Why do I have curly hair but my parents do not?

OK, so this seems pretty simple, right? My mother has pure straight hair and my dad has wavy hair and both sides of the family have straight and wavy hair, but not curly. I would have thought I would have gotten it from a grandparent if not my parents, but they do not have curly hair. When I was little I had curls(of course because everybody does) and as I grew up I lost them and it got straight/wavy. As I turned 12 I began getting ringlets and my hair got thicker and curlier, I am now 14 and I still have them. This makes little sense to me, could somebody please explain? Thank you! :)

Most Helpful Girl

• There was likely a "curly hair" recessive gene that was getting passed through your family. They all had a dominant straight gene to counter it, but with you, the recessive gene was expressed. For example, your mom and dad were both probably 'Aa' and 'Aa'. Which means there's a 25% chance one of their kids would have an 'aa' allele, and that would mean curly hair for you.

What Guys Said 5

• Your curly hair is so adorable, I wouldn't even question it.

But genotypes are a hoot.

• study biology. Look up gregor mendel and it'll help you out. Possibly because your grandparents or your great grandparents had it but the gene was silenced or it was a carrier gene that hasn't been expressed yet in your parents until it was passed down to you.

• Your mom had a thing with the pool guy? =P

• Some things you might be better off not knowing, girl.

• Maybe it's someone further up, like grandparents that had curly hair.

What Girls Said 4

• Maybe its puberty-people's hair changes (color and texture) same thing happens with grey/white hair or pregnancy

• Ya it happens my curls got tighter

• Secret adoption?!

• genetics are complicated.