 15 and 30 were them like that. There has to be some fashion reason behind it.

What Girls Said 10

• I've never seen anything like that happen. But maybe it is a new trend. I mean trends go around fast. Or maybe, it's just a way of letting girls see what they've got, and a confidence boost.

• I heard it chaffes you guys or something like they need an extra lining to be more comfortable as far as only wearing tight shorts I never heard that before but then again I am girl with my own parts to worry about

• I've noticed a lot of guy who've done this as well, and wondered why!

• its a big thing in italy, I think its to keep everything in check.Its like when we girls wear nipple tape under a dress just in case somehting decides to pop out

• But for decades it has never been a problem for guys to just wear normal swim trunks, so why is it now? and on a hot sunny beach, isn't the great thing to just wear one piece of cloth, not shorts plus tights? That can't be comfortable when it's all hot and sweaty. I think they're all just fashion victims.

• well this is just a guess, but I can imagine that the stuff is giggling in a pair of loose trunks. and most guys, at least in italy don't tan. they are just in the pool or in the sea so they stay cool and the boxers doesn't bother them

• Lol I've noticed it too. So I started asking guys and they either said it keeps everything in place, they don't know, or so it doesn't pull the hair.

• And then why does that have to automatically mean they were their trunks so low that half of their tights are visible? Isn't that just another silly fashion thing?

• Ot keep their junk from moving around like how we wear sport bras I guess

• Well if they are wearing loose trunks you kind of want them too... So you won't see their stuff (outline when they get wet, or so you can't see up them).

• Haha that's stranger

• Never noticed

• i thought they did this anyway. kinda gross when they dont

• What?! Do you wear underwear under your bathing suit / bikini?! Swim trunks are lined, it has always been perfectly normal to wear them without anything else!